Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

1,828 posts in this topic

Is this a good position for starting Kriya?

my first homework is to find my posture. I like to meditate like this .im wondering if I can continue so for Kriya?

7A96FBD1-3BFD-474D-8236-686A69041131.jpeg

also can someone link me to Leo’s blog post about yoga?

is there a search function on his blog posts ??

4 hours ago, lostmedstudent said:

also can someone link me to Leo’s blog post about yoga?

https://www.actualized.org/insights/dont-half-ass-yoga

4 hours ago, lostmedstudent said:

my first homework is to find my posture. I like to meditate like this .im wondering if I can continue so for Kriya?

I guess it's fine, definitely for the beginning. Just make sure to keep the spine straight and not to lean your back against something.

I think I read that doing yoga in the lotus pose, or an easier variant, is a bit more efficient. But I guess that's very subtle and makes only a difference if you are an advanced practitioner.

On 10/29/2019 at 7:10 PM, SvanteTheBeast said:

Is the book on kriya yoga on Leos booklist called "A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya"?

No. If you can't afford the booklist, you can read this free online book: http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads1.html

It's not as good as the one's on Leo's booklist but probably the next best option. 

Also, read through this thread, you might find some helpful stuff

8 hours ago, lostmedstudent said:

I think this is a little intense on the ankles if done for long periods of time doing kriya, even though I think in shorter periods this is a really good position(in terms of pure mobility/flexibility of your body). 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

9 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

I think this is a little intense on the ankles if done for long periods of time doing kriya, even though I think in shorter periods this is a really good position(in terms of pure mobility/flexibility of your body). 

Then just sit on the table and let the ankles hang over the edgexD

On 11/2/2019 at 3:14 PM, lostmedstudent said:

I use this as well, since I don't really have any mobility to do the half lotus.

I have a question: can different people have their chakras in different locations ? In most of the books and videos about chakra locations they depict the solar plexus chakra as being in the level of the navel but I feel that mine is way above the navel, as in for the sacral I still can't locate it cause i keep trying to feel at the base of my spine but I feel nothing there.

Also do any of you know of any practices that will improve mental pranayama (enjoying the bliss of feeling into each chakra), it's the part of kriya that I used to enjoy the most when I first started but now it doesn't feel like it used to, as in I can't reallyyy feel into the chakras anymore

Edited by Pernani

On 11/4/2019 at 4:18 AM, Pernani said:

Why does everyone link me this vid whenever I post a question here? Lol I've already seen that video before, it doesn't fix everything 

Forget the body. Just feel for the location of the chakra. If it's higher than you expect, then it's higher than you expect. My teacher/guru told me to start from the front if I had to. The front of the chakra is generally easier to find than the root in the spine. Your 3rd chakra is where fear and anger are projected into your body. Think of that feeling you get in your stomach when you are angry or afraid. That is where Manipura is. Chant OM into that and over time follow it back into the spine. Navi Kriya would be highly recommended. The sacral chakra is where sexual feelings are projected. Start there and work your way back to the spine over time. This needs to become an intuitive process, not a physical process. So forget the body and locations and just feel.

Edited by MountainCactus

12 hours ago, MountainCactus said:

Forget the body. Just feel for the location of the chakra. If it's higher than you expect, then it's higher than you expect. My teacher/guru told me to start from the front if I had to. The front of the chakra is generally easier to find than the root in the spine. Your 3rd chakra is where fear and anger are projected into your body. Think of that feeling you get in your stomach when you are angry or afraid. That is where Manipura is. Chant OM into that and over time follow it back into the spine. Navi Kriya would be highly recommended. The sacral chakra is where sexual feelings are projected. Start there and work your way back to the spine over time. This needs to become an intuitive process, not a physical process. So forget the body and locations and just feel.

It's true that front chakras are easier, but I never focused on those, thanks ill give it a try! Why does kriya not focus on the front chakras tho? Arent those important too? 

Thanks you for replies & help @kerk@Esoteric@GreenWoods

I've done more grounding activities (gym, dancing, yoga etc) and am no longer experiencing panic during kriya, only in other times. So that's good! 

Haven't tried shamanic breathing but I've been to holotropic breathwork sessions. Last time I vomited, mostly physical stuff. It's interesting and frustrating for I don't experience any panic or fear when doing breathwork: how to get to the root then? Still, afterwards, the feeling of terror has moved from my lower abdomen area to chest. I don't know.. 

5 hours ago, Pernani said:

It's true that front chakras are easier, but I never focused on those, thanks ill give it a try! Why does kriya not focus on the front chakras tho? Arent those important too? 

They're both connected. If you start doing OM japa from the front you will kind of notice the onion of the chakra starts to peel back over time. The chakra calms down and silences, and when that happens the place you really feel the OM starts moving back closer into the spine until eventually you enter the sushumna. Once you are in the sushumna you have entered a full state of Pratyahara, the body has completely faded away, and then the chakras can slowly retreat back into the medulla. From here you can enter the Kutastha, which is where you go from Dharana, to Dhyana, and finally to Samadhi. The goal of Kriya is the exact opposite of Kundalini Yoga, it's not to "open" or energize the chakras, it's to silence them and eventually to go completely beyond them.

So even if you start at the front, you wind up in the same place. It's totally ok to start in the front, especially for someone who is new and still trying to find and lock in the position of each chakra. What you are doing with your OM japa is the Battle of Kurukshetra described in the Bhagavad Gita. Krishna says that you fight the battle in the body, and this is what you are doing in proper Kriya (now, unfortunately the Kriya described in the books and major organizations are not "proper Kriya"... but that's a discussion for another day). This is why Lahiri Baba said that Kriya without OM japa is tamasic... because OM japa is the heart of Kriya. Without OM Japa, there is no Kriya. Energizing the body and chakras leads to lots of psychedelic experience, but it is of little spiritual value. If you energize the body and the chakras you are strengthening your ego and your ties to your body and the world, and this is the opposite of what you want to do. You want to go beyond the chakras, beyond the ego, beyond the body, beyond the world, beyond kundalini... into true ever-lasting Nirvikalpa Samadhi, and the only way there is through the Battle of Kurukshetra which is the battle that the proper Kriya of Lahiri Mahasaya is designed specifically to fight.

Edited by MountainCactus

4 hours ago, MountainCactus said:

They're both connected. If you start doing OM japa from the front you will kind of notice the onion of the chakra starts to peel back over time. The chakra calms down and silences, and when that happens the place you really feel the OM starts moving back closer into the spine until eventually you enter the sushumna. Once you are in the sushumna you have entered a full state of Pratyahara, the body has completely faded away, and then the chakras can slowly retreat back into the medulla. From here you can enter the Kutastha, which is where you go from Dharana, to Dhyana, and finally to Samadhi. The goal of Kriya is the exact opposite of Kundalini Yoga, it's not to "open" or energize the chakras, it's to silence them and eventually to go completely beyond them.

So even if you start at the front, you wind up in the same place. It's totally ok to start in the front, especially for someone who is new and still trying to find and lock in the position of each chakra. What you are doing with your OM japa is the Battle of Kurukshetra described in the Bhagavad Gita. Krishna says that you fight the battle in the body, and this is what you are doing in proper Kriya (now, unfortunately the Kriya described in the books and major organizations are not "proper Kriya"... but that's a discussion for another day). This is why Lahiri Baba said that Kriya without OM japa is tamasic... because OM japa is the heart of Kriya. Without OM Japa, there is no Kriya. Energizing the body and chakras leads to lots of psychedelic experience, but it is of little spiritual value. If you energize the body and the chakras you are strengthening your ego and your ties to your body and the world, and this is the opposite of what you want to do. You want to go beyond the chakras, beyond the ego, beyond the body, beyond the world, beyond kundalini... into true ever-lasting Nirvikalpa Samadhi, and the only way there is through the Battle of Kurukshetra which is the battle that the proper Kriya of Lahiri Mahasaya is designed specifically to fight.

Wow that was very informative, you seem like you know a lot abt this stuff, you could add a lot of value here. 

You say that energising the body and chakras strengthens the ego, does that mean kundalini is only good for spiritual experiences and not actual transcendence? 🤔

I still remember how energetic kriya used to make me feel, and I loved it! I could tap into the chakras from the spine through mental pranayam, but I dont think it had a calming effect, more like an activation effect. 

2 hours ago, Pernani said:

Wow that was very informative, you seem like you know a lot abt this stuff, you could add a lot of value here. 

You say that energising the body and chakras strengthens the ego, does that mean kundalini is only good for spiritual experiences and not actual transcendence? 🤔

I still remember how energetic kriya used to make me feel, and I loved it! I could tap into the chakras from the spine through mental pranayam, but I dont think it had a calming effect, more like an activation effect. 

Oh boy, I could write a novel just on this alone, haha. Kundalini awakening is merely a step on the path, not the endpoint in and of itself. Kundalini also doesn't have to be an uncomfortable experience. Lahiri Baba specifically said that Kriya practiced properly has NO negative side effects. So all the people on this forum, and other forums, that are practicing Kriya and experiencing negative effects from kundalini are not practicing proper Kriya. Now, this is not surprising since proper Kriya is very difficult to find. Yogananda altered the techniques to be energizing. I'm not sure why he did that, but the fallout is that he became so popular and because of that all of the books and large organizations base their techniques off of Yogananda's altered technique, not the technique originally taught by Lahiri Mahasaya. In the book Kriya Stories which is freely available on the Yoga Niketan website Swami Satyananda Giri back in the mid-1900s said to the author's guru that true Kriya techniques were at risk of extinction, but that there are some small unorganized householder branches that still carry the tradition on. The real techniques are an endangered species these days. Kriya practiced with the proper techniques leads to a kundalini awakening that is slow, controlled, and comfortable. It also is a path of much deeper and more relaxing meditation that has much more carry over into changes for the better in day to day life. Mind you, there are less fireworks along the way, but the fireworks come with the tradeoff of negative symptoms as kundalini energy leaves the subtle body and enters the physical body. This is where all the common negative kundalini effects like headaches, spontaneous movements, insomnia, uncontrollable sexual urges, etc come from. In proper Kriya the energy stays in the subtle body and never enters the physical body. It still finds its way up to the sahasrara so it still promotes kundalini awakening, but it is a very gentle and controlled process not a forced one. This is my experience exactly, I started with the incorrect techniques in the same books that are popular here (and these books not only take Yogananda's energized techniques, but alter them further to add an extra layer or two of energization to them). I had some really bad negative effects, found a teacher in a lineage that has not altered the techniques, was initiated, and ever since I started working with my teacher I have taken off like a spiritual rocket ship and have had absolutely no negative side effects of any kind.

I love Yogananda for his teachings. I think that every Kriyaban here should take the SRF lessons at a minimum for the wealth of information in them. The newly redone SRF lessons are especially good, and worth the small cost for the info alone. I also think that God Talks with Arjuna and Second Coming of Christ are gems and should be on the reading list for every western Kriyaban. But he did alter the Kriya techniques, and added quite a bit of his own creation to them including a large Bhakti (devotional) Yoga,  and Karma Yoga practice, as well as encouragement for renunciation. I'm sure if someone renunciated into his monastic order and followed all of his techniques they could achieve full self-realization. But I'm sure all of us here are householders, and Lahiri's techniques were meant specifically for us. They are more powerful, have less negative effects, and there are less practices which means they are easier to schedule into a busy schedule. He also did not include any Bhakti or Karma Yoga practice as Lahiri Baba focused exclusively on the non-dual side of things. He said that Kriya led to union with the true guru which is the non-dual God; this union is the ultimate Bhakti, the ultimate Karma Yoga, the ultimate Jnana, and the ultimate renunciation. Any external Bhakti, Karma, Jnana, or renunciation paled in comparison to the internal one.

So yes, your past experience is exactly what I would expect. Energizing and activating, not calming. It can be entertaining and fun, but ultimately anytime you strengthen your chakras you are strengthening your bondage to your body, mind, and ego so this does come at a cost. Everything in the dual world has a tradeoff. How can you achieve even a light temporary state of Samadhi in an energized and activated state? It's completely contradictory.

Edited by MountainCactus

I was doing some reading through Purana Purusha this morning (the book that contains Lahiri Mahasaya's personal diaries) and something stuck out to me that really helps drive my point in the above post home. Over and over and over again he states that the point of the Kriya technique is to "silence the Prana". So one must ask themselves, are the techniques they are practicing silencing the Prana, or stirring up the Prana? He also specifically says over and over that Kriya has "OM japa in the 6 chakras" so again, one must ask themselves if the techniques they are practicing are chanting OM in the 6 chakras or only 1? These are words that Lahiri Baba wrote himself in his personal diary, and all are able to get the book to see for themselves. Any Kriya that does not check both of the above boxes is not the real Kriya. The differences between the techniques on paper don't look huge, but in practice, at least in my personal experience, they are worlds apart. The real Kriya is much more blissful, much less complex, much more natural, much more gentle handed, leads to deeper meditation, and leads consciousness easily and naturally out of the body. Kriya is such a subtle process that even small changes can make a world of difference. I also think it should be mentioned that the books invent a lot of techniques that are meant to really stir up the Prana, which really will work against true Kriya practice. Kriya is not about developing "supreme fire", it's about putting the fire out. Kriya is about moving beyond all the elements; beyond experience; beyond everything and anything that is dualistic in nature.

I don't know why, but I feel like God has placed it heavily on my heart to share these things here. I'm sure there's at least someone out there that this will resonate with. I'm not at liberty to share the techniques I was taught, nor am I a teacher myself, but I am here and willing to help anyone in any way that I am able.

Edited by MountainCactus

Who else practices Kriya Yoga without Kundalini stuff, visualisations etc and if you do is it enough to be effective? 

On 06/11/2019 at 10:40 PM, MountainCactus said:

Oh boy, I could write a novel just on this alone, haha. Kundalini awakening is merely a step on the path, not the endpoint in and of itself. Kundalini also doesn't have to be an uncomfortable experience. Lahiri Baba specifically said that Kriya practiced properly has NO negative side effects. So all the people on this forum, and other forums, that are practicing Kriya and experiencing negative effects from kundalini are not practicing proper Kriya. Now, this is not surprising since proper Kriya is very difficult to find. Yogananda altered the techniques to be energizing. I'm not sure why he did that, but the fallout is that he became so popular and because of that all of the books and large organizations base their techniques off of Yogananda's altered technique, not the technique originally taught by Lahiri Mahasaya. In the book Kriya Stories which is freely available on the Yoga Niketan website Swami Satyananda Giri back in the mid-1900s said to the author's guru that true Kriya techniques were at risk of extinction, but that there are some small unorganized householder branches that still carry the tradition on. The real techniques are an endangered species these days. Kriya practiced with the proper techniques leads to a kundalini awakening that is slow, controlled, and comfortable. It also is a path of much deeper and more relaxing meditation that has much more carry over into changes for the better in day to day life. Mind you, there are less fireworks along the way, but the fireworks come with the tradeoff of negative symptoms as kundalini energy leaves the subtle body and enters the physical body. This is where all the common negative kundalini effects like headaches, spontaneous movements, insomnia, uncontrollable sexual urges, etc come from. In proper Kriya the energy stays in the subtle body and never enters the physical body. It still finds its way up to the sahasrara so it still promotes kundalini awakening, but it is a very gentle and controlled process not a forced one. This is my experience exactly, I started with the incorrect techniques in the same books that are popular here (and these books not only take Yogananda's energized techniques, but alter them further to add an extra layer or two of energization to them). I had some really bad negative effects, found a teacher in a lineage that has not altered the techniques, was initiated, and ever since I started working with my teacher I have taken off like a spiritual rocket ship and have had absolutely no negative side effects of any kind.

I love Yogananda for his teachings. I think that every Kriyaban here should take the SRF lessons at a minimum for the wealth of information in them. The newly redone SRF lessons are especially good, and worth the small cost for the info alone. I also think that God Talks with Arjuna and Second Coming of Christ are gems and should be on the reading list for every western Kriyaban. But he did alter the Kriya techniques, and added quite a bit of his own creation to them including a large Bhakti (devotional) Yoga,  and Karma Yoga practice, as well as encouragement for renunciation. I'm sure if someone renunciated into his monastic order and followed all of his techniques they could achieve full self-realization. But I'm sure all of us here are householders, and Lahiri's techniques were meant specifically for us. They are more powerful, have less negative effects, and there are less practices which means they are easier to schedule into a busy schedule. He also did not include any Bhakti or Karma Yoga practice as Lahiri Baba focused exclusively on the non-dual side of things. He said that Kriya led to union with the true guru which is the non-dual God; this union is the ultimate Bhakti, the ultimate Karma Yoga, the ultimate Jnana, and the ultimate renunciation. Any external Bhakti, Karma, Jnana, or renunciation paled in comparison to the internal one.

So yes, your past experience is exactly what I would expect. Energizing and activating, not calming. It can be entertaining and fun, but ultimately anytime you strengthen your chakras you are strengthening your bondage to your body, mind, and ego so this does come at a cost. Everything in the dual world has a tradeoff. How can you achieve even a light temporary state of Samadhi in an energized and activated state? It's completely contradictory.

For real i can relate to that last bit for a bit, even though i love yoga, ever since i started doing it it's like I've been healthier and more energized, but not as aware or insightful as when I was solely doing 1hr meditation daily. Almost feels like a step back which is confusing, bec I can still feel benefits from yoga: the physical and emotional body heals up, and I get calm during the sessions but not a transcendental kind of calm, as in the calm is still very much centered and grounded in the body... Whereas in meditation I could I used to be able to merge with naked awareness at times and got better and better at it. 

So I'm kinda confused how to go on abt it now lol, been alternating between meditation and yoga on a day to day basis, just to get that connection with awareness back. 

And u say that's because the techniques we're following from the books are not the original? How's that? I mean idk abt the other authors but ennio nimis dedicated his life to finding this original kriya and sharing it. So it may be thats it's because we're not practicing the techniques like we should since we're still new to all of this. And I must agree with ennio's views on secrecy, it just does more harm than good, if you got sth that will benefit people why keep it to yourself? 

Edited by Pernani

ennio nimis dedicated his life to finding this original kriya and sharing it

Ennio's files contain lots and lots of different kriya techniques from different sources. So does Stevens' book. And Kriya sources typically say theirs is the original, including those who claim to be chosen by Babaji himself (who may not be a physical human alive today).

Gamana teaches some techniques that even he concedes are not part of traditional Kriya and should not be performed without extensive Kriya experience.

This is why personal instruction by credible sources whose provenance checks out is best in my opinion.

And I must agree with ennio's views on secrecy, it just does more harm than good, if you got sth that will benefit people why keep it to yourself? 

Yogiraj Lahiri insisted on secrecy and direct in-person instruction to address each initiate's questions and issues.

When everybody and his dog teaches techniques, they are tempted to include their own spins on it and to ignore or even hide what they were originally taught and by whom. This has happened a lot in Kriya.

In contrast, for example if you get initiation into Transcendental Meditation (TM), every teacher teaches it the same way, with the same exact verbiage. TM's founder insisted on complete standardization so that the system wouldn't be corrupted and branch out into a million different versions. And he crated an organization that maintains that.

Yogiraj was suspicious of organizations and did not want any cults, groups or temples and power struggles around Kriya. He felt that all that outer stuff would become distractions from the main point, which is practicing the meditation. He was an individualist and wanted Kriya taught only by himself or, since he was only one person with limited hours in the day, through an informal network of disciples. So he sent people to Panchanon or to Priyanath and others he had ordained; and eventually his sons also.

But because he did not start one organization and one authority, various "kriyas" are all over the place. (Lahiri and Panchanon did start the Aryya Mission Institution but that was only for the purpose of publishing Lahiri's books.)

Yogananda lectured to thousands of people when he came to America. It's easy to see that when thousands want to learn Kriya, some sort of organization is probably necessary.

While he did deputize several close students to teach Kriya, and they eventually started their own organizations (such as CSA, Ananda and others), Yogananda's legacy is mainly in one large organization which keeps control of the techniques through written agreements, monastic order and secret ceremony. A somewhat similar thing happened with Hariharananda and his large organization.

Edited by kerk

4 hours ago, Pernani said:

And u say that's because the techniques we're following from the books are not the original? How's that? I mean idk abt the other authors but ennio nimis dedicated his life to finding this original kriya and sharing it. So it may be thats it's because we're not practicing the techniques like we should since we're still new to all of this. And I must agree with ennio's views on secrecy, it just does more harm than good, if you got sth that will benefit people why keep it to yourself? 

Ennio's techniques are not what I was taught. None of the books are. They all add extra things into Kriya to energize the practice. Though I will say that at least for first Kriya Ennio's description is closer than Stephens or Gamana's, matter of fact I only have one gripe with Ennio's first Kriya (so for anyone that refuses to take on a guru I would recommend Ennio's first Kriya as the lesser evil) but Ennio's Higher Kriyas are still very far away; I've yet to see a book or website get close on the Higher Kriyas. Also, Kriya is a very subtle process. Just a description alone is not enough to truly get it. Every technique I've learned from my teacher I've had to go back and forth with him multiple times with questions or troubleshooting small issues. Even a small unintentional misinterpretation can have huge repercussions in Kriya. It is also worth mentioning that all the authors came from the Yogananda lineage, and they all adopt most, if not all, of Yogananda's alterations in their books. As I mentioned above, you can read the Kriya Stories book which tells a story of Satyananda Giri himself back in the mid 1900's on his death bed starting that the true practices were at risk of extinction, but that there will always be some small householder lineages away from the spotlight and organizations that stay true to the teachings. This is still true today. As far as I'm aware the Panchanon Bhattacharya lineage is the main lineage that has maintained purity of techniques; this branch prioritizes purity and non-alteration of technique above all. There are a bunch of branches of this lineage that exist in the U.S. and India that came from Maheshwari Prasad Dubey's hard work to try to save the original techniques from extinction. There are some branches in India through Lahiri's family that I hear still pass on the unaltered techniques. I also suspect from reading their books that the Yoga Niketan guys may have the proper techniques as well, though I do not know exactly what they teach so I cannot confirm. There are also some off the map type guru's that shun the public audience altogether that still pass on the unaltered techniques. However, none of the major organizations, books, or "Big Baba" popular public guru's that I am aware of pass on the pure, unaltered techniques. 

There are some small alterations that the Yogiraj taught to different people, but there are 2 specific things that Yogananda added to First Kriya that Lahiri Baba did not teach, that have been adopted by pretty much all the organizations, "Big Baba's", and authors. The real First Kriya technique is actually much simpler and much less complex than what you guys have learned from the books. It is also much less gross, less physical, and less forced. The First Kriya is supposed to be a very subtle, simple and gentle process. If you read both the Garland of Letters and Purana Purusha and hear the descriptions that Lahiri Baba makes about the practices, it's very easy to see that the practices in the books do not match what he describes. I can say that the techniques I was taught do exactly conform with everything he has said in both those books. This is how I personally verified that the techniques I was taught were legit, I didn't take it on blind trust. You all should not take my words on blind trust either, you really should read the books and come to your own conclusions, imo.

I'm not keeping anything to myself. I believe that the one on one guru/disciple relationship is a major irreplaceable part of Kriya. Anyone is able to find a teacher to follow this path, nobody is keeping anything from anybody. Kriya is a path for all, but Kriya is a path for following a teacher. It is worth mentioning that the gripes that Ennio and Stephens have are directed towards organizations not a one on one guru/disciple relationship. Like @kerk mentioned, organizations are not the path that Lahiri Baba supported. He believed in a line of unorganized householders teaching one on one in person. In my opinion, if someone is really serious about Kriya, why would they not want to go through the proper channels in the tradition passed down by its founder? Why would someone want to go through a back road and read from a book written by someone who is not only not an authorized teacher, but might not even be fully self-realized? The true Kriya path is there for anyone that is truly serious about it. And the books are there for anyone that just wants to take a tourist trip and get some experience. The books can also serve as a gateway drug so to speak. I mean, without the books I wouldn't have found my way to the path I'm on now. So they are not all bad. But I do think from reading this thread that there are a lot of people here that are serious about Kriya that are very lost and confused and not getting the benefit from their practice that they expect, just like I once was, and it's to them that I'm speaking and trying to encourage to abandon the books and seek a one on one guru. 

Edited by MountainCactus

4 hours ago, Pernani said:

For real i can relate to that last bit for a bit, even though i love yoga, ever since i started doing it it's like I've been healthier and more energized, but not as aware or insightful as when I was solely doing 1hr meditation daily. Almost feels like a step back which is confusing, bec I can still feel benefits from yoga: the physical and emotional body heals up, and I get calm during the sessions but not a transcendental kind of calm, as in the calm is still very much centered and grounded in the body... Whereas in meditation I could I used to be able to merge with naked awareness at times and got better and better at it. 

So I'm kinda confused how to go on abt it now lol, been alternating between meditation and yoga on a day to day basis, just to get that connection with awareness back. 

This is not surprising coming from what is taught in the books. Like I mentioned, the books are energizing, where as proper Kriya is calming. Proper Kriya leads to incredibly deep meditations. Proper Kriya guides consciousness out of the body. The techniques taught in the books are indeed "very much centered and grounded in the body". I've said quite a few times that by energizing the chakras, you are strengthening your ties to the body and the world. This is a fundamental aspect of the chakras that is true in all cases. Energizing the chakras was originally an occult practice to try to achieve Siddhi's (supernatural powers). This is not the path to self-realization, it's a detour. Lahiri's techniques lead to the "stillness of Prana" as quoted from Lahiri Baba himself. With the proper techniques the state of paravastha is very easy and natural to attain. This is where you get that "transcendental kind of calm" through attaining full Pratyahara, and then easily drifting into Dharana, Dhyana, and finally Samadhi. With proper Kriya you don't need to practice meditation separately, because deep meditation is a natural byproduct of the practice. After proper Kriya I don't want to get up. I want to sit there and just easily let myself blissfully melt away into the non-dual. It's not unusual for a 2-3 hour long Kriya session to feel like 15 minutes...

Edited by MountainCactus