Thought Art

How to Make Stainless Steel Non-stick

19 posts in this topic

I haven’t tried this yet, but my first thought is… what a scam non-stick pans are for health, environment etc if people only knew how to use their pan.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

If you just pre-heat your pan enough most things won't stick.

Non-stick pans are good for tricky stuff like crepes.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Indeed, creeps do tend to stick around.

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

I use an instant pot for everything, you don't have to worry about sticking, and most importantly you have a lot of room to cook more than a day's worth of food which is the problem I have with pans, they're too small. So I would invest in an instant pot before buying a pan.

11 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Indeed, creeps do tend to stick around.

Your profile picture gives me the creeps without sticking 😀

Edited by MarkKol

40 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

If you just pre-heat your pan enough most things won't stick.

That did cross my mind.

I also note there are likely different technologies for non-stick which may be more or less friendly to holistic health.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

I only cook with stainless. It's easy.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Pre heat your pan, flick some water at it. 
If the water rolls into a ball it is hot enough to be non stick.

If you add a bit of butter to your oil, makes it less sticky for some reason. Anecdotal observation from me.

Aside from that, literally just make sure your oil is hot before you put anything in it. Really that simple.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

My most profound insight 

◭"89"

@Jason Actualization I think it depends on the type of non-stick

◭"89"

1 minute ago, Jason Actualization said:

If it's coated with PTFE, then it's got to go. I'm sure there are less offensive materials used in the coatings, but given the affordability and accessibility of stainless steel, I would never roll the dice.

A ton of things in modern society are very offensive. I’ve found it best to accept that reality and to not avoid everything I perceive as a threat. Easier said than done, of full course meal.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

5 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

A ton of things in modern society are very offensive. I’ve found it best to accept that reality and to not avoid everything I perceive as a threat. Easier said than done, of full course meal.

Nice, I can see the virtue of acceptance, I suspect there is a mental ease about that which need be revered.

My modus operandi is to balance my own acknowledgement of the modern landscape with the most prudent navigation of it. I think of myself as an archer shooting his shot, i.e., once I've setup up, accounted for the foreseeable factors, pulled back on the bow and arrow, and let go, I've done my job. If a considerable gust of wind happens to derail my arrow from the intended bullseye, then oh well, I did my best, and I am agnostic to the outcome: I am outcome independent. I didn't just throw my hands in the air and admire the target from afar, I still took my shot, in good faith and effort, and I can hang my hat on the effort I put forth, not the outcome I could render, and certainly not the extenuating circumstances (i.e., the aforementioned wind) that I was incapable of accounting for.

6 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Man, you don’t need to buy shitty unhealthy products though. 

◭"89"

2 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Man, you don’t need to buy shitty unhealthy products though. 

True (reading this as I’m eating a veggie sandwich)

@Yimpa make me one too thx

◭"89"

If you don't use cast iron like a real man you should get your testosterone levels checked.

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Posted (edited)

The water needs to roll into a ball but not break into pieces... if it breaks into pieces the pan is too hot. That said, I use good quality Teflon most of the time. I've come to learn that there's lots of conspiracies revolving around GMOs, synthetics, chemicals, or anything manmade, that people think they are all bad. Teflon as it's manufactured today (without PFOAs) is relatively harmless.   If you think the right are silly for believing vaccines are clotting up the body, well to my perception it's equally silly to avoid chemicals approved by major governments around the world proven safe because of internet conspiracy theories.  Generally our government agencies are not trying to kill us, though some would believe otherwise. ;)

What you shouldn't do with Teflon is allow it to preheat bare on a stove getting above 500 degrees F, because it will ruin it.

Edited by sholomar