Philosophy, where do I start?

14 posts in this topic

Hello, I am interested in developing a solid understanding of epistemology and metaphysics. What are some good introductory books on these subjects? Suggestions appreciated. 

[insert quote here]

Start with YouTube. There are tons of free lectures available.

You can also start with Stanford's encyclopedia of philosophy.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

See my Journal Volume 3 on my Profile Page.  I laid Philosophy out like a buffet table for everybody including myself.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I began with introduction to philosophy and philosophy for dummies, then I moved to existential spirituality after realizing that philosophy is a disease of the mind. The truth is within, the western mind is too clingy on thinking that it has forgotten this. Philosophy and the ego are seen as king. Therefore there will be no truth for them, no realization. A civilization that get's tricked by materialism and philosophy is an immature civilization that needs good enough time to mature into spirituality.

1 hour ago, Spacious said:

@123456789  Rene Descartes is an excellent starting point, especially Cartesian Doubt.

Nice.  That's how a lot of people choose to introduce Philosophy.  It's a classic entry point.  Philosophy is like a pool where there is no real shallow end.  You just have to jump in and figure it out.  It's like coding in that sense.  Somebody has to throw you into the pool and you have to learn how to swim on your own.  And you just keep absorbing more and more by cracking on it day after day and sooner or later you're building Web Apps or creating and discovering your own original Philosophical views.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Follow Academy of Ideas on youtube. . . Best philosophy channel out there...

Start with ancient philosophy. Know the horse before the cart.

@123456789 Also: if you're interested in existential philosophy, you can check out Eric Dodson's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr8ziBzqZlGAvv4krfAAORQ

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

13 hours ago, DanielV said:

Start with ancient philosophy. Know the horse before the cart.

Rather, never put Descartes before the horse. Har, har.

Don't start with the philosophers themselves. For the best birds eye view with examples of deeper analysis see John Hospers' "Introduction to Philisophical Analysis.

My first degree was in Philosophy. Couldn't have managed it without this guide. It is quite brilliant.

One interesting approach would be to study the presocratic philosophers first, and move onward in chronological order. 

This approach helps immensly in understandic science, why not philosophy too :)

Aristotle or Early Platonic dialogues(Socrates).

I recommend Scribd or Audible, for audiobooks. Bear in mind to actually do philosophy is practical, requires trust and by extension morality. Listening currently to "Walden" by Ralph Waldo Emerson,(recommended by a forum member) said something similar in the first chapter. It might be you lack certain qualities, in which case a self-knowledge or psychological focus might be more suitable.

I would skip a lot of the fragmentary nature of YouTube and get a more Holistic knowledge direct from various works.

Edited by RichardY