PsiloPutty

Is it bad to always meditate with isochronic tone/binaural beat?

32 posts in this topic

I tell ya, they really do help me get into a meditative state faster than without them, but if I shouldn't be using them every time I meditate, I'd like to know. Only about 10 weeks into my daily meditation and I want to set up a solid and consistent practice. I have a 7-day retreat coming up in May, and I know they don't use anything like that, so I'm wondering if I should just quit the beats and go "au natural." 

Hmm hard to say... I used to use them, and had several neat experiences especially once I get into theta waves, but now that I've decided to take mediation seriously, I'm doing it "clean". I don't think there's anything wrong with them, although there's always the possibility you can hard-wire your brain to need them in order to get into that state. Best to go "clean" and just use them every now and then to go deeper. 

Kind of what I was thinking, too. It's hard to say that meditation makes me ok with reality if I choose to shut reality out when I meditate.  :|

But I love my beats, dammit!  *pout*

I found myself becoming dependent on them to go into a deep meditative state, as long as you avoid that, then have at it.

Sounds of rain, tin roof, car roof etc. are pretty good for meditation too I find.

I use them a lot and always wondered why Leo has never mentioned them

He's mentioned them in the forum here, if not in his videos. I think he came down on the side of them having a positive use in meditation. 

Listening to isochronic tone/binaural beats is not Meditation. 

Meditation is living and listening to your breath consciously. 

Namaste, Mfks

well once you're more "serious" about this "work", the suffering will hit you and now you'll want to face the suffering within the frame work of your body head on without merely dipping your toe into some state. The west again has succeed again to misinterpret the biggest mindfucks and paradoxes into silly ideas of comfort. 

Making a breakthrough with binaural beats create a lasting effect. After that happened to me I found that I, on the contrary, didn't use them for a very long time, because they are quite powerful. Never found myself addicted to them. I would recommend to use what resonates with you the most at the time.

Get your free panick attack here, free for a limited time !!! ???

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

1 hour ago, Quanty said:

Listening to isochronic tone/binaural beats is not Meditation. 

Meditation is living and listening to your breath consciously. 

Namaste, Mfks

No, meditation is being conscious or focused on something so deepely that you merge totally with the object, that's all it is ...

Doesn't have to be something specific at all.

God is love

And God in them

2 hours ago, Shin said:

Get your free panick attack here, free for a limited time !!! ???

Shitfire, I just got my DNA activated last week. I'll see if I can get a refund on it so I can try your video. :P

2 hours ago, All_Around_Me said:

Making a breakthrough with binaural beats create a lasting effect. After that happened to me I found that I, on the contrary, didn't use them for a very long time, because they are quite powerful. Never found myself addicted to them. I would recommend to use what resonates with you the most at the time.

What happened while you were beatin' and why'd you stop?

Why wouldn't you want to just let the natural sounds of reality come in?  The whole point of Mindfulness is to build Awareness and acceptance of the reality of the present moment.  I just let the silence in when I meditate.  Just let the natural sounds of reality surround you when you Meditate.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Binaural beats can be beneficial, depends on your intention and frequency. They are good for reaching deep states quickly but you defiantly don't want your mediation habit dependent on them. 

This one for example is intense as fuck, you wouldn't want to listen to this one daily. I had some sort of energy activation while listening to this one awhile back.

I'm likely addicted to them...or still find it a real struggle without them.... The only "replacement" I have is meditation in nature near waves, creek, rustling leaves, or waterfall etc.... the beats are magical... they can induce visionary states etc... it's hard to choose meditation in emptiness, when there appears to be a fabulous sound filled alternative... 

@PsiloPutty Since you're still very new to meditation, it's okay.

But eventually you'll want to graduate to unassisted meditation practices.

Don't spend 5 years meditating using audios, is the point.

BTW, don't be listening to that stuff (or anything) when doing yoga. Yoga must be done in silence.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Thanks, folks. I don't expect that giving up the beats will have any effect on my desire to sit and meditate, so I may as well back off from using them over the next week or two. I mean, if it's something that's in my best long-term interest to move away from, I see no benefit to keep it a part of my main practice. Thanks again for the advice. 

1 hour ago, PsiloPutty said:

Thanks, folks. I don't expect that giving up the beats will have any effect on my desire to sit and meditate, so I may as well back off from using them over the next week or two. I mean, if it's something that's in my best long-term interest to move away from, I see no benefit to keep it a part of my main practice. Thanks again for the advice. 

You can still use them from time to time, like once a week.

God is love

And God in them

@Leo Gura My new excitement for yoga was almost completely instantly squashed with the "silence" part....really? not even some nice relaxation chimes or something?... I bet I can get away with nature silence, right?...at least a few crickets or something....lol...

Hmmmm, why do I dislike "silence" so much? It seems like the same reason some children are frightened of darkness...it is the auditory equivalent of darkness, is it not? and the same way a broom can look like a monster in the dark... silence can illuminate other mental projections....,how terrifying!!!....lol..... I guess these monsters in the silence must be seen for the brooms they are! @PsiloPutty I guess that's why we need time away from the beats...