Guest username

How Can You Do Consciousness Work In Your Sleep?

11 posts in this topic

I've heard this is possible, but I have no idea how to do this.

Sure you can. Learn to lucid dream and use it work on various aspects of yourself.

Don't expect it to be easy.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I like meditating when I'm tired, I get this wash of energy in my head as I'm drifting into the dream world and its so lucid. Because I'm meditating I usually drift back into waking state pretty quickly with complete recall of the dreams. I cant really answer your question but I think with practice your dreams can be lucid enough to start to play with them which ever way you want.

You can stay in a mindful meditative state during light sleep.  It's hard to do.  You have to be highly motivated and train yourself to do it.  

Dreams!

Your dreams are gateways to your unconscious. By studying your dreams, you can find out really just what is going on in there.

For instance, I've had a reoccurring theme in my dreams where I get so close to success, but then somehow, someway, I just can't cross the finish line.

It's like it's right there. But then I get in a loop where everything and anything suddenly seems to stop me.

So what does that mean? Well, it means that unconsciously I may still have some blocks to success. Some buried part of feels like I'm just not good enough to make it.

So I bring awareness to it and start to look out for thoughts and actions that may be manifestations of this unconscious belief.

The great news is you get more data almost every night you dream. So it's like a free coach every night.

Also, you can sent your intention before you sleep for answers you may be looking for. Sometimes the answer will play out in your dreams.

@username hello !

1) Look at the thread @Toby has posted

2) https://www.upaya.org/2010/03/lucid-dreaming-and-dream-yoga-part-1-of-13/

Listen and apply diligently the principles of this recorded retreat based on lucid dreaming and dream yoga.

3) truly to be aware of all the thoughts that arise during the day

4)meditate before going to bed, then take 10 minutes to se the intention to have lucid dreams and sleep before falling asleep

5) books worth checking out  : 

-Dreaming yourself awake(...) by Alan Wallace

-Tibetan yogas of dream and sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

6) Good luck :)

If given the gift of enlightenment whatever tf YOU are will naturally go into deep enlightenment during sleep only to wake up and wonder how tf your mind just did that while asleep without any control by "you" your body just did it on its own and you will probably be confused to wake up and find your still enlightened and how you deserve this. I run to the mirror wondering what occurred only to find sleep changed me for the better but it wasn't me I was sleeping .. who was it ? Who cares .. im beautiful. 

8 hours ago, username said:

I've heard this is possible, but I have no idea how to do this.

1. Start with the daytime. With the first ray of consciousness as you wake up in the morning, start the experiment. After a thousand attempts, perhaps one may succeed but even if one attempt is successful you will realize that the thousands of attempts were worthwhile. If even for a moment, you came to experience that he who walks is not you but he who is unmoving is you; he who is full of desires is not you, but that he who is forever desireless is you; that that which is perishable is not you, but the fountain of eternal nectar is you. 

Start with the daytime, and gradually you will succeed in carrying it through into your sleep. Gurdjieff used to teach his disciples to practice awareness during the daytime, and then he would tell them that just before going to bed they must remember: ”This is a dream.” You are still awake. There is no dream yet, but you have to keep repeating to yourself: ”Everything I see is a dream.” Touch the bed and intensify the feeling: ”Whatever I touch is a dream.” Touch one hand with the other, and experience: ”All that I touch is a dream.” You go to sleep sinking deep into this feeling. There will be a constant stream of feeling moving inside.

After a few days you will find that in the middle of a dream you will suddenly become aware that it is a dream. As soon as you remember that it is a dream, the dream breaks, because the dream works only in the absence of consciousness. Then you will be filled with bliss such as you have never known before.

2.Shankara’s Vedanta propounds the concept that the universe is an illusion. This philosophy is an experiment of the same kind.

The seeker has to remember constantly that whatever is happening is a dream. While getting up in the morning, walking on the road, in the midst of the marketplace, he has to remember: ”Everything is a dream.” Why? Because this is the method. It is a process. If you experiment constantly for eight hours, this remembrance will penetrate so deeply that you will remember it even in the middle of the dream; you will remember that it is a dream.

At present you are unable to remember. Actually, you are doing it even now – but in the reverse order. All your waking hours you feel and understand that whatever you see is real. And that is why dreams seem real at night, because the feeling is very strong. 

What can be more false than dreams? How many times on waking up have you realized their falsity, their uselessness? Yet every night you make the same mistake. Why? There must be a very deep reason behind this folly. The reason is: in your waking state you take everything to be true. If you take everything you see to be real, then how can the dreams you see at night appear to be illusory? You take them to be real.

The maya experiment is just the opposite. Whatever you see during the day, you remember that this is unreal. You forget again and again, but once again you pull yourself together. You remind yourself that everything you see is nothing but a huge drama in which you are only a spectator. You are not the actor, not the doer, but only a witness.

If you nurture this feeling, it becomes a constant flow within. Finally the dream disappears in the night, and this is a great attainment. If the dream is shattered, you are ready to take the third step. If the dream is shattered, you can take the third step of retaining consciousness in deep sleep. But right now this is difficult for you. It is not possible to do it all at once; you must proceed step by step.

3. While walking along the road, stop! Become the observer: realize that it is the body walking and you are merely an observer. While eating, stop! Become the observer. The body eats. You are merely observing. While attending to the customers in your shop, stop! Become the observer. Do not get so engrossed as to forget the observer. Take hold of yourself time and again. It will require a continuous effort. You will find, by and by, that the effort becomes easier day by day; now and again you will get flashes of 'pure consciousness'.

When 'pure consciousness' comes easily in the daytime you can gradually utilize it in your dreams. Then when you are about to fall asleep let the last thought in your mind be: ”I am the observer”. As sleep overcomes you let this thought reverberate in your mind: ”I am the witness, I am the witness...” And thus you fall asleep. You will not be able to catch the moment when sleep comes and the repetition stops. If you cultivate the feeling till you fall asleep the feeling will continue into sleep, for it is only the body that sleeps. As you cultivate this feeling more and more, one night you will suddenly become conscious of the observer in your sleep. And as soon as you become aware of the observer a rare thing happens – dreams vanish. Dreams occur only because of your unconsciousness.

Now nothing and nobody can make you unaware, unconscious. He who awakens even for a moment in his sleep, his unawareness is gone forever.

The day you awaken in your sleep you become a yogi. You cannot become a yogi by performing asanas. These are merely exercises. They are good and useful to keep the body healthy, but if you take them to be the true yoga then you are deluded. Yoga means: the art of awakening in sleep. Thus he who awakens is a yogi.

You want to do conscious work during slep? Learn to practice lucid dreaming and then go a step further: do astral projection. You can use lucid dreaming to start an astal projection.