The White Belt

Noise cancelling headphones

24 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

Can anybody recommend some headphones that completely block out external sounds, for meditation?

I've amazoned it, and I get a lot of music headphones, but I don't know if it means it cancels out noise when the music is only on.

I want ones that will cancel external noise even when off. 

Thanks in advance! 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

Bose Noise Cancellation Quiet Comfort, used them on an airplane once, didnt hear squat??

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Rilles Even when the headphones weren't on?

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

where will you use them? if you want to cancel some street noise in your apartment then you dont need to turn them on

Very noisy neighbors and people chit-chatting in my house.

― Shunryu Suzuki

they will work for that, unless the people are screamingxD, how about you try them in a store? im sure youll be satisfied

If you dont want to make an expensive invest i'd just use good ear plugs or even wet toilet paper squeezed and molded into your ear.

works great paired witha an elastic neck/face band for blindfold and then any cheap  big headphones over that.

You'll be pretty much blind in complete darkness and deaf too!

Just now, blazed said:

wet toilet paper squeezed and molded into your ear.

i loled, but i understandxD

@The White Belt in live in my van and i mostly spend my time in areas of outstanding natural beauty . It's bliss :) internet signal is ropey and I have to go to the gym to shower. Apart from that it's incredible for meditation..i am on the verge of being a yogi

source: cook-greuter.com 

WARNING!

Noise cancellation headphone will probably destroy your hearing. 

I had many problems because of my Sennheiser Dj headphones with noise cancelation. They are only useful, let's say 1h a day in a very noisy background, more than that is dangerous. 

8 minutes ago, Rilles said:

@Quanty Really? What problems?

Canceling the noise in a loop near your ears will make your hearing, in the long run, suffer for hearing long distance sounds. Is like becoming myopic (nearsighted), but auditory speaking.  

I had to do many months of Healing Meditation, to reverse this. 

Edited by Quanty

@Quanty I see, ill make sure to not turn mine on when i use them, thanks for the heads up

I quit noise cancelation and any noise cancelation speakers, even normal headphones. I now only stick to classic 2.1 speakers. It was life-changing. Because I was a compulsive headphones/music on, all the time, in my teens and twenties. 

1 hour ago, The White Belt said:

I want ones that will cancel external noise even when off. 

@The White Belt Nothing is going to be totally sound 'proof' but I would think a pair of ear plugs and over ear sound protection would be close to total silence. Headphones mostly mask external sound and some are better at that than others. The type of ear pads used make a difference too.

Get $2 foam earplugs at Walmart. Far superior to overpriced noise-cancelling gadgetry.

Sometimes simplest is best.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

How about military style ear defenders? Never used them myself but I've heard they are the shiz

2 hours ago, Rilles said:

i loled, but i understandxD

the wet toilet paper seems to work better than everything else! it molds so well and and water inside the fiber blocks all the sounds completely, only problem is you don't want to get water dripping inside your ear :D

Master Meditation in the middle of Chaos and you will become a master. The more challenging the task, the greater the reward.

B R E A T H E