Being a Man - Daniel Schmachtenberger

98 posts in this topic

This is powerful.

What Daniel Schmachtenberger learned from his father about being a man:

https://civilizationemerging.com/what-i-learned-about-being-a-man-from-my-dad/

PRINCIPLES

Work, Integrity, Motivation, Capacity:

• “See the job, do the job, stay out of the misery.”
  • If a job needs doing, simply do it. No need to bemoan it, wish it wasn’t so, etc. All the suffering is optional.
  • If a job is worth doing, it’s worth doing well.
  • Excellence is its own reward.
  • Do the right thing when nobody’s watching.
  • When running wire or pipe through the studs, he would make it beautiful before putting the drywall on. No one would ever see it. But he knew. Doing the best you can everywhere consistently affects you as a being.
  • Get the big picture first. Then plan the work. Then implement.
  • When we would get to a worksite, or before cleaning something, he would put a ladder in the middle of the space, have me stand on the top, and turn slowly taking in the whole picture, and making a map in my head of where everything was, where it should be, what I would do first, etc.
  • ‘How much weight can you lift?’ However much needs lifted. If you ask if you can do it, you might find the answer is no. If its important, just do it.
  • If you’re leading a team and anyone fails, you’re responsible.
  • The leader takes responsibility for the project. And for its failures. The whole team participates in the credit of the successes.
  • The captain gets off of the boat last.
  • Do the initial work for free. Under promise and over deliver. Then sell the benefits of the competition/ alternatives.
  • Responsibility is king. If I have the ability to respond, it’s mine to do.
  • When you accomplish something significant, dont make a big deal out of it. Help others learn to do it.
  • Master the principle of leverage and apply it everywhere. Physically and metaphysically.
  • Learn how to use and make tools. Treat tools as extensions of yourself, which they are.
  • You can generally accomplish more from behind the scenes, when people don’t know what you are doing.
  • Leave every place and situation better than you found it.
  • Orderliness is a quality of the unified field itself. Create order in any environment first.

Courage, Power, and Conflict:

• If you ever start a fight, Ill kick your ass. If someone is being hurt and you don’t protect them, Ill kick your ass.
  • The side of right always wins. Be on the side of right and don’t worry about the odds.
  • Don’t let fear of pain or death keep you from doing the right thing.
  • Most of the atrocities in the world have been committed by men.
  • Power must be in the service of all.
  • Abuse of power is the greatest crime.
  • If someone is abusing power, over-power them. Do not allow bullies.
  • If everyone is running away from something, run towards it. If there is a real threat, someone needs to go deal with it.
  • Let them throw the first punch. If they go for a second, do what you need to stop the violence. If you let it get to blows, you already failed.
  • Use the minimum amount of force necessary to stop harm. Sometimes overwhelming force is necessary. Project force if needed to avoid violence.
  • Protect everyone from unnecessary pain wherever you can.
  • When there was a mortally wounded animal, he would kill it rather than let it suffer. He would also do so where no one else needed to know about it. At a certain point, I went from one of the people he was protecting to learning how to kill painlessly, bury, share only what was needed, etc.
  • Be a protector and support to everyone. Walk on the outside of the street with everyone. Open everyone’s door. Be available to help anyone.

Relating to Women:

• The highest value for men is serving women, nature, and children (future generations).
  • Worshiping at the altar – how to relate to going down on a woman.
  • Being in love is a choice. Choose it and cultivate it.
  • Don’t be controlled by attraction. There are many good reasons to be intimate with someone, only some of which involve attraction.
  • Don’t hurt women.
  • Never push for sex. Let her pursue.
  • If my boss or mentor call, tell them I’m sleeping. If your mom calls, wake me up.

Mind, Education, Psyche:

• The world is mostly crazy. Rethink everything for yourself from scratch.
  • Traditional education and hyperspecialization is a way to make people subservient to the dominant paradigm/ system. Study the generalized principles of nature and be a deep generalist.
  • If you don’t like the fact that the sky is blue, change your mind. Indulging suffering is a choice.
  • Be careful, cautious, and conscious. But not scared. Careful is different than fearful.
  • Jealousy is a type of mental illness – rid yourself of it.
  • When reading, look up every word and concept you don’t know.
  • What is real and what is obvious are usually not the same. See past the obvious to the real.
  • This too shall pass.
  • No one can actually own part of a celestial orb. Ownership is an illusion.
  • “All that I have done, you shall do and greater as well.” Be what the world needs.
  • Be cautious of ambition, it is generally selfish and misguided.
  • Wholeness is the most important word. Then integrity.
  • I am. Any other words that follow are not fully true. Don’t identify with them.

Relating to People and the World:

• Win-lose mentality is evil. Don’t ever celebrate people’s losses. Always celebrate their wins.
  • Respect wisdom, not authority.
  • I want you to surpass me in every way. And you will. That is evolution. And you will treat those you support the same way.
  • Spend time listening to old people. They are unique living libraries.
  • Spend time listening to kids – they are further ahead in evolutionary time.
  • Forgive people and help them do better.
  • Don’t trust experts (mechanics, doctors, etc.) with vested interests. Learn the topic well enough to understand and check what they are saying.
  • Service is the most fun hobby.
  • Sunday mornings we would load the truck with mechanic tools and drive around finding people who were broken down (before cell phones) and fix their cars for them. Such a fun thing to do on a day off.
  • Always tend to the animals first.
  • Study the map of any new place you go. Always know how to navigate.
  • Anticipate emergencies in new environments and create response plans. 
  • Be generous with everything you have: knowledge, money, resources, affection, etc.
  • If either of us die, we know that we love each other, death doesn’t end love, and any issue is meaningless and already forgiven.
  • He talked with me about this a number of times. So I knew that if he died and our last conversation was an argument, it didn’t matter at all and only love remained.
Edited by CARDOZZO

That's what wisdom looks like.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I agree that this is really powerful, yet not knowing how to become like this, at least for me, is painful, you know how should a man be, but you will always fall below this standard. 

I really have a problem with setting too high standards for everything, but I think just doing consciousness work, working for your life purpose and other stuff, you will naturally become like this. 

@CARDOZZO Great share, thank you.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@Leo Gura When you read it, you know it's gold.

I was listening to a podcast where he shares his perspectives on spirituality, polymaths, education and so on...

I think it's one of his best interviews ever made:

@Ayham

You should experiment. 

Just reading it will increase your level of consciousness.

No worries, you'll be fine.

Where can I find more content like this?

This reminds me of Leos videos like:
How to fall in love with life
What is Wisdom/ Integrity 
Holism & Holistic Thinking.

And Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

If I could find some books with this Wholesome and sober vibe I would be so happy.
Maybe I should look into the ancient Greeks and stoics more.
-----
Also, make sure to check out his entire blog and booklist. :)
Here Is a great blog post on life purpose https://civilizationemerging.com/dharma-inquiry/

Edited by TheNovice

@Cireeric If you have other sources of yellow/turquoise stage perspectives, please share :D 

Edited by CARDOZZO

33 minutes ago, CARDOZZO said:

@Cireeric If you have other sources of yellow/turquoise stage perspectives, please share :D 

What I found very interesting recently is the Metapsychology 4 parts Series from Zak Stein on The Stoa:

Found some very good insights especially in the Q&A parts.

Also a very good ressource with almost no attention is the Neurohacker Podcast, there are many great guests. Especially the episodes interviewed by Daniel Schmachtenberger or Jamie Wheal are very interesting: https://neurohacker.com/collective_insights_podcast

Very clear, easy and practical tips for handling your own mind and wellbeing: 

They have a lot of good videos and you get their frameworks and concepts deeper and see them integrating into your own understanding of yourself and others with watching their content regularly over time.

Also what I still have to read but whats very exciting, that might interest you is this Paper: https://www.officeforthefuture.com/sites/officeforthefuture/files/files/2023 05 17 - First Principles and first values of evolving perennialism_1.pdf 

Edited by Cireeric

Yeah, it's hard to live up to all that.

Daniel had a very unique upbringing. Most people haven't and it's hard to unwire bad early habits.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Ayham Self-Love.

A human who can understand how to find satisfaction inside the process of BEING and BECOMING is a genius.

I'm trying to find that spot.

leo when you talk about alien consciousness. are you talking about the consciousness of an actual alien, like becoming conscious of an alien's perspective ? 

14 hours ago, CARDOZZO said:

When there was a mortally wounded animal, he would kill it rather than let it suffer. He would also do so where no one else needed to know about it. At a certain point, I went from one of the people he was protecting to learning how to kill painlessly, bury, share only what was needed, etc.

I love this point somehow for engaging with the more animalistic side of human kind, I had a couple of these insight raw on LSD, I also get goosebumps everytime considering this in a movie and or video game and I feel oddly that this would be great honor... I saw a injured crow last week, I thought about calling my aunt as she knows how to take care. Things that are for me full spiral are Huberman and Lex Fridman podcasts. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICj8p5jPd3Y

I loved this one, I really hope that the psychdelic renaissance happens a bit faster. 

I hope stage green finally grows up. Pun intended.

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Daniel had a very unique upbringing.

Exactly...

Basically he was raised to be a polymath/genius.

We should talk more about parenting in the forum.

The beauty is that if we develop ourselves at higher stages of consciousness and embody/live that... our kids will be fine.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Yeah, it's hard to live up to all that.

Daniel had a very unique upbringing. Most people haven't and it's hard to unwire bad early habits.

1 minute ago, CARDOZZO said:

Basically he was raised to be a polymath/genius.

Do you have some links/video where I can listen some more about Daniel's upbringing?

Edited by Arthogaan

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.