Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Majed

understanding atheism

14 posts in this topic

i want you guys to share steel man depictions of atheism by your favorite atheists thinkers. we're taking a tier 2 approach of understanding perspectives without subscribing to them. 

Why do atheists exist? How can they solve the infinite regress problem of life? Why do they think that the supernatural is nonsense? I cannot see atoms, could I say the same thing about the supernatural? Why do they think that everything needs to be proven?

The concept of God may have been useful in archaic times to give people a sense of purpose and to create social order - but think about all the wars that have been waged in the name of God...

Also, why speculate about God, when there are so many immediate problems in this world, that we can actually come to understand and fix - using the power of technology.

I'm agnostic as to whether God exists or not - but if you claim God exists, you have to prove it somehow; otherwise that's just fundamentalism -- and think about all the wars...

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Atheism is stupidity.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

23 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

I'm agnostic as to whether God exists or not - but if you claim God exists, you have to prove it somehow; otherwise that's just fundamentalism -- and think about all the wars...

@Nilsi I mean, I can still take the claim about the existence of God lightly. I can still strongly believe that God exists, but HOW exactly God should be would be fundamentalism. Plus, my beliefs are useless when it comes to true knowing and with raising my consciousness.

14 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Atheism is stupidity.

@Leo Gura I would agree but a transition out of fundamentalism through atheism might still be necessary for some people but it might have something to do with their intelligence, no offesne to what Nilsi said if he meant that it's not, he might have some valid points.

Edited by AndylizedAAY

@Majed My favorite atheist thinkers are GM Skeptic and Cosmic Skeptic only because one of them started my questioning of my religion and the other because of strong points but I find their work stupid compared to this. I don't really think that memorizing what atheists say will help you against fundamentalists, you can just be more aware without having to rationalize it to yourself.

8 minutes ago, AndylizedAAY said:

@Nilsi I mean, I can still take the claim about the existence of God lightly. I can still strongly believe that God exists, but HOW exactly God should be would be fundamentalism. Plus, my beliefs are useless when it comes to true knowing and with raising my consciousness.

Please don't make me argue my ironic atheist perspective any further.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Nilsi I never asked to argue with you, why are you here then if you want to stick with your ironic atheist perspective?

2 minutes ago, AndylizedAAY said:

@Nilsi I never asked to argue with you, why are you here then if you want to stick with your ironic atheist perspective?

Not sure at what point this communication failed, but we're definitely talking past each other lol.

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Atheism is stupidity.

Obviously a tier 3 take here 

With Atheism we would lost so much like this here:

Edited by Epikur

I have had a few friends who were atheists. I never really argued with them and instead preferred to listen to their perspective. Given the most charitable view of atheism, I would say it is simply a reaction to the dogmatism of religion.

My friend Noah hated his name. He was raised in a close-minded family that made him go to Sunday school and they were very controlling. Atheism is an expression of the frustration people especially if they are rebelling against their parents who want you to agree with them on everything. Atheism is deeply emotional and circumstantial.

Atheism is a simple consequence of basic skepticism. The church commonly condemns skepticism because it undermines the Christian ideology. Atheists want to have the freedom to be who they want to be and they are frustrated with the indoctrination that is pushed under the guise of religious freedom while actively undermining it.

Some atheists are open to spiral dynamics and I have used it to explain that there are more developed forms of spirituality than what their parents taught them. Because many atheists are ignorant of these different levels of development, they are prone to the pre-trans fallacy. Instead they see the excesses of religion and they are unable to see a higher level of development than what they are currently at.

Atheists are almost universally skeptical of the fairy tales in religious texts. They question every little issue and throw the baby out with the bath water because they are resisting religious dogmatism. God is commonly compared to Santa Claus.

Noah's brother forced himself not to masturbate because he thought it was a sin. Atheists are skeptical of religious morality because it is obvious to them that humans are inventing morality.

From my point of view atheism is a logically flawed ideology because it makes no sense to assert that there is no God when you haven't explored the entire universe. I have felt that the agnostic perspective was the most open, humble, and wise since I was a child. It seems to me that "I don't know" should be the default position of any existential investigation and then you seek the truth , what ever it may be.

Simply put, atheism is a reaction to religious dogmatism and depending on your life circumstances, it is easy to create an entire identity around the pseudo rational belief that there is no God.

@Majed

On 3/24/2023 at 5:46 PM, Majed said:

i want you guys to share steel man depictions of atheism by your favorite atheists thinkers. we're taking a tier 2 approach of understanding perspectives without subscribing to them. 

Basically the atheist is opposite to the beliefs of the theists, atheists don't believe in a GOD or deities. Atheists believe in a non-belief of GOD and other deities. I have nothing nice to say about atheists as atheists are as bad as the religious fundamentalists they demonize.