Nivsch

Is to intelectualize "bad" when want to understand emotions?

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Its been couple of years the I have a beliefe that it is, maybe, enough to just feel the emotions fully and to enough time in order to gradually understand yourself better through communication with your subconscious directly, and that intelectualization about the emotiom/thought gets in the way of it, and actually breaks that connection and prevent you from really tapping into your subconscious and your so to speak higher self.

But I don't know, because if it was so simple, then the magic of this therapy process would diminish and in some sense I don't want it to be so simplistic, and I really think that some intelectualization and a complex inner communication is helpful or maybe necessary. And this is interesting for me to know what do you think?

And after all, there is no a clear line between to just flow with an emotion/thought and to also think about it very consciously (to intelectualize) and we are always found anywhere in the scale.

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

Sounds like you use thoughts to escape from owning your emotions. The proper relationship between emotions and thought is to be honest with how you feel and own the fact that it's you who feels it. 
Try this exercise:

1. focus on your throat area. (Throat chakra)
  2. Breathe deep and slow.
  3. On the out-breath relax your throat and say vocally or in your mind's voice something true.
    Start by filling in any of these phrases:
    • I'm worthy of...
    • I like...
    • I dislike...
    • I want...
    • I don't want...
    • I love...
    • I hate...
    • I am...
    • I am not...

Say these phrases like you don't know the answer and let whatever comes just come. Go with the flow and be spontaneous. Feel into what is true for you. It might take some time for something to come up, let it take time then. That's why we breathe slowly.
These phrases are just a suggestion if something else comes up spontaneously, let it.

4. On the in-breath feel the anticipation in your throat like words are bubbling up.
5. Repeat from step 3.

Tell me how it goes.

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Posted (edited)

@martins name Thank you a lot and I will try this!

I found out today again that there is another layer of complexity here, because after a while, the desire to dive into the emotions starts to be counter productive, and then actually to do the opposite and let the system run its own course without trying to improve it, this is actually the most therapuetic action at that moment.

This is always changing and more tricky than what it seems. In the essense its like to walk in a dark cave when every step takes you closer to be more unite, accepting and loving, but you never know exactly what will be the next step and this is always suprises you.

Thats the reason in my opinion why CBT, DBT and another every fixed psychological method is still so limited and gross. Without independent thinking on this I would never get to reduce significantly my ocd, I got to succeed to do and to reach the relatively good situation I am in today only with a self reliance trans method attitude.

I want to say that actually I am very into to feel directly my emotions and often times I am kind of friendly with this so this is not my concern.

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

@Nivsch I probably misunderstood you. Good luck with the technique it's been powerful for me. I surprised myself with the things I started saying,

It’s a combination of thinking, feeling, observing, allowing, forgiving, physically moving, staying still, etc 

Your thoughts and emotions create each other so you sort of gotta do both. Some of my biggest growth has been a combination for hiking and feeling and reading books lie Byron Katie and others

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

You'll intellectualize, but focus on contemplating it; let it be completely, feel it, and ask what it is and what's it doing? Look into your experience of the emotion itself rather than on your concept about it.

The emotion occurs in a different domain than the intellectualizing, so contemplating it requires being where the emotion is felt.

Edited by UnbornTao

On 3.1.2024 at 9:07 PM, martins name said:

@Nivsch I probably misunderstood you. Good luck with the technique it's been powerful for me. I surprised myself with the things I started saying,

Why surprised yourself?

And thanks!

Posted (edited)

@Thought Art Yes actually it is so many actions thanks for making it more explicit to me.

@UnbornTao To ask why is it here I do a lot, but yes also to feel it more probably it will help.

On 3.1.2024 at 11:32 PM, Squeekytoy said:

You make observations, you learn the patterns, you connect the dots, you draw conclusions.

It couldn't be more obvious when you think about it. This is how EVERYTHING works ALL THE TIME.

So it is intelectualize but with the current emotion (and not to just go back in time and theorize like the freudian approcah does).

And the last paragraph - interesting!

Edited by Nivsch

@Nivsch started to admit things to myself. And the stream of consciousness just takes me to unexpected places.

Posted (edited)

On 1/3/2024 at 7:44 AM, Nivsch said:

Its been couple of years the I have a beliefe that it is, maybe, enough to just feel the emotions fully and to enough time in order to gradually understand yourself better through communication with your subconscious directly, and that intelectualization about the emotiom/thought gets in the way of it, and actually breaks that connection and prevent you from really tapping into your subconscious and your so to speak higher self.

OK -- first I want to commend you on getting the bolded part right.  That is precisely the name of the game here.

The issue with intellect is that it can confuse and water down what is a clear, unambiguous directive from the higher self that needs to be acted upon, used as motivation, can be something primal that doesn't require intellectualization, etc.

In other words, the mind/intellect can get in the way.

A lot of people don't trust their gut instincts.  They want to analyze, overanalyze, abstract, reify, etc.  They're just not comfortable without the mental bullshit.  This overcomplicates things and can stall one's life unnecessarily.  

Edited by SeaMonster

Posted (edited)

No emotion is bad.

Allow your body and mind to communicate consciously with each other.

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

people ask me how to feel, I don't know how to respond. "I don't know," I say. putting things in words is powerful.

understand emotions? maybe what you really want to understand is why you acted a certain way, because you want to change your actions in the future. Is it bad to think about the past and future?

@Squeekytoy Agree. I am now in a point I am no longer believe the content but rather believe it has a subtext.

In other words the story isn't right but it has a take home message.

Edited by Nivsch