asgard94

What Would You Do If Someone Spit In Your Face? Practice Compassion Or Beat The *ck Out Of Them?

69 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Simon Zackrisson said:

I am a little bit tired of the overemphasis on forgiving.

I don't think there has been an emphasis on forgiving. Not reacting or being defensive is not the same as forgiving.

'To forgive' assumes wrong doing in the first place. Then we get in to the whole 'right' vs 'wrong', 'good' and 'evil' debate.

Forgiving doesn't really come in to this situation. There is no forgiving to be done really as there is no real reason to label the behaviour in any way in the first place. Choosing your reactions, picking your battles, is a choice that you make about you. It's not about them.

You don't have to forgive someone just because you chose not to react and walk away.

The whole 'forgiving' malarkey is a whole contentious subject of it's own. I can't do this 'holding grudges' thing. It opposes healthy self-development. There are more constructive ways to deal with boundary infringments..

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

10 minutes ago, David1 said:

What if Mike Tyson spits you in the face?

Or if its a woman?

Im not a big fan of hypothetical questions. Thats like asking what would you do if you won a million dollars? 

How I react depends on the moment.

@asgard94 , Your case is hilarious, but let's go with it as an exercise. 

First thing: to have any type of a psychological damage, you would still have to be a "person" - which an enlightened being is not any longer. Dropping the "person-hood" is one of the few conditions required to become enlightened. 

Second: just because it is happening, it means that consciousness has space for a "spitting" manifestation to take place. An enlightened being has enough space in him as to also allow for that one. 

Third: Just because there is allowing, it does not mean that such occurrences need to be happening. For example, even if you understand and accept the fire, doesn't mean you're going to get into it. This is a decision of the "current" mind - the practical mind, that needs to be addressed logically in any way that seems fit to put your physical body out of the "spitting". 

:) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

3 minutes ago, Ayla said:

@asgard94 , Your case is hilarious, but let's go with it as an exercise. 

First thing: to have any type of a psychological damage, you would still have to be a "person" - which an enlightened being is not any longer. Dropping the "person-hood" is one of the few conditions required to become enlightened. 

Second: just because it is happening, it means that consciousness has space for a "spitting" manifestation to take place. An enlightened being has enough space in him as to also allow for that one. 

Third: Just because there is allowing, it does not mean that such occurrences need to be happening. For example, even if you understand and accept the fire, doesn't mean you're going to get into it. This is a decision of the "current" mind - the practical mind, that needs to be addressed logically in any way that seems fit to put your physical body out of the "spitting". 

Hahah you just triple-enlightened me! Good points. I like. Besides, we are one with the spit. So there would be no problem at all either way. And no one really spits in our face. The spitting just happens... :) 

4 minutes ago, asgard94 said:

And no one really spits in our face. The spitting just happens... :) 

It sounds a bit silly when you put it like that. There is a happening there taking place, yes. Only because it is taking place, it is a valid form of consciousness that is not to be dismissed. 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

1 hour ago, David1 said:

RUN!

When things go wrong in your perspective, remember it's not about you ?

1 hour ago, David1 said:

Mike Tyson?  I'd be more concerned for my ears!

If someone spits in your face, you deck them. Its complete disdain and its disgusting

However I believe it would be right to be compassionate after you have royally fucked them up

1 minute ago, Marcus said:

If someone spits in your face, you deck them. Its complete disdain and its disgusting

However I believe it would be right to be compassionate after you have royally fucked them up

1f4b9ed0c9642748f3dbd29ee18feeb81f36a839

@FindingPeace
In a way, you're right.

In a way, you're wrong. 

Note, what I wrote here is not necessarily that refined, I just went on writing with the flow, and most of it not addressed to you finding; It's not intended to be hostile to you finding

30 minutes ago, FindingPeace said:

I don't think there has been an emphasis on forgiving.

I didn't mean what I said about overemphasis in relation to this thread if you thought that mate, I meant of what I've personally come across in a more general sense. Sometimes I write a response to a thread without reading the comments others have done 

31 minutes ago, FindingPeace said:

Not reacting or being defensive is not the same as forgiving.

You're right. As I said in my post, I think maybe one of the best things to do when confronted with danger, is to respond with what is needed, but without making any personal problem of it. Like, if someone engages a fight with me, I will respond, either with escape or countering attack. And preferably, if possible, to avoid generating a personal hate for the person in question or for his action. Just a problem solving phenomena, like opening an umbrella when it rains. Or not even battling it at all, calling it a day and just gtfo:ing to inside a building. I don't necessarily need to start a drawn out process of hating the rain.

You're right that I might have used "forgiving" in a loose way, but notice that I said OVERemphasis. What my intention to mean was, that I'm a little bit sick of the overarching mentality of "turn the other cheek". 

Yes, we may all be one consciousness and boundaries are illusion. But I don't fucking care. Yo, if I want to hurt myself, I'll let myself know that I'll hurt myself if I want to hurt me.  

This is my incarnation as a human being. Don't tell me that there isn't a logical phenomena that I should defend myself if needed. That is the reason humanity has survived, if this instinct was not evolved, we wouldn't even have the chance to experience duality; how it is to be a separate perception. I think I'm tired of it because so many bullshitters use this rhetoric of non-defensive mentality. I am sick of some people's unhinged-to-reality opinions of how to interact in the world. I mean, just because it feels good to say that oh we're all one, make love not war, doesn't mean that it's actually a valid thing. 

In doing so, you're abandoning logic for your feelgoods, and leaving everyone else to do the reasonable thinking. I'm interested in truth. I prefer to look at the harsh reality of our bloody past. To consider the fact that in the future, there will statistically speaking probably be a horrific painful death in store for "me". 

Yes, the ego I have might just be an identification of consciousness, and that death simply might be a change of consciousness that leads to another story, the transformation to something else.

However, we're living in this kind of story now, and I want to understand this incarnation with sober analytical eyes. How this dimension operates, this certain setting of experiencing. To not delude myself and lose touch with logic through the feel-good way of spirituality.

hm ok simon ok 

The ego has spoken, but let it, because I think it has some valid points. 

Note, what I wrote here is not necessarily that refined, I just went on writing with the flow, and most of it not addressed to you finding; It's not intended to be hostile to you finding

JK, this is what I really wanted to write to you @FindingPeace :

DONT FUCKING TELL ME WHAT TO DO FINDING . UR WRONG. FUCK UR DELUSIONAL SHIT ABOUT HOW THE WORLD WORKS, IF U WANNA DIE CUS U PRIORITIZE GOOD FEELINGS OVER ACTUAL CRITIAL THINKING GO AHEAD FAGGET GO DIE LOL IDC BUT DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO FUCK U KTHXBYE

Endless nuance

4 minutes ago, Simon Zackrisson said:

In doing so, you're abandoning logic for your feelgoods, and leaving everyone else to do the reasonable thinking. I'm interested in truth. 

I want to understand this incarnation with sober analytical eyes. How this dimension operates, this certain setting of experiencing. To not delude myself and lose touch with logic through the feel-good way of spirituality.

The ego has spoken, but let it, because I think it has some valid points. 

Exactly what I'm trying to tell them! They don't listen. . . If logic & reason is not present in spirituality, then pseudo-science and invalid reasoning takes over like a wild monkey, every single time. This is why I put emphasis on the importance of logical analysis. Some people will call you "prickly", but really, they're just gooey... So yeah.

"What Would You Do If Someone Spit In Your Face? Practice Compassion Or Beat The *ck Out Of Them?"

These are seemingly the two extremes, but you can do both [let's call it tough love], or you can ignore it.

I don't claim to be all that enlightened, but I think it is compassionate to avoid my first impulse which is violence. Take it from an old soldier, a little spit won't kill you.

My path is to be me (secular Buddhist for the most part), in all things, at all times. Spit is nothing.

Just now, WarPants said:

a little spit won't kill you.

Spit is definitely better than a bullet! whew...

That's a projection of your reality, never have i seen this, or heard of this... then again, i choose to direct my flow of thought else where, for this type of question is an unwise way of investing time. Focus your time and energy on your future, avoid pointless questions.... being would know what to do IF it where to have happened.

3 minutes ago, asgard94 said:

Exactly what I'm trying to tell them! They don't listen. . . If logic & reason is not present in spirituality, then pseudo-science and invalid reasoning takes over like a wild monkey, every single time. This is why I put emphasis on the importance of logical analysis. Some people will call you "prickly", but really, they're just gooey... So yeah.

There is a balance in everything. 

It's annoying with hippies that have become delusional in feel-good reasonings, but I'd say it's equally annoying with hard-nosed people that have gone insane from staring themselves blind at logic.

Endless nuance

@asgard94

1 minute ago, asgard94 said:

Spit is definitely better than a bullet! whew...

Yes, you have the benefit of my experience there!

The problem here is our perception of enlightenment, being enlightened doesn't mean you can't act or do anything. 

One enlightened person will go chanting, the other one will break his nose. 

It's irrelevant.

:P

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Just now, abrakamowse said:

The problem here is our perception of enlightenment, being enlightened doesn't mean you can't act or do anything. 

One enlightened person will go chanting, the other one will break his nose. 

It's irrelevant.

And the third one will claim there is no such thing as enlightenment. ;)

4 minutes ago, asgard94 said:

And the third one will claim there is no such thing as enlightenment. ;)

And then that third one will kick him in the balls

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

2 hours ago, David1 said:

Yes then you are most likely to feel fear and be weaker lol

Edited by Fishy