Carl-Richard

Mindfulness and physical activity — I need your help

17 posts in this topic

So I was coming up on a bachelor thesis in psychology, and I figured this was a viable option for a thesis: what is the relationship between mindfulness and physical activity? I looked up the relevant scientific research and was surprised to find a substantial amount of studies on the topic, but the research is still very new, a little more than a decade old. More research is needed, and my thesis will be an original (but small) contribution to that.

I've now come to the point of having to collect data, and this community, among others, is a very good candidate for this type of study (everybody here is, if not directly interested in mindfulness, at least acquainted with the concept, and even if that is not true, you do share similar beliefs, values and interests).

That is why I'm very thankful for the opportunity to share this with you guys, and I hope that you also appreciate the opportunity of contributing to my little contribution to scientific research on a topic that we all value very much and has changed our lives for the better.

The survey is short and simple and only takes about 5 minutes to complete. It's completely anonymous and completely voluntary (nothing bad will happen to you if you choose to not participate), but again, I would highly appreciate your contribution. I would also appreciate if you could share the survey with other people you know who are also interested in mindfulness and self-improvement. The more the better :)

Here is the link to the survey: https://nettskjema.no/a/311732

Thank you for participating! :)

(For the people who are unsure if this is against the guidelines, I believe one thread like this is fine, and so did other moderators in the past.)

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

No worries, help is on the way! The survey seems kind of complicated though.

2 minutes ago, AndylizedAAY said:

No worries, help is on the way! The survey seems kind of complicated though.

Ah. What did you think was complicated about it? The one about how often you exercise?

As a Qigong teacher I approve this thesis 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

9 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

As a Qigong teacher I approve this thesis 

Haha great :D 

1 hour ago, Michal__ said:

Just completed it.

Thank you :) 

Gotchu. Cool project, two of the things I really enjoy.

You’ve got my survey entry!

Also, love how your email is hotmail, haha

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

21 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

You’ve got my survey entry!

Also, love how your email is hotmail, haha

I'm oldschool :> It was my girlfriend in middle school who made it back in the MSN messenger days lmao

Edited by Carl-Richard

It's not even been 24 hours and I have 58 entries ? I think most of those are from the various spiritual reddits I posted in. This can be really good :D

Btw if you guys want to use exercise to increase mindfulness / maybe even get into altered state you should try high rep squats (100 reps). 

Or you could use rest pause (a long set where you are allowed to pause for 5 - 10 seconds) and increase weight every time you hit 100 reps.

That will basically force you to observe your emotions / thoughts and realize that they are different than the movement itself and can have the same effect as strong determination sits except faster. Combined with mindful stretching afterwads it should be at least as good as yoga.

Edited by Michal__

@Carl-Richard I did the survey and found the question about remembering people's names interesting. Is it used as a measurement on consciousness? I wonder if it really is a good measurement.

8 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

@Carl-Richard I did the survey and found the question about remembering people's names interesting. Is it used as a measurement on consciousness? I wonder if it really is a good measurement.

Haha I also questioned that one. I forget people's names all the time. There are many components to remembering somebody's name, but how preoccupied your mind is when you're being introduced to someone could certainly play a role. 

I would prefer to not discuss the particular survey items too much though. It has the potential to impact the validity of the results if people read the discussion before taking the survey.

34 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Haha I also questioned that one. I forget people's names all the time. There are many components to remembering somebody's name, but how preoccupied your mind is when you're being introduced to someone could certainly play a role. 

I would prefer to not discuss the particular survey items too much though. It has the potential to impact the validity of the results if people read the discussion before taking the survey.

Yep certainly could be an indicator. Fair enough I'll shut it then. ?

7 hours ago, Michal__ said:

Btw if you guys want to use exercise to increase mindfulness / maybe even get into altered state you should try high rep squats (100 reps). 

Or you could use rest pause (a long set where you are allowed to pause for 5 - 10 seconds) and increase weight every time you hit 100 reps.

That will basically force you to observe your emotions / thoughts and realize that they are different than the movement itself and can have the same effect as strong determination sits except faster. Combined with mindful stretching afterwads it should be at least as good as yoga.

Depending on the load you use, this would be absolutely brutal and practically guaranteed to give some mindfulness increases in the short term. I like powerlifting style training more, and doing sets of 4-6 at 85-90% of your one rep max is also a viable option for increasing mindfulness. An all out set on squats is almost always a spiritual experience for me lol

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

I'm close to 300 participants already, so I'll close this xD