Joseph Maynor

Is Clinging Strongly to Beliefs What Causes Judgments to Happen?

16 posts in this topic

@Joseph Maynor  The tendency to judge others usually occurs to a person because of the unconscious intention to feel himself in a positive light, in terms of what is good and bad. By making judgement about others either mentally or verbally and by trying to see how bad they are, he unconsciously convinces himself on how good he is.

This tendency can be observed more in people who are brought up in religious families. Don't think about spirituality here. I am talking about an orthodox Hindu, Muslim or Christian who believes that there is a personal super human God who is the moral authority of the world and who punishes the evil doers. He is conditioned more to think in terms of what is good and bad, what is evil and sin etc. When he believes that his neighbor is selfish, arrogant, rude and probably even bad, he convinces on how bad he is and he also gets relieved in thinking that God will teach him a lesson one day.

People also get the ideas of good and bad from society. They make the good virtues as a part of their ideal selves, and they pursue to improve their goodness. But this has got nothing to do with actually being good to others. This is just an unconscious attempt of ego to show one's personal or separate self in a positive light.

By the way, I want to thank you. 

I started writing this answer one hour before and in the flow of writing, I ended up finishing the first chapter of my next book. :) . The above answer is now an excerpt of the first chapter.

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

@Joseph Maynor I noticed that you don't respond to some answers which are given to your questions. Is that because of any disagreement with the content of the answer or are you just busy?

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

@Joseph Maynor It starts with one root belief: an exclusive, dichotomous self-identity. Then it's just a quick thought away from a 'right' maya-me vs a 'wrong' other-than-me.

2 hours ago, Shanmugam said:

I noticed that you don't respond to some answers which are given to your questions

@Shanmugam  Maybe JM is plagiarising your answers and writing his own book ... Better publish soon ! :D

@Joseph Maynor careful - what is judgement? I judge you to be Joseph Maynor, a dude with a beard who likes contemplating enlightenment.

why is drinking water not judgement? 

maybe i am being silly but, I wouldn't say that clinging to belief causes judgment, that implies a dependent relationship, where judgment mostly arises from clinging to belief. the rock judges the ground by sitting upon it! the river judges the otter by sweeping it away. 

3 hours ago, snowleopard said:

@Shanmugam  Maybe JM is plagiarising your answers and writing his own book ... Better publish soon ! :D

xD lol

I actually turned this into a Quora answer: God: Who/What is God?

Shanmugam 

Beliefs and judgments are the same thing just worded differently.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

Belief itself implies fear, and clinging in of itself implies an attempt to sustain a sense of safety, security, and affirmation. This movement of validation serves to protect the psyche “ego” by means of measure. Not only does one hold various beliefs but the very identification with these beliefs becomes a part of the psychological structure of the center. Identification of a belief becomes a part of that ego. So when that belief is challenged not only is the belief attacked and challenged, but the entity which is composed of those various assumptions and conclusions is itself challenged and attacked.

This clinging to belief acts as a safety net to secure the movement and continuity of the psychological entity we call the self. 

Yes. People need to impose their perspective/perception, ego, upon the other, everything. It is a battle. Who is right and who is wrong. What is true and what is not. It seems that ignorance of oneself puts marks everywhere one goes.

Yes, many of the strongest human beliefs are about spirituality, enlightenment and religion.
When beliefs don't seem to match, people become judging and start making remarks dismissing another insights as being not real.
Spiritual people can sometimes be in fact the most judging and thus the least enlightened people there are.  O.o

In such cases, it's better to wonder why we find it so important to discount another's experiences. Why do we care so much to make these points?
Is then not our ego invested in the belief our spiritual insights are superior over others? How can we know another's entire life and achievements based on some text, or a few words spoken?

It's quick to judge, it's easy to judge, it is ego-affirming and in this way comforting to us and increasing our confidence in self.
Even this post contains some of it.

@Shanmugam Slightly off topic. But have you written many books? I would be interested in buying a digital version if possible? I reckon it would be well worth my time to see what a fellow actualized forum member writes about.

10 minutes ago, zazed said:

@Shanmugam Slightly off topic. But have you written many books? I would be interested in buying a digital version if possible? I reckon it would be well worth my time to see what a fellow actualized forum member writes about.

I have published just one book. You can find a link to it in my signature..

Shanmugam 

Bicameral Mind book I'm reading says judgement is the first reaction, logic does not exist (it is merely the consciousness of the judgement of the nervous system) and then what we call consciousness is aware of the consciousness of logic. Not sure I believe it but this book would be suggesting judgement is just noticing your instinct and that the only way to change judgement is to change that instinctive pattern recognition. So that just comes down to no free will, your surroundings and the people you hang around with/grew up with influenced you and vice versa, even if you decide to meditate you did not choose that as patterns have been recognized subconsciously. You must have recognized patterns of emotions in yourself, patterns of emotions in others, your logic in hindsight realizes it has recognized a pattern that you are unhappier than most and have been for a longer time, your pattern recognition system recognizes the patterns of benign treatments, you try decide to meditate over heroin to be more happy but that decision was never yours, your logic is an illusion and your decisions can never truly be yours. 

But to judge? That's like the patterns you have recognized subconsciously don't match someone else's