Shodburrito

The Mass Hysteria of AI is Hilarious

17 posts in this topic

I have been paying attention to AI fairly intensively since GPT 3.0 was released. Since then most people have been unaware of the insane developments we've had over the last two years. With SORA being released now everyone is starting to realize, and starting to panic. Thousands of people are sending death threats to AI leaders and developers in the space. Thousands of others are full out saying to halt all AI development. Of course. This is to be suspected, most of these people are people in the art and video industry who are going to lose their jobs because of AI. They see their entire identity and the value of life in their job. I get it, your job is gone but technology replaced millions of jobs throughout history. Stop acting like you're the first and learn to adapt. It's honestly pathetic. I see people out here sounding like they want to cry because they will not be able to post Tiktok or YouTube videos on social media and receive the same amount of attention. They are now saying how social media will just now become AI-generated pleasure garbage, but it already is just human-generated garbage. Like please, get outside, touch grass, find a real hobby. The world could be much better if AI replaced all jobs including creative ones meaning people wouldn't have to be wrapped up in survival all the time. I mean some people just burned a WAYMO car down because they were scared it was going to replace human drivers? Like why, what is there to be scared of an autonomous vehicle especially if they become safer than a human driver? No one knows what's going to happen so just float along with the ride. You're not going to be able to control what happens anyways, and bitching about how AI is "only bad" "Worse than Hitler" or "The world's ending" is stupid. People said the world was ending when basic calculators were invented. I'm not joking, look it up. This whole next decade is going to demonstrate how most people are violent animals totally ignorant of the value of change. 

Edited by Shodburrito

It is ironic that you wouldn't realize that giving the power of evolution to these reactionary apes (of which you might be one, I want to note, considering this is a reactionary response) could pose a recipe for disaster.

Change is not inevitably good. The greater the power given to us, the greater consciousness and responsibility is required. Handwaving the real concerns of individuals and collectives with some dogmatic and unreflecting notion of progress is not the wised thing to do.

When they burn you at the stake, you will have no one to blame but yourself.

Glory to Israel

This whole post is a level 0 naive techno-optimist take.

Edited by zurew

The problem is the power disparity that it creates among people. We only have power politically/societally, because humans have value for each other.

Full automation of society will mean massive political changes that we might not survive well through. Our governments and way of life is very fragile.

Yeah right now, so far it has been shown that it can only do so much without human input... But people are afraid of the potentials... They might be afraid for the WRONG REASONS right now, but that doesn't mean there are not very real concerns.

just-not-how-you-think-its-like-the-social-media-dilemma-v0-8248dghxf0za1.jpg

It is increasingly concerning to see the rampant "AI washing" across industries, where companies heavily market and over hype their use of AI, often exaggerating capabilities and drawing parallels to historical technological deceptions like the "Mechanical Turk chess hoax".

The overuse and misuse of the "AI" label serves as a marketing tactic, raising the specter of an "AI bubble" similar to the dot-com boom, while the more concerning trend is companies quietly using AI to replace human workers despite claims it will create jobs. Here is a good video around it.

AI has always been overhyped.  Google “AI winter”.   The last wave was expert systems, which were the crowning achievement of symbolic processing.  There was one problem – they couldn’t learn and update the rules.  Hence the switch to neural networks which have the ability to learn from data.   However, this new wave is powerful and shouldn’t be underestimated.   A lot of jobs are going to be lost.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

AI used in art is a fuck up. It's a fuck you to the artists. It's blatantly evident that it's motive is to replace artists, and just lay them off whenever and pay them what's least possible. 

AI is an awesome tool for learning, for science. But it's introduction through slapping the art community on the face, is a dick move. It doesn't take much brains to figure out what's the energy profile of this whole ordeal. 

@Shodburrito

On 2024-02-21 at 5:53 PM, Shodburrito said:

I have been paying attention to AI fairly intensively since GPT 3.0 was released. Since then most people have been unaware of the insane developments we've had over the last two years. With SORA being released now everyone is starting to realize, and starting to panic. Thousands of people are sending death threats to AI leaders and developers in the space. Thousands of others are full out saying to halt all AI development. Of course. This is to be suspected, most of these people are people in the art and video industry who are going to lose their jobs because of AI. They see their entire identity and the value of life in their job. I get it, your job is gone but technology replaced millions of jobs throughout history. Stop acting like you're the first and learn to adapt. It's honestly pathetic. I see people out here sounding like they want to cry because they will not be able to post Tiktok or YouTube videos on social media and receive the same amount of attention. They are now saying how social media will just now become AI-generated pleasure garbage, but it already is just human-generated garbage. Like please, get outside, touch grass, find a real hobby. The world could be much better if AI replaced all jobs including creative ones meaning people wouldn't have to be wrapped up in survival all the time. I mean some people just burned a WAYMO car down because they were scared it was going to replace human drivers? Like why, what is there to be scared of an autonomous vehicle especially if they become safer than a human driver? No one knows what's going to happen so just float along with the ride. You're not going to be able to control what happens anyways, and bitching about how AI is "only bad" "Worse than Hitler" or "The world's ending" is stupid. People said the world was ending when basic calculators were invented. I'm not joking, look it up. This whole next decade is going to demonstrate how most people are violent animals totally ignorant of the value of change. 

Of course there's grounds for concern! Based on many developmental factors like Spiral Dynamics stages of development(Don Beck), cognitive and moral development, personality types/traits, 9 stages of ego development(Jane Loevinger), Architypes(Carl Jung), Integral Theory's other lines of development(Ken Wilbur), ideological dogma indoctrinated by family upbringing and culture, meta programming, metanarrative, information ecology controlled by big tech companies to manufacture consent, self biases and worldview, you are utterly wrong and DELUDED! You think simplistically more technological development leads to some Utopia, you are no different than Communists who chase some fantasy that led to millions of lives getting killed and millions of lives suffering from that cost of the vision! Social media has already contributed to brain rot in children's brains, and hyper addictive patterns engineered into their young minds. A.I disruption is a real threat that should be taken seriously. You get to say all that because A.I hasn't taken your job yet, and nobody else has stolen your job from you!

https://www.actualized.org/insights/is-ai-theft

@ryoko

4 hours ago, ryoko said:

AI used in art is a fuck up. It's a fuck you to the artists. It's blatantly evident that it's motive is to replace artists, and just lay them off whenever and pay them what's least possible. 

AI is an awesome tool for learning, for science. But it's introduction through slapping the art community on the face, is a dick move. It doesn't take much brains to figure out what's the energy profile of this whole ordeal. 

TRUE!

On 16/04/2024 at 10:47 AM, ryoko said:

AI is a challenge. Learn how to fight it with your art. Or give up art. Or don't try to fight on a commercial level, and just do art.

Whatever everyone is crying about will still happen. Adapt in one way or another.

Posted (edited)

The only thing you have to worry about is ai is mega corps manipulating the masses and censoring its strength while using it silently.

Edited by Hojo

55 minutes ago, BojackHorseman said:

AI is a challenge. Learn how to fight it with your art. Or give up art. Or don't try to fight on a commercial level, and just do art.

Whatever everyone is crying about will still happen. Adapt in one way or another.

AI has nothing to do with art tbh. It only changes the commercial, business aspects. It's just an excuse to pay less. 

Give up art? Are you so dumb? 😂

Art is beyond AI tbh. I'm not talking about commerical art.. infact art done for commerce is better off being replaced. 

1 hour ago, ryoko said:

AI has nothing to do with art tbh. It only changes the commercial, business aspects. It's just an excuse to pay less. 

Give up art? Are you so dumb? 😂

Art is beyond AI tbh. I'm not talking about commerical art.. infact art done for commerce is better off being replaced. 

I am dumb but that's not the point.

You didn't seem to read my post. But I'll clarify. I was saying to give up if AI scares you so much that you can't find a way around it.

Obviously the intent is not literally asking you to give up. It was formulated that way to shake you up instead of complaining that AI is stealing jobs.

I also did make the distinction between commercial art and non-commercial art.

But anyway. I people to truly love art will find a way of doing it anyway. I'm not worried. It might just become harder. But who cares.

It will be very interesting tho to see how humans, and and their art, will end up adaptating around these inescapable changes

There are still many different outcomes possible.

It's called a tech hype cycle, I think Leo posted a video on it in his blog. If the headline reads "this technology could end the world..." Then people click on it.

They did the same with crypto. 

Certainly
But I think some tech do have bigger potential than other to change our lives
This could easily be one of them, more than crypto (not dissing it tho)