Ananta

Enlightenment Sickness

163 posts in this topic

In case anyone is interested-

"Enlightenment sickness boils down to this:  if the apparent individual person — i.e. the ego — is claiming to be enlightened, then the ego has co-opted the knowledge and is using it to glorify itself.  In such a case, “enlightenment” is just another badge of honor that the apparent individual person is pinning on himself and using to set himself apart from and usually higher than the rest of the ignorant masses in order to compensate for a deep-rooted and ever-obtaining sense of incompleteness and inadequacy.  Thus, the vision of non-duality has obviously not been assimilated and the apparent individual person is still taken to be one’s identity.  The Self (capital "S") doesn’t get “enlightened” because the Self is the light. When you realize who you are, you realize you are not the human being you appear to be.  Nor is anyone else.  Nor, for that matter, is there anyone else.  There is only you, awareness, with innumerable “designs” appearing within your being.  This is why we say moksha, or liberation, which is what constitutes “enlightenment” according to the scriptures, is from the apparent individual person, not for the apparent individual person."

~T. Schmidt

Edited by Anna1

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I forgot to reference my source, I've now added him (Ted Schmidt-Vedanta teacher)

1 hour ago, Saumaya said:

Are you calling a premature claim of enlightenment as enlightenment sickness?

Essentially, yes. So, If Self-realization occurs without assimilation, then the ego will re-appear after the experience  (or actually non-experience) and claim "it" had an experience of the absolute.

When the non-experience really showed "it" (ego) is an illusion.  If it doesn't realize there is more work (assimilation of Self knowledge), then it (ego) may think it's enlightened...may even hang a sign and start teaching! Lol.

Once Self-knowledge is fully assimilated then it's fully understood that moksha/liberation/enlightenment is FROM the apparent person. Although, awareness will continue to be "associated" with the apparent person.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

21 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Essentially, yes. So, If Self-realization occurs without assimilation, then the ego will re-appear after the experience  (or non-experience) and claim "it" had an experience of the absolute.

When the non-experience really showed "it" (ego) is an illusion.  If it doesn't realize there is more work (assimilation of Self knowledge), then it (ego) may think it's enlightened...may even hang a sign and start teaching! Lol.

Once Self-knowledge is fully assimilated then it's fully understood that moksha/liberation/enlightenment is FROM the apparent person. Although, awareness will continue to be "associated" with the apparent person.

Got it.

Can you recommend some books on vedanta and zen?

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

6 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

Got it.

I have no background in Zen, but Vedanta books for Westerners-

"Self-knowledge- The King of Secrets" by Ted Schmidt 

And

"How to obtain enlightenment" by James Swartz

James and Ted also have a free "full series" of Vedanta teaching on Youtube.

I'm not pushing this on anyone, so please don't think that. It's just my background and if your so inclined to look into then, so be it. 

Peace♡

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 There is no such thing as the experiance of reality. Reality just is. If you believe there is an enlightened self experiencing reality, you're not enlightened.

7 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@Anna1 There is no such thing as the experiance of reality. Reality just is. If you believe there is an enlightened self experiencing reality, you're not enlightened.

First off, are you calling awareness/consciousness reality? Second, I called it a non-experience. Third, I don't believe there is an elightened self (ego), that's the point of my post. Perhaps you don't understand what I wrote?

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

2 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Third, I don't believe there is an elightened self (ego), that's the point of my post.

@Anna1 I see exactly what your saying.:)

1 minute ago, cetus56 said:

@Anna1 I see exactly what your saying.:)

Cool, I'll be more then happy to clarify if not.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Not necessary.  If you read what I said you will see that I totally agree with you. Let me rephrase it. If there is someone who thinks they are enlightened, they are not enlightened. Would you agree? 

Just now, cetus56 said:

@Anna1 Not necessary.  If you read what I said you will see that I totally agree with you. Let me rephrase it. If there is someone who thinks they are enlightened, they are not enlightened. Would you agree? 

Agreed!

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1

Why do you seek to be agreed with so eagerly?  It’s as if you have this very rigid concept of Enlightenment that you think is the ‘one true’ concept of Enlightenment — and your Ego can’t stand the idea that others differ with you — you’re always arguing and trying to correct people.  Who does that?  Enlightened people don’t do that.  Playing the role of the Enlightenment Sheriff all the time shows your ‘Enlightenment’ is way too conceptual.  There’s an attainment level way past that.  Clinging so hard to your theories of Enlightenment is paradoxically what’s holding you back.  Enlightenment is not a science!  It will never be a science with rigid rules and such.  That goes 180 degrees from Enlightenment.  You gotta break outta your rigid rules — you’re clinging way too hard to concepts.  I’m trying to help you.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor When did I say I'm enlightened? Seems you've missed the whole point of the post!

Sounds like you have many judgements. None of which are my problem. :)

Up until today, I had another poster following me around the forum proclaiming "he" was enlightened, but that wasn't me! I'm glad to be on my own.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@pluto Yes, awareness under the spell of ignorance, that has "seemingly" forgotten it's own true nature, playing hide and seek with itself. It's the only game in town..lol.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Some more good stuff from Ted-

"Self-realization happens the moment you apprehend your true nature as limitless conscious existence.

Self-actualization (assimilation ) is the unshakable conviction that your true nature is limitless conscious existence.

This conviction occurs as the result of nididhyasana, which is a process of continuous meditation on the teachings of Vedanta and the apprehension of your true nature to which they inevitably lead. After the initial realization/apprehension of the true nature of the self, you must engage in nididhyasana until such time as you are as thoroughly and unshakably convinced that you are limitless conscious existence as you one were that you were the body-mind-sense complex with which you are associated"

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

12 hours ago, Saumaya said:

Got it.

If you have awakened then why do u still read those books?

24 minutes ago, Ether said:

If you have awakened then why do u still read those books?

I dont need to. These authors seem interesting.

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

11 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

I dont need to. These authors seem interesting.

How is living life awakened? Tell me about emotions.