Intraplanetary

stop chasing after passion

71 posts in this topic

Yeah I think passion can be overblown at times 

But sometimes without passion it's very difficult to do it 

It might be nuanced I think 

This is the problem with a lot of teachers it's that they talk in absolutes cuz it garners clicks. It's usually some combination of both 

Edited by Jacob Morres

Passion is a product of the heart. You have to develop a relationship with something like a piano before loving it. Just raw dogging the piano without developing intimacy with it will only give you so much fun. 

Edited by StarStruck

22 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

That's the proper order.

haha ^_^ what do you know, you only got one perspective anyway 

softly into the Abyss...

57 minutes ago, Intraplanetary said:

kiss my sweet @ss :P you know nothing 

You come from a dogmatic point of view of what's worthy for humanity. There are many people whose work was discovered decades or centuries later and only then inspired other people. Even the definition of "contribution" and  "service" is instrumental in nature. A Van Gogh painting has zero direct value to blind people. What's good for some people is useless or even bad for others. 

Your utilitarian view on what people should seek is the root of many of our current problems. But you lack nuance and self-awareness to understand that value and sensemaking are collective human efforts and that the existence of both pragmatic people and idealistic ones is a feature of our species, exactly because we seek material survival.  

Your emotional response also contradicts your statement of emphasizing emotional control and rationally handling the world. But I guess is too lofty of me to expect people on internet forums not to be hypocrites. Grow up before talking to people in places where your views can be challenged because they're going to be. 

Passion is essential, but passion is a much deeper notion than feeling excited all day. And passion is not mutually exclusive with tedius grinding work.

If you are doing passionate work there will still be much grind and tedium. There's no way around that. Passion helps make it meaningful and helps you endure it. It's like having children: you love them but they will still annoy you many a day. And it's the love that makes enduring their crap worthwhile. Without the love there would be no point in dealing with all their crap.

Your life's work is almost the same as having a child. It's a non-biological child. So you better love it.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

17 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

If you notice my question to her about logic and reason and if that was her thinking style, but she didn't respond...maybe she didn't see it. I believe in what you're saying, also, didn't watch the RG video; but from what you're saying, he probably is coming from that style of thinking. 

I adapt my thinking style depending on the situation. I'm both emotional and logical. I can actually see that higher development lead to emotional non-attachment and higher intelligence from the mind. To rely heavily on your emotions is not the way. I'll discuss this in more depth in the future when I have more experience with it, but I can already see that rising above your emotions is what get us higher.

And here everyone talking about heavy reliance on emotions when choosing a life path. I'm not so sure, hence I discussed the alternatives. A person can choose a path from purely logical reason, get good at it and then get a feeling of true joy and satisfaction. It does not necessarily need to begin with a special emotion of passion in this case.

softly into the Abyss...

28 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Passion is essential

I'm still not convinced that it applies all the time nor that i can be proven. I keep an open mind on the matter instead.

Maybe a calling would be more accurate word to describe something that is like your fingerprint in this world which is also more rare thing to discover while passion is an emotion which is not entirely essential to make your life deeper or more profound and it can come and go. 

Edited by Intraplanetary

softly into the Abyss...

15 minutes ago, Intraplanetary said:

I adapt my thinking style depending on the situation. I'm both emotional and logical. I can actually see that higher development lead to emotional non-attachment and higher intelligence from the mind. To rely heavily on your emotions is not the way. I'll discuss this in more depth in the future when I have more experience with it, but I can already see that rising above your emotions is what get us higher.

And here everyone talking about heavy reliance on emotions when choosing a life path. I'm not so sure, hence I discussed the alternatives. A person can choose a path from purely logical reason, get good at it and then get a feeling of true joy and satisfaction. It does not necessarily need to begin with a special emotion of passion in this case.

"To rely heavily on your emotions is not the way" is a relative statement. It might work for others and not for some in relation to the topic. I think being equipped with both thinking styles is a way for the Universe to balance itself out. The yin yang. Masculine/ Feminine. Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on the circumstances like you mentioned above; but to say it's not the way is relativistic. I respect your view, tho, but personally I'm more drawn to do/complete something if I'm more passionate about it rather than doing it out of being good at it or for the betterment of society. 

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

12 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

"To rely heavily on your emotions is not the way" is a relative statement. It might work for others and not for some in relation to the topic. I think being equipped with both thinking styles is a way for the Universe to balance itself out. The yin yang. Masculine/ Feminine. Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on the circumstances like you mentioned above; but to say it's not the way is relativistic. I respect your view, tho, but personally I'm more drawn to do/complete something if I'm more passionate about it rather than doing it out of being good at it or for the betterment of society. 

Exactly, I can see your point of view, and there are so many other ones. And there is surely no one way fits all. We find what works for us personally.

And this thing about emotions.. I'm exploring and figuring this out. to rely heavily on emotions in general, there is something off about it.

Maybe when we'll be more advanced we get to pick and choose what emotions to feel rather then be affect by them randomly. 

Edited by Intraplanetary

softly into the Abyss...

1 minute ago, Intraplanetary said:

Exactly, I can see your point of view, and there are so many other ones. And there is surely no one way fits all or a proper order. We find what works for us personally.

And this thing about emotions.. I'm exploring and figuring this out to rely heavily on emotions in general there is something off about it. 

Emotions are very broad range. They can range anywhere between anger and rage to joy and happiness. When I speak about emotions in regards to what we're discussing here, I mean in an intuitive sense, what are we really feeling VS. how we think we should feel. Are we aware enough to discern between egoic emotions and  emotions that are trying to lead us in the right direction. E.g. we like doing something and enjoy it tremendously but the mind dissuade us from taking action because it starts to logically explain reasons why it won't work, and we ignore the quiet nudge from the intuitive part of our nature. Remember, consciousness is prior to reason and logic and we are being driven by something higher than our own sense of self which is only interested in surviving what it has conjured up to believe itself to be. 

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

1 hour ago, Princess Arabia said:

E.g. we like doing something and enjoy it tremendously but the mind dissuade us from taking action because it starts to logically explain reasons why it won't work

There are emotions first, and then thoughts. By letting go of emotion you automatically letting go of thought patterns and unconscious believes.

People have a lot of repressed emotions stored in their bodies which manifest in dysfunctional thought patterns and believes. In order to grow a person needs to let go of/remove emotions by first allowing them to surface and by feeling through them. In this way they are being transcended and the mental aspect then is also changed. This is how we go through the range of emotions and develop ourselves. The broader the range of the emotions we experience, the more emotionally intelligent we become. 

Now, moving forward, it is not only enough to feel emotions, the next step would be to consciously manage them which would require to rise above them and not be affected by them.

the quiet nudge from the intuitive part of our nature.

This quiet nudge can come through the mind as well, and not like an emotion. 

consciousness is prior to reason and logic

Consciousness is prior to emotion as well. Consciousness is the Mind, The Infinite Intelligence where logic and emotions are transcended.

Perhaps, there could be a state where we could consciously decide what to feel rather than be affected by emotions unconsciously as we are now, good or bad.

Edited by Intraplanetary

softly into the Abyss...

@Princess Arabia

3 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

If you notice my question to her about logic and reason and if that was her thinking style, but she didn't respond...maybe she didn't see it. I believe in what you're saying, also, didn't watch the RG video; but from what you're saying, he probably is coming from that style of thinking. 

OP is a she? Probably OP did read your post but chose not to respond for whatever reason.

I'm probably dealing with one of those logical types of personalities or something, maybe, I don't know. I just intuit that passion is a pretty important emotion, and the discovery of what makes a person passionate is where that person then can justify dedicating most of their free time into mastery and harder work and training into the field they discover is very interesting to them. The other way around is possible, but more difficult, and actually can trigger more tedious and boredom feelings much earlier, which, if the person has not enough will power or passion, cannot overcome and might just surrender to a more mediocre life. I just think that life is already difficult, or sometimes very difficult, so emotions are important, and discipline too, to get through life, and passion is several of those emotions that can fuel that drive.

@Intraplanetary

3 hours ago, Intraplanetary said:

haha ^_^ what do you know, you only got one perspective anyway 

What I know is that I have a heart, mind, soul, and know enough that finding your passion first is important, then it becomes easier to dedicate more time into honing your skills, because there's alignment with that passion, heart, mind and soul. I at least know my own perspective, but unfortunately your POV is strange to me, like why do you risk more boredom and tediousness by over committing into one craft too early, without knowing or feeling if this one area in life, in career, the skills, is actually making you happy and fulfilled in life? It's like you're a robot to me, on the other end of the spectrum.

I don't know, but you do you, maybe your mistakes are to MY advantage, and might benefit me in the long run, make my life much easier.? 

6 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Princess Arabia

OP is a she? Probably OP did read your post but chose not to respond for whatever reason.

I'm probably dealing with one of those logical types of personalities or something, maybe, I don't know. I just intuit that passion is a pretty important emotion, and the discovery of what makes a person passionate is where that person then can justify dedicating most of their free time into mastery and harder work and training into the field they discover is very interesting to them. The other way around is possible, but more difficult, and actually can trigger more tedious and boredom feelings much earlier, which, if the person has not enough will power or passion, cannot overcome and might just surrender to a more mediocre life. I just think that life is already difficult, or sometimes very difficult, so emotions are important, and discipline too, to get through life, and passion is several of those emotions that can fuel that drive.

I dunno, I went by the profile pic. 

6 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

One doesn't have to be developed in receiving divine power only aware of it. Your heart is beating, isn't it. You can move your hands can't you. Are you doing this. No. Its divine power. The energy that's flowing through you which is prior to biology. Think of it as a circuit breaker and a stroke is a malfunction in the circuit just like if you put too much power in a socket it might blow. Also if the nervous system isn't developed enough it cannot handle all of Sources' energy so it flows through you at a slower pace. This is why some cannot handle certain things in Spirituality because the nervous system is weak and can cause mental illness according to society's standards. The higher you upgrade your nervous system the more power you can handle and Source is aware of that, that's why we shouldn't force Spirituality on anyone because they might not be ready to handle whats ahead.

Great, now tell me what concepts are working to significantly overcome the barriers and challenges in your life. There are many imitations of Truth and one of the best ways to know is to use it to resolve the problems in your life. One of the best tests of the quality of Truth is how it improves your life. 

How useful is the Truth you recognize?

All that glitters is not gold.

Only when you have enough understanding in your human life and solved enough of its problems are you ready to take on the greater challenges on the road.

This is understanding. What is the devine power doing for you as a human?

An important task for discovering Truth is in the sorting. There is Truth for fantasizing and there is Truth for understanding and increasing your perception to see through the lies to know truth and know Freedom.

Both are powerful in different ways but they must be sorted.

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

17 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Great, now tell me what concepts are working to significantly overcome the barriers and challenges in your life. There are many imitations of Truth and one of the best ways to know is to use it to resolve the problems in your life. One of the best tests of the quality of Truth is how it improves your life. 

How useful is the Truth you recognize?

All that glitters is not gold.

Only when you have enough understanding in your human life and solved enough of its problems are you ready to take on the greater challenges on the road.

This is understanding. What is the devine power doing for you as a human?

The divine power is not doing anything for me, it is flowing through me. It is using me. I do not use it. There is no me. There is only Source. There are no problems. Only that which the mind creates and this can only be recognized at a certain level of consciousness. Once you take the ego out the picture and its illusory nature it becomes clear there is no doer. Once you get to a point in your life where you recognize you are being lived, you allow for that graciously; and,  even tho the ego will fight for its survival, there's a point where you stop putting up resistance to what is, and surrender to the natural flow of life. When you recognize there's always a so-called "problem" to solve you realize the ego was the common denominator. Take the ego out the equation there are no more problems. The ego is needed but only as a conduit for this divine energy which will get out the way for it to flow how nature intended it to. Am I fully there yet. No. The ego still gets in the way and the mind is so conditioned I have to recondition it to align with the frequency flow of this divine energy. Right now it isn't flowing the way it should but I'm trying to release more resistance the ego has built up. Its all energetic. My true nature is pure, fulfilled, perfect and complete, but , because i have identified with this body/mind for so long it's taking a while for me to get there, even tho time doesn't exist its something I'm imagining. This is the delusional dilemma I've put myself in as God. Lol

Despite reading the book by Cal Newport, I still know that passion is very important. Without it, you may not have the energy to push through certain obstacles. People also don't like to speak with someone who behaves like a zombie but prefer to talk to someone with more passion.

There's no doubt that discipline is also very important as well. So why can't you have both?

Edited by hyruga

I remember on a meditation retreat, a while ago ago, I was talking with a german woman who told me that word passion in german translates as suffering. Also, latin root 'pati/passio' means suffering too. Think about this.

Passion is too emotionally heavy and it's unstable. It's an attachment. It's too loaded and yes it's cringy. 

Passion can be felt for the good and bad, passion can be dark, and it can consume a person, and it's contagious. Many people said they like passionate people they're inspiring, etc, but passionate attitude can be used for the wrong things so don't assume that passion is always a good thing.

''Passion chokes the flower
Till she cries no more
Possesing all the beauty
Hungry still for more''

I believe that a calling or a unique signature would be more appropriate way at finding your true selves. We just don't have a collective level of consciousness yet nor the education system where this could be thought from an early age.

Remember this, there is something off with depending on emotions; and passion is one of them.

Edited by Intraplanetary

softly into the Abyss...

13 hours ago, Jacob Morres said:

It might be nuanced I think 

Yo -_-

softly into the Abyss...

From the Spiritual point of view on passion:

Dispassion: absence of passion, coolness, independence, freedom.

Edited by Intraplanetary

softly into the Abyss...