ryandesreu

Quotes Thread

16 posts in this topic

Quotes can be profound, influential, funny, informative, motivating... Drop a few of your best quotes here and add some to your collection.

"When a human becomes conscious of nature, nature through the human becomes conscious of itself." -Eckhart Tolle

"I'm not out to change people's minds and move everybody to the center. I'm out to make people stop demonizing the other side." -Jonathan Haidt

"Many of the world's problems aren't solved. They're outgrown, and in order to outgrow them, it requires a new level of consciousness." -Ram Dass

”What you seek is seeking you” - Rumi

”in the depth of winter I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer” - Albert Camus

Classics

Edited by Sugarcoat

"Some people are looking for food, but this food you don't put in your mouth that goes into your stomach. This food is words that go in through your ears and it can nurture your soul and renew your spirit."

Mahadev

Well people are suckers for convenience. They think the more convenient - the better, and they end up throwing away what's truly good. Limitations force creativity.

- Nosramus, From Fear & Hunger (Game)

In my hands, I hold the Gift of Light.
In my body, I hold the Strength of Resistance.
In my head, I hold the Will of Light.
In my heart, I hold Eternal Resilience.

- Ira Circosa, a youtube commenter.

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult.

- Seneca

There is a story about a great sage, Narada, who came to Vishnu.

When Narada came to Vishnu, he said, ‘What is the secret of your Maya?’ And Vishnu took him and threw him into a pool.
The moment he fell under the water he was born as a princess in a very great family, and went through all the experiences of childhood as a little girl. She finally married a prince from another kingdom and went to live with him in his kingdom. They lived there in tremendous prosperity, with palaces and peacocks, but suddenly there was a war and their kingdom was attacked and utterly destroyed. The prince himself was killed in battle, and he was cremated. As a dutiful wife, the princess was about to throw herself weeping on to the funeral pyre and burn herself in an act of Sati, or self-sacrifice.  But suddenly, Narada woke to find himself being pulled out of the pool by his hair by Vishnu, who said: 'For whom were you weeping?’

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.

- Uncle Iroh, from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

"Good manners without sincerity are like a beautiful dead lady," he remarked on suitable occasion. "Straightforwardness without civility is like a surgeon's knife, effective but unpleasant. Candor with courtesy is helpful and admirable."

- Paramahansa Yogananda quoting Sri Yukteshwar (IIRC). From the Autobiography of a Yogi.

“I have a square head and a real ghost has a round one. All we have to do is make my head round and boo, I’m scary!” – SpongeBob SquarePants

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

"Nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first understood."

-Da Vinci

Edited by Bobby_2021

“So vile a thing is a lie that even if it spoke fairly of God it would take away somewhat from His divinity; and so excellent a thing is truth that if it praises the humblest things they are exalted.”

"How a situation develops is connected to the state of consciousness with which you meet the situation." -Eckhart Tolle

"I never allow myself to have an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do." -Charlie Munger 

On 7/6/2023 at 1:11 AM, Yimpa said:

“I have a square head and a real ghost has a round one. All we have to do is make my head round and boo, I’m scary!” – SpongeBob SquarePants

That episode weirded me out as a kid haha in hindsight it's pretty damn weird how they shaved his fucking head off, gotta love spongebob

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Damn, I must’ve been high as a kite when I wrote that one xD

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

"Live simply so that others may simply live." Mahatma Gandhi 

"I don't want any of Your Dreams to come True, I want things that You could never Dream of to happen to You" - Sadhguru

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru