Sincerity

Interesting Math Videos Mega-Thread

28 posts in this topic

Post them math videos. :)

Especially those which have broadened your understanding in a cool way, sparked your curiosity, reminded You of the nature of the universe somehow.

Good thread! If you want to find interesting stuff about math I can recommend two youtube channels : Veritasium and 3Blue1Brown

Here are the 25 great math explainers from this year's Summer of Math Exposition, created by 3Blue1Brown and other folks:

And here are the three playlists from the 3 SOMEs:

You are SURE to find something that sparks your interest here! :)

These guys are excellent:

All stories and explanations are false.

@LastThursday I loved the Einstein Tile video! :D Amazing how intelligent solutions often times arise from playful tinkering. 

I watched a video: Why you can't divide by zero.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I posted this same video the other day in another topic. 

To think that God pools from the vastness of possibility...

we are literally God's name, continuously pronouncing.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

This guy is phenomenal at solving sudoku puzzles. I’ve been able to solve expert puzzles thanks to his guidance ^_^ 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

A video on a very strange sequence of numbers with large implications on various branches of mathematics, some of which are very abstract and completely counter intuitive.  For example, if one could compute the 27th term of this sequence, than we would automatically know whether or not the Goldbach conjecture is true or false.  Similarly, the Reimann Hypothesis can be proven to be true or false if the 744th term of this sequence can be computed.  There are terms of this sequence whose value can NEVER be proven to be true or false (true but unprovable), meaning the term has a definite value, but there is no way to tell what that value is given the type of mathematics we use today.  It's not a matter of using more advanced mathematical techniques within our current mathematical axioms, you would have to use different mathematical axioms to begin with.

Here is a follow up video that I had not watched yet when I shared the first video.  This video basically goes into more detail of some of the strange properties of the Busy Beaver's Sequence mentioned in the original video.  This video is more interesting than the original video, since it demonstrates that when a finite system like mathematics goes meta, it runs into strange issues involving the nature of infinity.  Here, this sequence looks at all computable algorithms with n states which halt when given an infinite string of all 0's.  However, the sequence itself is not computable after a certain point.  Very counter intuitive.  In addition, it links the Busy Beaver's Sequence to the famous Collatz Conjecture.

Edited by Null Simplex

A physical simulation of half of a hyperbola and waves originating and propagating from the focii of the hyperbola.  The hyperbola reflects the waves, but due to the properties of a hyperbola, it appears that the waves go straight through the hyperbola, creating perfect circles centered at the focii despite the circles being reflected.

This video is a similar concept but for the sister of the hyperbola, the ellipse.  Visually this simulation is boring, but mathematically I find it interesting.

Another interesting video on the reflective properties of an ellipse.  This one is more visually stimulating than the previous ellipse video.

Edited by Null Simplex

Math can predict what kind of person you are by fusing networking theory with sociology:

The metadata that big tech companies can get from you allows them to accurately predict your iq, personality type, sexual orientation, and many other things including your likeliness to be a drug addict or pregnant. This has implications for managing people on a large scale politically or psychologically as well as a consumer with targeted advertisements. This isn't really new information to most of you here though, as it's mathematically likely that you're already aware of all this.

I gave chat gpt a list of my youtube subscriptions and then asked it questions about my preferences and the views I likely held on various issues. It was quite accurate most of the time...

Based on your YouTube subscription list, here are some inferences that can be made about you:

Interest in Science and Mathematics: Subscriptions to channels like 3Blue1Brown, Bozeman Science, Domain of Science, and Numberphile suggest a strong interest in science, particularly in mathematics and its applications.

Personal Development and Self-Improvement: You seem to be invested in personal growth and self-improvement, as indicated by subscriptions to Actualized.org, Abraham-Hicks Publications, Adyashanti, August Bradley - Life Design, Brian Johnson, and Sadhguru.

Mental and Physical Health: Channels such as Dr. Alex Heyne - Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine, Gravity Transformation - Fat Loss Experts, and StrongFirst imply a focus on both mental and physical well-being.

Programming and Technology: With subscriptions to channels like CS Dojo, Colt Steele, Corey Schafer, and Tech With Tim, you appear to have an interest in coding, software development, and technology trends.

Psychology and Mindfulness: Interest in psychology, mental health, and mindfulness is evident from channels such as HealthyGamerGG, Mindful Mindfool, Psychology with Dr. Ana, and This Jungian Life.

Entrepreneurship and Business: Channels such as ColdFusion, Notion, and Wendover Productions indicate an interest in business, entrepreneurship, and productivity tools and methods.

Philosophy and Spirituality: Subscriptions to channels like Einzelgänger, ModernHealthMonk, Om Swami, and The Diamond Net suggest a reflective and philosophical approach to life, possibly exploring different spiritual traditions.

Fitness and Outdoor Lifestyle: With channels like Global Triathlon Network, Mark Wildman, and The Run Experience, there's a clear interest in fitness, possibly with a specific inclination towards running and triathlon.

Educational Content and Learning: The presence of educational and informational content such as Biographics, Ted-Ed, and Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell suggests that you are a lifelong learner with a curiosity about a wide range of topics.

Creative and Artistic Interests: Subscriptions to channels like M O S T L Y strings and Trance Classics hint at an appreciation for music and possibly other forms of art.

Tech and Gadget Reviews: Following Marques Brownlee and TechLead indicates you are keeping up with tech reviews and industry leaders' insights.

Interest in Politics or Social Commentary: Channels like Vaush and friendlyjordies may point towards an engagement with political discourse and social commentary.

Hobby and DIY Projects: Kris Harbour Natural Building and Stuff Made Here show a liking for do-it-yourself projects, perhaps as a hobby or a practical interest.

Investment and Cryptocurrency: DataDash subscription suggests you might have an interest in financial markets, investment strategies, or cryptocurrency.