Shroomdoctor

Life Purpose

13 posts in this topic

The following thing is weighting quite heavily on my mind. I did the LP course a few months ago. But i rushed it. Stopped my university studies,  Decided to study psychology next semester and told everyone about it. Now I'm not too sure that it is "it". I think taking the course a second time might benefit me, but I am so damn fearful that it is something else and something not so clear cut  (like music) and that I have to tell my family "Yeeeah Im not doing psychology." Like there is this intense Presseure and fear to even start doing it again. Do you have any advice on how to handle that?

@Shroomdoctor The intense pressure is something I was and am still afraid of too.

What has helped me a lot is the 100% responsibilty rule and becoming aware of the fact that all the nasty things I feel and react to are all coming from within and have no ‘outside’ correlation.

If ‘the victim’ is something you resonate with, like I do, I would highly recommend watching Leo’s video on that.

Also, whatever happens, stay true to your passion and be honest with yourself.

Your life is your life, don’t let it clubbed into dank submission.

-Charles Bukowski

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

51 minutes ago, Shroomdoctor said:

I think taking the course a second time might benefit me, but I am so damn fearful that it is something else and something not so clear cut  (like music) and that I have to tell my family "Yeeeah Im not doing psychology."

I had the same thing going on for me. I highly doubt that you're going to get a different result if you truly did the whole course the first time around, especially if it's not a long time ago. I also did the course for a second time (well not totally), but long enough to come up with the same LP as before, and i ended up laughing at myself for doubting it.

I feel like your mind is just driving you mad like mine did before. Don't fall for the traps man, you will make the right choice when that sucker is asleep.

Edited by Psyche_92

8 minutes ago, Shroomdoctor said:

@Psyche_92 that seems reasonable ? 

Whats your LP? ?

Becoming a Psychologist/Psychotherapist. We discussed this in another topic before Lol.

Edited by Psyche_92

@Shroomdoctor The intense pressure and fear are the result of moving all of your presence in from the moment, to thoughts and ideas of potential futures. Just sit, meditate, whatever, get back to the moment without all the thoughts. Let go of everything. Get to your ‘happy place’ Get a pencil and a piece of paper in front of you. Write down things that come, categorize, draw time lines, whatever, but if it’s not fun and even a little exciting, go away from it for a bit, meditate, etc, and come back to it.  The reason the ‘weight’ of the potential futures sucks is because the thoughts about what you’re gonna do, how it might be if and when you tell your parents, etc are just thoughts, and you are caught up in believing them. In truth, you are completely free, and when you let go and connect into the present, you are more connected to infinite intelligence, and that’s where the best books come from, where the best albums come from, etc, etc, etc, and that’s where your plans can come from. Don’t believe the thoughts. They are things, like appliances, and carpet. They are not even yours. Let it all go.  This is an opportunity to practice this, if you don’t, you’ll always find something else to stress about. 

Pragmatically, I know a few social workers. They all hate the job and wish they would have picked something else. I am self employed, and it is heaven to me. I want freedom above all else. My advice would be, if you do go into psychology, make the goal to have your own practice, and to replace yourself by employing others. Though, it sounds like there might be a field you desire to work in more, but I don’t think you mentioned it. 

Go to the biggest picture you can, forget about college and career path for a minute, take deep stomach breathes and zoom all the way out.....ask yourself.....what do I love? What do I like? Am I a solve things person? Am I a people person? A nature person? An animals person? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Shroomdoctor

Fear of authentic life purpose is a common phenomena. If you've been living inauthentically for a long time, to make that shift to authenticity can be scary because it means shaking up your whole life, destroying the self-image others have of you and a whole mess of other problems.

Seeing the fear for what it is helps. When you understand "oh, this is just my self-image being threatened", you don't take it as seriously.

Another solution is just sitting down with your parents and communicating honestly what is going on. You're growing and exploring, you don't have it all figured it out yet. And if they're not okay with that, there's nothing you can really do.

I recommend reading cal newports so good they can't ignore you he argues that every path that seems interesting should be equally rewarding so if both are interesting to you either way you won't end up in a bad way :) (but it may be best to stick with one it may help to be radical honest to decide which one it is)

@Shroomdoctor Sorry man!

I'm going through the life purpose right now, very slowly and for the first time, so I can't really offer any advice.

4 hours ago, Shroomdoctor said:

Sorry, sometimes I forget stuff. :D

No worries, we all do.