Vynce

What is depression meta-physically?

14 posts in this topic

Specifically the non-organic (no brain tumor ect.) kind of depression. Where people, out of the blue get the feeling of "no feelings". 

I wondered if "being closer to" / "conscious of" God is the opposite of feeling of "no feelings".

I noticed how my own depressive tendencies quite precisely aligned with me not being conscious of Truth/Beauty/Goodness/God ect. 

Hence nature, plants, animals, new smells, new sounds, laughter, physical activity ect. are so anti-depressive. 

Let me know how I could be wrong and or what depression could be meta-physically. Or if this question cannot be answered like that at all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Vynce What do you perceive depression reveals about the nature of your experience?


It is far easier to fool someone, than to convince them they have been fooled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Natasha Tori Maru said:

@Vynce What do you perceive depression reveals about the nature of your experience?

Luckily I'm 100% depression free atm. But when I experience it, its like I'm forced to play a game, which I never agreed to playing. -> Which is pretty much like God being so lost in the dream that he completely forget that it itself chose to dream exactly this dream. I'm sensing a connection there somewhere, but I don't need it to be this straightforward. Just contemplating out loud..

Depression is also a very personal thing. Often occuring when a person cannot be him/herself the way he/she actually needs to be. When someone is blocked somehow of following once excitements ect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Vynce said:

Specifically the non-organic (no brain tumor ect.) kind of depression. Where people, out of the blue get the feeling of "no feelings". 

I wondered if "being closer to" / "conscious of" God is the opposite of feeling of "no feelings".

I noticed how my own depressive tendencies quite precisely aligned with me not being conscious of Truth/Beauty/Goodness/God ect. 

Hence nature, plants, animals, new smells, new sounds, laughter, physical activity ect. are so anti-depressive. 

Let me know how I could be wrong and or what depression could be meta-physically. Or if this question cannot be answered like that at all. 

 

I don't agree with a lot of the words and framing you use because it puts you at the affect of your emotions, more in a victim like state: "out of the blue", "tendencies." You are the creator of your emotions not the victim of them. the process might be out of your awareness like when you're riding a bike and not focusing on doing it but you are still doing it and with remembrance you can steer that bike and ride it how you wish, encountering different terrain along the way.

Fundamentally, you are precisely correct though. Setting aside material inputs like you did, your emotions are created by your beliefs, which your beliefs are your choice when you go back to them. If you are creating a painful emotion you call depression there is a belief you are not conscious of which is not true and not in agreement with your divine nature, which needs no justification for it's value and existence. You feel less depression when you are conscious of truth because the lie you hold onto that creates depression is seen through.  

Edited by Lyubov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Vynce Thanks for sharing.

I experience depression as a relinquishment of the desire to experience. 

A stagnation of the feeling of anger. Immovable anger.


It is far easier to fool someone, than to convince them they have been fooled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

You feel less depression when you are conscious of truth because the lie you hold onto that creates depression is seen through. 

Yea, like fear based belief systems shedding away with every other belief system in the face of God.

Or constant reliving of trauma (which is heavily linked to depression) gets flushed away by the beaming presence of God.

...

For me at least: the consciousness of God is the most anti-depressive state there could possible be. You could say it's ultimately expressive. 

Edited by Vynce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Natasha Tori Maru said:

@Vynce Thanks for sharing.

I experience depression as a relinquishment of the desire to experience. 

A stagnation of the feeling of anger. Immovable anger.

Yeah, depression is giving up. Because too hard, too draining, too repetitive.. whatever.
I like to imagine how depression is treated 100 from now. Probably very unlike today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Vynce said:

Yeah, depression is giving up. Because too hard, too draining, too repetitive.. whatever.
I like to imagine how depression is treated 100 from now. Probably very unlike today. 

I experience depression as being rooted in unexpressed anger.

Anger strongly propels motion for me. I feel anger not acted on and repressed leads to depression. 

We can have feelings of frustration, elements of judgement & thoughts of righteousness behind the anger. When injustice happens and we get angry, but there is no path to solution (ie systemic issues with society we have little agency to change) anger frequently turns to depression. Lack of motion. Flat, low affect.

From a Buddhist perspective depression would be "there is" an unpleasant feeling, thoughts, bodily sensations, memories, aversion, diminished motivation, identification with a particular narrative and changing conditions.

Emotions and thoughts are difficult to define across the board due to the phenological nature of them. There is a lot of co-dependent arising involved in both. I keep returning loosely to the difference: a thought has cognitive content, whereas a feeling is an affective or felt experience. But this is not strict. Anyway I digress.

Thanks for the contemplation :D

 


It is far easier to fool someone, than to convince them they have been fooled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vynce said:

Specifically the non-organic (no brain tumor ect.) kind of depression. Where people, out of the blue get the feeling of "no feelings". 

I wondered if "being closer to" / "conscious of" God is the opposite of feeling of "no feelings".

I noticed how my own depressive tendencies quite precisely aligned with me not being conscious of Truth/Beauty/Goodness/God ect. 

Hence nature, plants, animals, new smells, new sounds, laughter, physical activity ect. are so anti-depressive. 

Let me know how I could be wrong and or what depression could be meta-physically. Or if this question cannot be answered like that at all. 

 

i don't know if this answers your question, but for me, depression is usually a reaction to how i implicitly (or explicitly) make sense of the world, and, in extension, myself. 

basically, it's like asking myself "is this world/life/experience a good enough place to live in? maybe not..." and it makes assumptions about the permanence and impermanence of pleasant/unpleasant experiences. although this isn't always "no feelings" - it could also just be an unpleasant mix of emotions. 

for me, one of the most depressing things is when "the good" and "the bad" seem so intertwined that i cannot, for the love of God, separate them neatly, and this stops me from being able to make sense of myself as 'good' (which is a core psychological need). so depression isn't the absence of good experiences, but the fact that they seem fundamentally "spoiled".

but my head is also a little weird sometimes, so maybe this is just how it works for me. 

Edited by Judy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Judy2 said:

for me, one of the most depressing things is when "the good" and "the bad" seem so intertwined that i cannot, for the love of God, separate them neatly, and this stops me from being able to make sense of myself as 'good' (which is a core psychological need). so depression isn't the absence of good experiences, but the fact that they seem fundamentally "spoiled".

Is this actually your experience of depression? 

Or is this the state that precedes it? I ask because it seems to be describing a state of confusion, or uncertainty, followed by frustration at ones inability to make sense of a situation. Then proceeding into self flagellation through judgement of the self as "inadequate". That is a lot of additional transitory states that don't necessarily describe depression - but could very well be your trigger into it! 

You also describe "spoiled" experience - perhaps this is disappointment? A feeling of being let down.

All of these states, feelings and thoughts can lead to depression - assuredly.

Correct me if I am wrong. Trying to un-compress what may (or may not) be going on. Typically in states of unrest we have trouble detangling all the different parts of the big charged emotional soup. In fact, most people (men more often) are unable to make finer distinctions in this way. There are many emotions, feelings and thoughts happening. All unique. But they tend to get felt as one big soup of "angry", "happy" or "sad".

Edited by Natasha Tori Maru

It is far easier to fool someone, than to convince them they have been fooled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

@Natasha Tori Maru yes, maybe what i have described is a maintaining factor rather than depression itself. 

Genuinely - what an insight! Maybe this is the loop that feeds the depression? Good things to contemplate :x


It is far easier to fool someone, than to convince them they have been fooled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vynce said:

But when I experience it, its like I'm forced to play a game, which I never agreed to playing.

 

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy = being x meaning ²

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A choice 


To truly love something is to grant that thing freedom. It is to hold it in an open palm of your hand without clenching over it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now