The Monk

Meat Causes Cancer? But Protein Power?!!!

18 posts in this topic

Just finished watching this video, and now I'm concerned about my own health since I'm 18, and have been eating meat since I was young. But at the same time I'm thankful for realizing this at an age earlier than most.

So, since scientific studies suggest that animal meat causes cancer. But, since I am a young man trying to get ripped/ shredded and build muscle I need protein which is found in animal meats mostly (tried to go with plant based protein, but it's just too low and I'm not seeing results from it) ,so since protein powder is mostly made from whey a milk substance, surely it's not as bad as meats? But, some how it's still unhealthy? Why is that? And can I use that as my new source of protein? 

Actually what about protein powders that claim to be  100% organic/ vegan? Are they good?

Edited by The Monk

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

45 minutes ago, The Monk said:

Just finished watching this video, and now I'm concerned about my own health since I'm 18, and have been eating meat since I was young. But at the same time I'm thankful for realizing this at an age earlier than most.

So, since scientific studies suggest that animal meat causes cancer. But, since I am a young man trying to get ripped/ shredded and build muscle I need protein which is found in animal meats mostly (tried to go with plant based protein, but it's just too low and I'm not seeing results from it) ,so since protein powder is mostly made from whey a milk substance, surely it's not as bad as meats? But, some how it's still unhealthy? Why is that? And can I use that as my new source of protein? 

i would choose meat over dairy products (whey protein powder). pretty much all dairy products is bad for u. maybe some organic whey can be somewhat ok.

but yeah, best thing to do is reduce meat intake and take best quality meat if you decide to eat meat.

From my research, I've learned that a lot of the "whole foods super healthy organic protein vegan cruelty free" are products that are way over priced. If you're looking for protein powders, go with whey, it's best for gains, and generally the cheapest. As for long term health effects of whey, it depends on how much you have and how often you have it, like anything in nutrition. Generally speaking my research has shown me that the reason a lot of vegans avoid dairy (those that do it for health reasons) do it for the cholesterol and anything passed down from the cow. Given that you are most likely living in a first world country, the production process for whey protein is extremely sterile, they would get sued or cracked down on by health and safety if it wasn't. Second, most whey contains less than 5mg of cholesterol, which is next to nothing. A lot of research suggests that the correlation between cholesterol and heart disease is only causation anyway. 

Also, notice the dogma and ideological crusades going on here. It's highly unlikely that ALL the research points to veganism being the optimal health diet, vegans tend to be fairly tunnel visioned in this respect, in reality there are pros and cons, rather than "this is better than that" like anything in nutrition. 

Whey isn't generally that unhealthy, but it depends on where you source it, a lot of whey products have a lot of added sugar and corners can be cut on quality for cost reasons. Do your research, like any foods, there are healthier options and less healthy ones.

As for meat, there is a lot of conflicting evidence so it depends on your stance. Either way though, if you choose to eat meat and are worried about the long term health effects, get free range organic, not only are a lot of the chemical and other long term health effects lessened in this type of meat, it actually tastes better.

Tl;dr: if you have money to burn and are fine with slower/less optimised results, go for an organic plant based protein, if you don't go for an organic (or non organic if you choose) whey protein. Widely regarded as the best in the sporting world. If you choose to eat meat eat good quality, preferably organic.

@The Monk notice the alignment of your health with the planet's health and you'll be fine.

right now, the production of beef and its convenience for consumption are raping this beautiful planet. so are the extensive practices of mono-agriculture.

this is one of the causes of our diseases as a whole Living Being. we become ill as earth becomes ill.

unborn Truth

The primal concern when building muscle mas is to make sure you hit it hard and often. Consistence is the key. If the muscle is not under a lot of stress no amount of protein will do the work. In our society we are obsessed with quick results and nobody has patience to take the time and discipline, it takes years to build a solid muscle foundation for a natural athlete which is why many guys end up taking steroids because they simply have no patience.  

A balanced vegan/vegetarian diet will give you all the protein you need without contributing to the mass slaughter and destruction of the planet.

That being said, some of the vegan proteins on the market are incredibly potent and able to give you as much result as any whey product out there. Remember that whey used to be dumped before they realised they could feed it to bodybuilders. It is a waste product and should be treated as such. 

Branden Brazier's Vega products, Garden of Life and Sun Warrior series are among the most powerful vegan protein products out there. Since they are made of high quality, mostly organic ingredients you do not toxify your body with crap that cheap whey proteins give you. 

If you want some cutting edge science, I suggest you look into some work of real researchers who promote vegan diet as being the healthiest option: Dr Kim Williams, Dr Neal Barnard, Dr Caldwell Essestyn, Dr John Mcdougall, Dr Michael Greger, Dr Brian Clement. People who actually work with the sickest members of our population and who see the causes of poor diet choice over years.

Best advice anyone can give you is to tell you to research this stuff for yourself and decide what works the best. That way the ego is not in the way and it feels natural whatever your decision is in the end. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I have friends that work at gyms and they are saying lately that many Bodybuilders are switching to plant-based proteins not because of the animal cruelty or what not but because the results and how they feel. No bloating, no gassing, recovery is better ect.. It is not about the amount of protein that's important, we don't need nowhere near as much as the is recommended, we just need quality of protein and to stay consistent in training like Michael mentioned. Paired with proper sleep/recovery, healthy diet and a solid program and a solid mindset/belief you will build muscle in no-time.

There is more than enough in plant foods :) To explain how the body works to a more extreme view.. I've been eating about 80% fruits lately and since i am training everyday the body is forced to adapt and grow and even at light exercise instead of exhaustion i am not losing muscle/size or haven't noticed in 2-3 weeks thus far nor am i tracking calories anymore just listening to the body.

3e8d4316a93e278fbfdaa7bb832381c8.jpg

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Main causes of cancer are from acidosis - too much acid in body/blood and stationary lifestyles. The reason why meat and animal products are considered a lot as causes of cancer is because they are more acid forming for the human body than say plants for example.

de39b3029c2d3bea858a3906f0e09628.jpg

Here is a quick chart to get a better idea, Hope this helps. In an Alkaline Environment, cancer cannot survive.

B R E A T H E

Meat doesn't cause cancer. It's processed meat laden with nitrates, dextrose, HFCD, corn starch etc that's the real issue. Delly meat and sugar cured bacon is carcinogenic not grass fed beef or wild boar. 

With that being said, excess protein stimulates mTOR, the most important anabolic nutrient sensor that signals your cells to grow - muscle building, bone density, but unfortunately slightly accelerated pace of aging and tumor growth. Now, it's not meat specifically that triggers mTOR. Plant protein could be equally as anabolic if consumed in excess. However, dairy is indeed more anabolic and releases more IGF-1, which is the subsequent hormone to mTOR with similar effects. It's the context of what you eat in what amounts and at what time that should be the main focus, not a particular food group. 

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

On 4/10/2017 at 1:19 AM, sleeperstakes said:

From my research, I've learned that a lot of the "whole foods super healthy organic protein vegan cruelty free" are products that are way over priced. If you're looking for protein powders, go with whey, it's best for gains, and generally the cheapest. As for long term health effects of whey, it depends on how much you have and how often you have it, like anything in nutrition. Generally speaking my research has shown me that the reason a lot of vegans avoid dairy (those that do it for health reasons) do it for the cholesterol and anything passed down from the cow. Given that you are most likely living in a first world country, the production process for whey protein is extremely sterile, they would get sued or cracked down on by health and safety if it wasn't. Second, most whey contains less than 5mg of cholesterol, which is next to nothing. A lot of research suggests that the correlation between cholesterol and heart disease is only causation anyway. 

Also, notice the dogma and ideological crusades going on here. It's highly unlikely that ALL the research points to veganism being the optimal health diet, vegans tend to be fairly tunnel visioned in this respect, in reality there are pros and cons, rather than "this is better than that" like anything in nutrition. 

Whey isn't generally that unhealthy, but it depends on where you source it, a lot of whey products have a lot of added sugar and corners can be cut on quality for cost reasons. Do your research, like any foods, there are healthier options and less healthy ones.

As for meat, there is a lot of conflicting evidence so it depends on your stance. Either way though, if you choose to eat meat and are worried about the long term health effects, get free range organic, not only are a lot of the chemical and other long term health effects lessened in this type of meat, it actually tastes better.

Tl;dr: if you have money to burn and are fine with slower/less optimised results, go for an organic plant based protein, if you don't go for an organic (or non organic if you choose) whey protein. Widely regarded as the best in the sporting world. If you choose to eat meat eat good quality, preferably organic.

How much liters of milk may be needed to produce the whey protein? A lot. Do you think that all the hormones and antibiotics will just disappear in the process?

He mysteriously died shortly after these interviews, reminds me of all the doctors that mysteriously died after linking vaccines to autism.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@Wormon Blatburm  you could read the largest study ever made on animal product consumption called The China Study led by Colin T Cambell. 

They made it into a nice book available to public :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Siim Land so do you think it's ok to eat like 200g of decent quality boiled chicken breast everyday which is considered to be the healthiest meat available?  (I go to the gym 6/7 days of the week, so I need relatively high protein) 

I also eat my fish high in omega-3 two times a week (similar to your keto diet xD) 

I've cut out red meats and meats high in saturated fats now, that you've told me this. But, It's really hard to leave the chicken. Since many health organisations suggest that 0.8-1 gram per pound of body fat, so I need 100g of protein a day to build muscle. 

I love your videos too bro! They're very helpful.

btw, how much protein do you usually get per day when you're on the keto diet?

Edited by The Monk

12 hours ago, The Monk said:

@Siim Land so do you think it's ok to eat like 200g of decent quality boiled chicken breast everyday which is considered to be the healthiest meat available?  (I go to the gym 6/7 days of the week, so I need relatively high protein) 

I also eat my fish high in omega-3 two times a week (similar to your keto diet xD) 

I've cut out red meats and meats high in saturated fats now, that you've told me this. But, It's really hard to leave the chicken. Since many health organisations suggest that 0.8-1 gram per pound of body fat, so I need 100g of protein a day to build muscle. 

Not sure if which is healthiest tbh Ive heard a lot of bad stuff from all of them including chicken being very high in arsenic ect.. but the best thing you could do is look for (Organic) and (Free-Range) or (Grass-Fed) Beef/Chicken much healthier than farmed/processed meats since they are raised in their natural habitats/diets/lifestyles ect.. so the meats have optimal omega-3s and nutrition and organic only adds certification that they are not chemically induced animals or added hormones, vaccines ect..

I remember when i went to South America when i was young and we were in this very unique place with small native tribes and they have wild chickens and land where animals roam free and consume what nature provided and we had lunch and dinner and i remember those being the most amazing tasting chickens i ever had, they were very different in taste and quality to the ones you buy in first world countries for example.

I know this was directed at Siim I'm sure he would give a great answer i just thought id chime some of my knowledge and experience in. All the best :)

B R E A T H E

@pluto I don't know where to get this grass-fed/ organic chicken from though, since I have to eat halal meat. (because of religion) and no place near to me does organic/halal chicken.

Additionally, chicken does contain arsenic if fed  Roxarson  but the FDA said "we shouldn't be alarmed as the amount is too tiny to be dangerous to people who eat it."

who told you that it was high in arsenic?

Edited by The Monk

On 10/9/2017 at 1:14 PM, Wormon Blatburm said:

Anything that doesn't have evidence to back it up is probably just vegan fear tactics

That is argument fallacy, stop projecting on other people.

Edited by Dragallur

When it rains, it pours like hell.
-Insomnium

My blog: dragallur.wordpress.com

On 10/14/2017 at 2:34 PM, The Monk said:

Red meat would be more nutrient dense than chicken breast. Chicken breast is just pure protein with little to not fat whereas red meat has creatine, potential omega 3s and many more vitamins. Granted both come from a grass fed source. 

You don't nor shouldn't exclude all meat as long as you keep it moderate. I don't know how much you weigh but I'm 175 pounds and eat 110-140 pounds of protein a day. I also have days of 60-80 grams. When on keto your protein needs decrease significantly.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

On 2017-10-15 at 6:40 PM, Siim Land said:

110-140 pounds of protein a day

That's unbelievable;)

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018