Husseinisdoingfine

Is Cal Newport a good all around self-help author?

17 posts in this topic

Greetings.

So I am someone who deeply struggles in school and I have for as long as I can remember. I want to become a really proactive person about this, as reflecting back, never have I once implemented an effective studying strategy. My studying strategies have always just included cramming and revising my notes over and over again, only to forget the material when the exam came around. I have indeed worked hard, but never smart. No one ever taught me how to study, or of effective learning strategies, rather I was instead shamed and guilted for laziness, but never given resources and tools to overcome this and to be an effective student, rather I was given more yelling and even beatings. 

I pose this question to the forum, because I know for a fact that Leo Gura has one of Cal Newport's books on his book list. Is Cal Newport a really smart self help author? Because I want to buy two of his books to help me with this problem.

71asonBFVIL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

71bEi6-UkNL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

those 2 books above are complete garbage. he is a good salesman .

Edited by Ramanujan

@Husseinisdoingfine cal newports book on studying are good for nothing . look into a software called anki . look into youtube channels that give study advice

Edited by Ramanujan

Well how do you know? Have you read the books? Also, I tried the YouTube advice and it didn’t work.

His book Deep Work is very good

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I mean Leo's video, "How to Study" was what got me some scholarship money so you might like it.

Cal's Deep work is just for "optimization" IMO.  I need videos like( some of) Leo's that give me the big picture, otherwise I can't function without reframing everything material in a spiritual context.

Hell, even his Wage Slavery video is already bordering a materialistic goal. And therefore I see people in this forum feeling stressed and pressured for not accomplishing such goal.

Edited by EdgeGod900

God likes to cosplay as a human O.o xDxD

Deep work and digital minimalism can change your life in you APPLY them, especially for people who loves forums ;)

His other books are good so I'd expect these to be good too.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I read both of them. They are worth reading :)

Of course, reading Newport’s books is better than smoking Newports.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

17 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Of course, reading Newport’s books is better than smoking Newports.

Why not both? Smoking Newports while reading Newport seems like a relaxing way to spend an evening.

1 hour ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Why not both? Smoking Newports while reading Newport seems like a relaxing way to spend an evening.

I’ve never smoked nicotine once in my life, so I wouldn’t know what the consequences are. I’ve also never read any Newport books.

From what I’ve read, smoking cigarettes leads to many health consequences down the road.

Edit: nevermind, I actually have smoked hookah a couple times with friends. Never got addicted to it or felt the need to do it again, though.

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

On 25/1/2024 at 8:57 PM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Well how do you know? Have you read the books? Also, I tried the YouTube advice and it didn’t work.

yes i have

his book on studying are horseshit .

8 hours ago, Yimpa said:

I’ve never smoked nicotine once in my life, so I wouldn’t know what the consequences are. I’ve also never read any Newport books.

From what I’ve read, smoking cigarettes leads to many health consequences down the road.

Edit: nevermind, I actually have smoked hookah a couple times with friends. Never got addicted to it or felt the need to do it again, though.

smoking is the greatest scam on earth . every one who ever smoke , smoked one coz they got  conned by media

He's great if you want to pursue the path of deep mastery in academics or computer programming or something related to science and engineering or self-discipline.