Bazooka Jesus

Infinity In Music

20 posts in this topic

Sometimes the best spiritual pointers are non-verbal ones. They have the advantage of not filling one's head with concrete images and stories; rather than appealing to the intellect (which turns everything it comes across into narrowly defined concepts), they touch something much deeper within us than mere rational understanding... and music can do this like no other art form in existence.

As someone who loves classical stuff, I have yet to come across another piece of music that conveys the terrifying beauty of infinty as aptly as György Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna" (Eternal Light).

It gives you (almost) the same feeling of boundless vastness, stillness, timelessness, of simultaneously rising up to the heavens and falling into the abyss that is characteristic of all mystical experiences. And it sounds both gorgeous and creepy as hell.

Another composer who had a real knack for putting infinity to music - or music to infinity - was Richard Wagner. His speciality, if you will, was tapping into the divine interface between pain and ecstasy where unfathomable heartache, unspeakable bliss, unfulfillable longing and unimaginable love all flow together and merge into one big orgiastic ocean of sound... like here, for example:

Old Richard is an especially fascinating case of an artist who managed to tap into the realm of divine transcendence with his work... because by all accounts, the guy was one of the most egotistical & bigoted bags of human excrement who ever composed music; so how a dude like that was capable of creating music like this remains one of the great mysteries of this miraculous reality we're living in. Which for me honestly only adds to the sense of incredulous wonder and fascination that always engulfs me whenever I venture into his ravishing soundscapes.

---

I know, I  know, I've shared these gems a 1001 times before. What can I say, I am f@%!ing obsessed with this kind of music, so forgive me for sharing it for the one thousandth and second time. :D

And feel free to share your own favorite musical pointers!

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?

Agalloch is a Post/black/doom/folk metal band from USA.These 2 tracks contains little vocals but good examples to give you a taste of the sonic landscape that they can create. They have full instrumentals aswell.
Their in general so good at conveying  in music the solemn immensity of mistery of Life.
The whispering, the acoustic guitar, the choirs, ambient sounds, the pauses, darkness and clarity, the drums,: all adds up to the result.

Existence is music, a harmonic system of resonant tones, as a possible analogy. 

Edited by Vibroverse

The synth in Jake Chudow - Shona

Edited by tuku747

5 hours ago, rachMiel said:

Mmmmm, good stuff. I've heard about overtone singing but never really listened to it... up until now.

Btw, clicking on the video and checking the recommendations under it lead me to this one:

WOW. I am so going to listen to this during my next shroom trip. 9_9

5 hours ago, rachMiel said:

That's what I call uneasy listening, lol.

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?

5 hours ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

That's what I call uneasy listening, lol

The original posting said 'the terrifying beauty of infinity'! 

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ... 

6 hours ago, tuku747 said:

The synth in Jake Chudow - Shona

perfect trip music my manxD

Is this progressive psyche-trance? or something like that

Edited by Francis777

Music will carry you through, always

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

5 hours ago, Francis777 said:

Is this progressive psyche-trance? or something like that

Jake Chudnow really just has his own flavour IMO, his songs produce emotions I've never felt before. Highly recommend going through the rest of his stuff, they are as good if not better.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Mmmm, look what I just stumbled across:

Welcome to my shroom trip playlist, Wolfgang. 9_9

Why so serious?