Theprofessional

Mastery process: is emotional labor always necessary?

12 posts in this topic

Does emotional labor always have to be a factor? I’m scared to just follow my passions because it would be too fun and easy, and I’m worried about the consequences.

I play piano for fun right now. I was given lessons when I was a kid but stopped lessons by high school, and in high school I played piano in a few of the big bands, even went to competitive levels. It was never music I really was into, but it was fun

After high school I completely stopped for about 5 years and then abruptly started up again 2 years ago just on my own due to my own passion for classical music. I’ve been playing almost every day and I’m now playing pieces that are considered highly skilled and difficult. I keep it to myself as a secret but when I play for people they are blown away.

I enjoy it so much, and lately I’ve been wondering what negative consequences are going to come from this. I always learned from Actualized.org that you can’t have any results without serious emotional labor.

Every day I’ve been playing over the past few years, it’s been solely because I love it. Even on the toughest, slowest days with no progress, it’s still been exhilerating. I haven’t had to do any “emotional labor” at all.

I’ve been wondering how life is going to “balance it out”. The great arbitrary ironies of life. I’ve been thinking that maybe I’ll get in a car accident and permanently lose motor function in my hands, or I’ll get some of my fingers chewed off in a machine somewhere, or cut off while I’m cooking, etc. 

Similarly, I love movies and I’m a low-level writer/filmmaker as a hobby. I’m so passionate and so connected to it, even more than piano, so I stay away from it nowadays for this same reason.

I have this belief that if I made more films and got really good, this would also make life “balance it out” and horrible things would be inflicted on me for indulging in this passion. Like I would get blinded in an accident, or a brain tumor would take away my vision, etc.

Is this wrong, or do you see truth in this? Thanks.

Hey

The first thing that came to mind was this post from years ago, where the person was taking the advice too mechanically and accidentaly making themselves miserable :

The good news is that youre doing great. Passion is your brightest north star. If there is something you can allways count on, is doing what you're passionate about.

If you are lucky enough to happen to deeply enjoy your medium, you take heaps of emotional labor off your shoulders. A "medium" refers to the specific channel or platform through which one expresses and  shares their art or work.

But if you play piano for fun , why do you worry about mastery? just keep playing when you feel like it, no need to pressure yourself with those standards. And you will improve regardless, and even more so because of the level you're at already.

It would be a different story if you decided that you specifically want to become a world level pianist and and become a world wide recognize musician and teacher. Then, if your vision and purpose is compelling enough , and you find it meaningful enough , you would consider grinding and beginning doing stuff that isn't that fun in spite of it feeling like drudgery, like learning and studying music theory, different instruments, perfecting your pitch, perfecting your ear... These things would require a training schedule and showing up even when you dont feel like. 
That's where emotional labour would come in.

The " balancing out " mechanism you're talking about doesn't work like that. It's just technically what's called " worrying ". Which is good. Definitely be on the lookout for bad things that could happen to you so that you can prevent them. Back problems , muscle tears , tendinitis, Repetitive Strain Injuries...
You could do some emotional labor by working out your body and hands, wrists and back , neck to avoid injuries. Study ergonomics and proper posture if you havent already.

I've recently discovered my own passion for music and have been teaching myself to sing for the last 3 years and guitar for 6 months, so I know what joy you're feeling. It's a healthy obsession.

Keep it up, and keep doing films silly you lol

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

@mmKay thanks so much for the response. Lmao did you seriously remember that post from back then, or did you just pull it through my history? Because yes that was also me. I think I might just be a huge idiot.

Oh lol I didnt know it was you haha

Dont be so hard on yourself, some stuff is very tricky and can be misunderstood or missapplied.

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

You are doing the emotional labor right now.

Push through these old beliefs you have about how something bad will happen if you follow your passion.

This is the emotional labor.

Life doesn't have to be hard.

The creative process can make a person happy, and a happy person is more likely to succeed in other vocations too rather than an unhappy person. So I don't see any issues if you are involved in the creative processes of music or film-making as long as it makes you happy.

You can also choose a vocation that blends your skills in music and film-making now or in the future.

I would also say that 'emotional labor' can be a fun process as well if you consciously set your mind to cultivate an interest in it and enjoy it as well.

There is an inspiring saying by an Indian sage named Vivekananda in this regard...

Even the greatest fool can accomplish a task if it were after his or her heart. But the intelligent ones are those who can convert every work into one that suits their taste. ~Swami Vivekananda

Edited by Ajay0

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole

Emotional labour in relation to mastery refers to situations related to progress, not dealing with accidents. Life doesn't balance things like that don't worry man. Focus/Enjoy on your actions and don't worry about the results. You seem to be doing great.

I would argue not necessarily, music can be very self-therapeutic, in which case there's some effort involved but mostly you're just going with the flow. Music played a big role in my awakening journey also.

And so it also depends on what your goal with it is. Is it for yourself mostly or other people? Very different things I would say. And for other people it also depends on what your purpose with that is.

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

Actualized also teaches to do what you can do for hours and enjoy 

paradox

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Blissipline.

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

@r0ckyreed The Code of the Extraordinary Mind - Vishen Lakiani 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

Follow your passion. Enjoy it! Even if it is easy!

If you're passionate, you've made it 🕊️

Life will present with you challenges that will push you into emotional labour anyhow, so respond to them in the moment.

🕉️

Edited by Brandon Nankivell