Sea

Should I Take Fluoxetine?

24 posts in this topic

My doctor prescribed it yesterday for my obsessions. For anyone who has had experience with this drug, how did you find it? 

My opinion and understanding of drugs for mental health: 

These drugs don't fix the root cause, only symptoms. People experience a wide variety of symptoms from taking the drugs. A small percentage actually say they've experienced major improvement,  as well as a small percentage saying that they experienced very negative benefits. 

I've heard many problems with these drugs, such as addiction & numbing of emotions. I'm sure there are many more. 

I'd also look into latest research of the drug, but keep in mind drug companies sometimes facilitate the research on their drugs. I say this because, I was once prescribed ineffective medication, so I didn't take it. 

Generally I'd avoid them, as much healthier, more effective options, and root cause approaches are available.

Some healthy forms of treatment include,

Neurofeedback (check Leo's 40 ways of self-actualization) 

Socializing 

Doing something activity you find enjoyable

Meditation 

20-30 minutes of cardio 

I'm also open-minded to them being used as a tool in certain situations, perhaps temporary or you are extremely desperate or as needed. But you would need to understand yourself, your nature and if it's right for you. Generally I'd avoid them though 

I agree 100% with @d0ornokey

I had the same problem in the past, those ruminations are usually perpetuated due to high levels of anxiety, I cured my anxiety by having a large breakfast everyday when I wake up (some of carbs, lots of proteins, some fat, and lots of salad) and making sure I sleep at least 7 hours everyday, and that I go to bed and wake up at the same time, the contrast was so huge you wouldn't believe it.

What I have to say is that, you first must CURE the physical problems, I am not saying you have any physical conditions but make sure ALL THINGS are normal optimal physically wise, your eating properly, sleeping properly  etc etc, in the past I ALWAYS thought it was in my mind my mind my mind, for more than 10 years I thought i was only on my mind the problem and I invested in everything you can imagine to fix it, but, if your levels of hormones, sugar, vitamins, minerals are unbalanced that create disarmony and there is no way your going to cure a problem in your mind if the root cause is physical, in your body, it's like trying to climb a mountain with a rock pulling you down, you will always fall back to square 1, my anxiety levels was so terrible, I would feel body ache all day, I'd be extremely angry, I'd be ruminating over and over on the same subject for hours and hours, guess what? Changing Diet and cutting sugar in my case was the top 1 most life changing thing I have ever done in my life in my 30 years of life.

I HIGHLY recommend you to watch this:

Lastly, TAKE ACTION, things will not change if you do not take real action on it, explore, try stuff, then observe the results, see what works better or not, eventually you will discover what works and what doesn't, the things that works will make such a huge contrast that you WILL know about it, just make sure your observing the results after such actions, if right now things aren't working for you, life is just telling you that the life style your living right now isn't working, something is missing, that can be 1 thing or a bunch of things, you must search for those.

@Sea I personally haven't take it. My dad's a psychiatrist, but I'm far from being knowledgeable when it comes to psychiatry. I take another SSRI called citilopram for depression/anxiety and so I think my experience is comparable to you in some ways. I've been taking the drug for roughly 6 months now. 

When it comes to antidepressants, I think that they are the right option for some people when their mental state is in real dissaray and misery. I was almost suicidal over half a year ago, and I was quite miserable. I had this thing a few times where I would hyperventilate for 40 minutes straight whilst crying. I would punch mattresses and scream to myself. 

For someone who has a very low chance of pulling themselves back up from their feet, psychiatric drugs are a good crutch. If I hadn't taken citilopram who knows what kind of emotional wreck I'd be in now.

That being said, the psychiatric drug won't cure you and so you absolutely must take other action to relieve any depressive and obsessive issues you have, whether or not you decide to take fluoxetine. You must try to drastically rewire your brain. Whether or not you decide to take fluoxetine, you gotta exercise a lot, quit your addictions, eat healthy and do consciousness work. 

If you do decide to take fluoxetine, you can try getting off of it later when your life is back together. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao Damn, I don't think my mental state is that bad. Yeah, I see the problem, this is a crutch. But I've had this problem for years. It existed even at times when I was exercising regularly and when I was eating very healthy (and my current diet isn't too bad either). The only thing mentioned on this thread that I've never done is neurofeedback.

If you want to turn into a zombie go for it. If you want to remain human stay away.

Adjust diet/lifestyle choices and look into natural herbs for your conditions.

B R E A T H E

Fluoxetine is a artificial drug that will mess up the natural functioning of your brain, leading to addiction, and even brain damage. 

The drug is used to release serotonin so that you feel happier. Long term meditation for 10-20 minutes a day will have the same effect without the drugs side effects, and connect you more with your deepest spiritual self. There are many studies on this which show that meditation causes serotonin to be released by the brain, thus leading to less stress, and ends depression. This is the meditation I recommend:

Next is diet. Even more important than exercise. Buy only from your local farmers market: the fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds; and have some fun creating new delicious meals for yourself to enjoy. Eliminate all dairy, and wheat, canned food, and that which has any man-made chemicals inside of it :) Your body, mind and spirit will infinitely thank you for this.

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

https://www.drugs.com/fluoxetine.html

The list of side effect is longer than a week before the salary. If you are so out of balance that you cannot function properly, look into it for limited amount of time. 

At the same time work on cleaning your diet of heavy foods, processed, sweetened, burnt, fried, baked + dairy and add more wholefoods.  Start exercising 3-5 times a week and meditate for 20 minutes twice a day. Any mental issues will likely dissipate and you will be able to get of your meds pretty soon. You may also try this without the meds...that would be ideal. 

Don't look outward for help friend, all you need is within. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

14 hours ago, Sea said:

neurofeedback

this was thing that caused the most results for me, id highly recommend going to a center instead of your pill. neurofeedback is permanent, fast, cheaper, 5x more effective and has phenomenal reviews in curing mental health. sounds too good to be true honestly.

I am 100% confident in its ability to *nearly* replace all pills for mental health. However, big pharma is a massive obstacle

I highly highly recommend you read leo's book on this in the book list. after i experienced the benefits for myself, i wanted to share it to the world. 

the best knowledge is not mainstream!!

Edited by d0ornokey

Do you feel you need the drugs? 

Or do you feel you can balance your brain chemistry naturally.

You can find ways to produce and release serotonin naturally.

Exercise, tantra etc...

The only drug I’d advise to take prescribed from the doctor are antipsychotics. 

IM a medical student and I think Fluoxetine is the safest antidepressant, It works by selectively blocking serotonin reuptake receptors and thereby making you feel good... If your psychiatrist suggested you then its OK to stick with the dosage.. never stop Fluoxetine Immediately if you want to stop it contact with your physician and meanwhile on the other side work on Yourself and practise mindfullness and discover why do You feel sad and depressed... Mediattion is good..Try eating for 2 months... No side effects oF Fluoxetine only Minor GIT upsets dont worry... it is a selective blocker and don’t interfere with Cognitive and motor system... just dont stop it and dont miss the doses.. hope you will be well soon.

?IngitScooby ?

Eventually, when you make it to the level of grad school, and are still looking at yourself like how the F did a shmuck like me get here, you will finally realize the depth of the fact that noone knows what they're doing.

I say go for it and tell us what you think.  Or don't and keep googling for better answers.  Or go for it AND keep googling.  Or join a monastery for a year.

All solid options.

@Ingit IM a master of life and i "know" fluoxetine and almost all pharmaceutical drugs do not belong in the human body whatsoever and will cause long term damage to the body/brain. If you really want something safe try CBD oil as it mimics the natural flow. Trust me, I understand nature and the human body to its core, the knowledge is activated within my DNA.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@pluto I respect your experience with life... I’m just making comments regard to what i know... Fluoxetine is safest of all... Tricyclics are bad I can say... Overall Fluoxetine is Good If somebody wants to get good along with his self work and can leave taking after some time... I’m not arguing. :)

?IngitScooby ?

7 hours ago, Ingit said:

@pluto I respect your experience with life... I’m just making comments regard to what i know... Fluoxetine is safest of all... Tricyclics are bad I can say... Overall Fluoxetine is Good If somebody wants to get good along with his self work and can leave taking after some time... I’m not arguing. :)

Neither am i my friend i am just stating what i know and understand within :) Didn't mean to appear to you that way. My intentions are always pure.

B R E A T H E

Some terrible and dangerous advice in here. I use Lexapro which is quite similar and it has changed my life. I am finally making excellent progress with my practice. Pharmaceuticals=bad is an ego illusion

Atleast you tried it. It works well for some people like me and others I have met. The opposite of feeling like a zombie for me. Great if you can fInd something that works better

I have been taking prozac for 3 years now, for me It´s worth it. My goal with prozac isn´t to magically cure mental disorders (depression and anxiety in my case) but to be functional in the practical world and keep on studying/working. I would take it if and only if I had a serious pressure to achieve a material goal like fixing my finances, but in order to really treat de issue, drugs don´t do anything by themselves.

I don't think its fair to give advice if you are still on it either.

Its sort of like being high 24/7 and saying its great and worth it and what happens when you wanna stop and be natural because when you come off it that's when it can backfire or at least that is when you notice it the most because you are no longer chemically "numbed out". Pharmaceuticals are a problem because they go against nature from being created by those not living in harmony with its natural flow. You may not notice it at first but eventually you will.

There are far better alternatives and natural substances that work in harmony with your body and not force and manipulate things around creating unnatural reactions that build up over time and can cause possibly irreversible damage.

Irreversible damage is almost unheard of when you using something that evolved in a natural sense, its designed for us. Although there is no profit in cures so they are rejected and ignored and classed as "alternative medicine/secondary".

When you understand nature, you understand self.

B R E A T H E