Something Funny

How can we expect global peace of we can't even have peace on this forum?

10 posts in this topic

Isn't it crazy?

There are like 100 active members here and yet we don't seem to be able to have a civilized, respectful discussion here.

Is this just human nature?

If so, then how can we expect conflicts to stop happening in the real world when we can't even prevent a conflict from happening on an online forum where stakes are much lower.

I have been personally guilty of this myself. I would get emotional and start arguing with person I disagree with. Not trying to learn or come to an agreement but trying to prove my point. I am also being disrespectful and overly agressive from time to time. Sometimes I dramatise things too much. Etc, etc.

But is it really such a high standard to hold to be respectful of  a person you are talking to even if they opinion is different, or even if you thing that they are clearly wrong, or said something dumb?

Wouldn't it be cool if everyone here behaved in a mature and respectful way, trying to learn from each other and help each other to grow and get closer to truth?

This sounds really inspiring to me to be honest.

Thank you for at least admitting your fault. But you are right this is a human thing, it was, it is and it will always be. That’s basically God fighting with Himself, otherwise would be a boring case scenario to live. Thank about watching a movie without any actions, it would be simply boring. Those with low conscious will not understand me and will criticize but this is the reality of this life. Don’t worry man, just sit back and enjoy the show. That’s all what it is at the end of the day. 

@Something Funny When survival is at stake, people no longer engage rationally or fairly. Survival is not just physical but ideological and of the collective identity.

Especially when discussing wars and conflicts, the difficulty multiplies.

1 hour ago, Gennadiy1981 said:

Thank you for at least admitting your fault. But you are right this is a human thing, it was, it is and it will always be. That’s basically God fighting with Himself, otherwise would be a boring case scenario to live. Thank about watching a movie without any actions, it would be simply boring. Those with low conscious will not understand me and will criticize but this is the reality of this life. Don’t worry man, just sit back and enjoy the show. That’s all what it is at the end of the day. 

Sure, but probably if you were in a city being bombed now you would think differently about boredom, but yes , I understand your perspective. Sometimes I think that to live a full apocalypse would be great

3 hours ago, Something Funny said:

have been personally guilty of this myself. I would get emotional and start arguing with person I disagree with. Not trying to learn or come to an agreement but trying to prove my point. I am also being disrespectful and overly agressive from time to time. Sometimes I dramatise things too much. Etc, etc.

We are trying to see the truth as close it's possible, to make an accurate map. Some argument are ok to help us to get closer to the truth. Seeing the attitudes of people are part of the truth

Edited by Breakingthewall

2 hours ago, Something Funny said:

Isn't it crazy?

There are like 100 active members here and yet we don't seem to be able to have a civilized, respectful discussion here.

Is this just human nature?

If so, then how can we expect conflicts to stop happening in the real world when we can't even prevent a conflict from happening on an online forum where stakes are much lower.

I have been personally guilty of this myself. I would get emotional and start arguing with person I disagree with. Not trying to learn or come to an agreement but trying to prove my point. I am also being disrespectful and overly agressive from time to time. Sometimes I dramatise things too much. Etc, etc.

But is it really such a high standard to hold to be respectful of  a person you are talking to even if they opinion is different, or even if you thing that they are clearly wrong, or said something dumb?

Wouldn't it be cool if everyone here behaved in a mature and respectful way, trying to learn from each other and help each other to grow and get closer to truth?

This sounds really inspiring to me to be honest.

The more the situation involves content that is emotionally difficult, the harder it's going to be for everyone to respond maturely. I appreciated you being conscious about it and your intention to improve the discussion. We can only control our side of the discussion and strive to approach it with honesty, an open mind, love and respect.

The Israel threads are pretty tame compared to other internet forums. 

A lot of the distortions in reality are rising up and breaking apart, so we are going to see humanity at its worst. No point sitting on the fence and being silent about it. That Palestine region was a huge entry point for all kinds of energies. When those points close, there will be peace. 

To be honest, considering the diversity of perspectives here, this is one of the better forums for having productive disagreements that I've encountered. The fact that these forums are heavily moderated rather than an 'anything goes' arena goes a long way in facilitating that.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Its easy  to get triggered especially when it comes to certain heavy topics.

I think a good foundation would be something like this, but its obviously hard to follow and this can only work if the other person is good faith as well:

1) If you feel really distressed and or emotional - stop engaging with people on the topic and try to relax a bit until you feel more grounded emotionally.

2) If you sense, that certain people are triggered about certain things to do point that its almost impossible to have a reasonable back and forth with them - stop engaging with those people until they cool down.

3) Always seek clarity and understanding:

• In the middle of the discussion if you feel confused you can always ask "what is that you try to establish with your argument?"
  • Be clear to yourself and to your interlocutor whats your goal in the discussion and then ask the question if its necessary whats your interlocutor's goal in the discussion. This will give a clear frame and context how to interpret your interlocutors points and thoughts.
  • When someone says something that seems incorrect or stupid on its face - try to give them the benefit of the doubt and ask clarifying questions if that person actually meant what you think he/she meant.
  • Try to reiterate the other person's position in your own words to demonstrate how much and how well you understood his/her points
  • Ask them to reiterate your points in their own words to see what and where the misunderstanding or disagreement actually is.

4) Try to steel-man the other persons position to the best of your ability to demonstrate that you try to be good faith.

Edited by zurew

Forms, bring out the worst of people and are full of egotistical people. Don’t judge the followers of Leo videos by the form. 

Anyone who says they’re enlightened on this form in anyway is not, except me I am.