spicy_pickles

Being happy with the now

13 posts in this topic

I’m a little confused and have heard different opinions on being mindful about the present and living in the present as opposed to working towards a future goal or goals. 

For example, as I’m working on myself (say, exercising consistently), I’m envisioning a healthier version of myself in six months, a year, etc.  I’m also working on myself mentally and emotionally, so that I can achieve better relationships.  

So, while I’m not in my ideal situation right now, I’m working towards a better future that I can envision. Is there anything wrong with this approach? 

@spicy_pickles
No, this approach is not wrong at all. It is a good start but at some point you will have to drop working for a healthier version and recognize that you are already perfect just to then again start working on yourself not because you need to get healthier but because it is fun to get healthier and it goes on and on, there are tons of different stages.

Thanks @LaucherJunge  

i think I realized that last night at the gym when I couldn’t do a particular exercise worth a crap. So, a small goal would be to achieve 10 reps of that particular exercise. 

Even with personal development, I was able to recognize recently that there are some toxic relationships that just aren’t working for me. Some are easier to let go of, others require me to do some more work to figure out exactly why I got into these in the first place, and developing confidence to set boundaries   

But, in the meantime, I know I’m working towards bettering myself. It’s not an overnight process, that’s for sure. 

Just wanted to add that I’ve also surrounded myself with people who are great role models and who I can learn a lot from in all aspects of my life. 

Edited by spicy_pickles
Addition

38 minutes ago, Revolutionary Think said:

A step by step approach is a better idea than having some giant ideal in your head and never taking action. 

That’s just it. I can sit and daydream and visualize all day long, but that will never bring me closer to any of my goals if I’m not doing something to achieve those goals. 

I had the same kind of problem but, little by little I learned how to do practical things that got me to where I wanted to be. 

The now is all there is, nothing else is for certain other than your existence, your ''i'' AM. It's a miracle yet most dismiss it although it's the most obvious thing. True happiness can only happen when you realize the importance of the present.

Thoughts about the future occur now. Actions to prepare for the future occur now. 

EVERY thought or action arises in the present moment. It’s about being aware now.

Edited by Serotoninluv

Did you watch Leo's video about meaning? Anyway, it's good to have meaning, but you want to be aware of how it is only something you assign to things. 

Focus on living principles in the present moment.  Be principle-centered.  That's how you do it.

Watch:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Thought/knowledge is always old and of the past. If we are not aware of this fact then we can’t live now. The me is the past. To understand myself as the past gives rise to the capacity to live in in now. 

Now is actually all there ever is, but psychological knowledge being the me and it’s content prevents that now experience.