Oceansky1980

WANTED: monasteries, ashrams, sanghas

15 posts in this topic

Please write me your ideas:  I need websites of monasteries, ashrams or sanghas (or other options like animal welfare facilities)

Ideal features:

-around the equator region of the earth (Bali etc.)

-close to the ocean is a plus (as the sea air is great for my asthma)

-long term stay (6-12 months)

-more focus on meditation / yoga than on physical labour (due to my autoimmune diseases i cant do much physical work)

-low cost stay or

-4 hours of work each day in exchange for board & lodge

-"volunteering" should not end in exploitation

I have already asked the "paraiso verde" in Paraguay but sadly they told me, that i need at least 4000 Euros to permanently move there, and that is too much for me.

Your ideas and experiences are welcome - thank you in advance.

Tania from Vienna

You can view Shaolin online of shi yeng hi.

Edited by Rishabh R

It's in Europe and there is 12 month mastery program. You can google Shaolin Europe .

Sashguru's Isha centers in India maybe? 

India is probably your best bet if you want something cheap. Nicer countries will cost a lot.

Perhaps you can find stuff in cheap countries like Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

https://isha.sadhguru.org/in/en/volunteer/sadhanapada

This is a free of monetory cost program. However not exactly free of cost because you will work here if you choose to go....and you will work according to your capacities..I wouldn't worry about exploitation if I am going to Isha..

They will never exploit anyone. 

I have yet to meet anyone who experienced anything but positive effects after going to Isha ashram. 

If you are looking for low cost stay this is not the program...from what I understand that program is about falling in love with work. 

Yoga and meditation are central themes here. 

If you aren't sure about the program yet, you can stay there for a week and explore this place. Food is free for anyone at 2 specific times and apart from that high quality cheap food at restaurants there. 

Stay is extremely affordable ₹1000-  ₹2000 but you will need to book in advance and I don't think you can stay there for 6-12 months. Maybe for 1-2 months. I am not sure you can confirm with them. 

I have been to main Isha centre twice for 21 days and 2 days respectively...and I loved it. It is a place to go for learning yoga and meditation. 

Edited by Harsh Bagdia

There's a Vipassana Site here in Philippines. From my knowledge, they are searching for workers there. 

There is this nice zen oriented place up in the mountains in southern India, people from all over the world are there. It costs about 10 bucks a night and it includes a room with private bathroom and the price also includes all meals (which are excellent). The schedule is also very relaxed, there is about 3 hours of scheduled meditation in the hall and just a few hours of light work in the morning like sweeping the terraces or cutting veggies for the meals. Outside of that you can spend your time meditating or reading or walking around in nature. It's quite a small place and I don't want to advertise it too much, so shoot me dm and I can send more info. 

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

@TheAlchemist She doesn't have the ability to PM you, but you can PM her.

Sounds like a nice place you found.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

According to your profile, you lived in Vienna, one of the safest and most beautiful cities in the world. You can also easily go everywhere in Europe.
Why do you and other gullible white people want to go to shitty tropical countries and go to "ashrams" "monasteries" ? 
Serious question.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

To answer the question, I've often been told that Mexico and Mexicans would be cool.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

@Oceansky1980 @LSD-RumiBtw here is an excellent resource on retreat places all around Asia, most of these are really affordable ones also. None of those flashy retreats that cost thousands, the list is written by a very legit guy who has stayed in a lot of these places in Asia. Funnily I randomly bumped into him when staying at one these places, which I discovered thanks to his post ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/comments/jr19vu/updated_buddhist_dharma_retreat_listings_for_asia/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=2&utm_content=2

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

The site "Workaway" has a lot of good oppotunties like this. I'm looking for something similar to what you described