Michael569

Persistent Nightmares - Any tips?

29 posts in this topic

@Michael569 I think there is a treatment, in which she tries imagining the nightmare and then changing the outcome of it, and then keep repeating this multiple times a day until it is gone.

She also must learn to face her fears. She should do some Flooding therapy and desensitization.

I used to have bad dreams(nightmares is too much of a negative term) as well, a couple of years ago. Had them for a few months, then they disappeared. Possible cures/contributing factors towards cure-

• Eating light dinners, well before sleeping
  • Not drinking too much liquids before sleeping
  • Having a fixed sleep schedule, not sleeping during the day
  • Increasing sleep soundness and quality by exercising, etc.
  • Stress reduction
  • Anxiety elimination- this is very important. Any sort of anxiety disorder will directly impact sleep quality and can induce nightmares. 

On 15/06/2023 at 4:07 PM, Schizophonia said:

:ph34r:

Mostly :
-Meso RX
-Ray peat forum (especially the posts of some people like Haidut, Travis, RedSun...).
-And especially blogs and/or videos of personalities who seem relatively reliable to me (Denise Minger, Haidut, Danny Roddy, sometimes carnivores like Dr Chaffee, Dr Robert Kiltz, Dr Ken Berry, even Bart Kay even if he mostly spends his time to contradict vegans in an aggressive and sarcastic way lol).
I was also interested in certain vegans in terms of nutrition (McDougall, Dr Greger), but that did not interest me more than that because beyond my disagreement / my reproaches, they have above all an epidemiological approach and it does not interest me.

I don't know too many personalities for endocrinology except maybe Dr Rand Mcclain on youtube, none for psychiatry, most of the videos or blogs are of doctors or university professors, that's good but I don't retain their name ha ha.

I don't have a university education and my approach to these areas is more like collecting information here and there according to my concerns and my free time.
So I don't really have an endocrinology book (apart from perhaps Seignalet's book, if you are interested in immunology/allergenicity, nutrition, the relationship between the two and the chronic diseases that can result from it etc) or stuff like that to advise you which could alone give you serious bases in endocrinology, psychiatry or other, if that was what you asked for. :/

Exactly what I wanted. Thank you for your time, man. Very complete answer.

On 6/14/2023 at 10:50 AM, Michael569 said:

That's interesting. She does report having sleep paralysis quite a bit. Has anything helped with that while you were in the mids of it? Somehow I feel that her SSRIs might be making this worse but I can't prove it. 

Oh wow. Yes I can tell you what helped. Exactly when it cleared up completely happened to be while I was doing heavy metal detox with DMSA etc 6-8 or so years ago, so that may have helped as well, but I have a strong intuition it could have been coincidence and it was (primarily but perhaps expedited by a reduction in heavy metals / oxidation) brain damage that had run its course.

What helped:

Ensuring I got at least 6 hours of sleep a night (I wasn’t lifting weights at the time so I could get away with that little), going to bed and waking at roughly the same time. Really it barely helped though — it was severe. I was recovering from poly drug addiction — though I was clean; my best theory is that a quasi overdose knocked out some of my orexin neurons, leading effectively to pseudo-narcolepsy. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy.

Later on, when it was pretty much in remission (at least enough for me to no longer be terrified to go to sleep) but it would still happen some nights, I in fact went on SNRI’s and they in fact helped, but when I stopped taking them, I had a month of wicked sleep paralysis and hallucinations almost as bad as it was years prior when it was happening severely all the time.

Edited by The0Self

If I get cold during sleep (e.g sleeping without a blanket in a cold room) I'm almost guaranteed to have a nightmare.

Dreams on the other hand, are some of the most creative and happiest places I've been to all my life. Just sayin' 

Edited by MarkKol

Just believe in God and place a Bible beside your bed when you sleep. Then you realise whatever sleep paralysis you may have is due to lack of air ventilation in the room or bad health.

Edited by hyruga

Thank you guys for all the advice! I've made a lot of notes. Let's see what happens a month from now on our next catch up :)

Cheers! 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

If I eat cheese before bed, I get vivid dreams and nightmares.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.