Ulax

Journalling query

13 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Was wondering if folks had any tips regarding effective journaling?

i want to use it to process events from my past. Any perspectives and tips on this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

@Ulax here are some thoughts that come to mind.

When you re-live an event in your memory, the event always gets transformed in some way. For effective journaling, there are two parts to it.

The first part is accurately and fully describing the event, especially focusing on capturing the emotional aspects of it. Just the act of recall and writing things down in detail, can make you consider things differently. This can start to loosen the emotional hold the event has over you.

The second part is to step back from the event, and describe what the motivations were of the people involved, why did they do what they did? But also describe your feelings in detail. And to finish off, write down what you wished would have happened instead had you been able to affect things: what would you have said to those people?

The idea here is to fully immerse yourself in the event, describe it, and deconstruct it, then reconstruct it in a more positive way.

Often when recalling negative past events, we get stuck in a vicious cycle of reinforcing the negativity. We feel the emotional pain, but we don't deconstruct or re-contextualise what happened.

Here's a hypothetical example of a journal entry I would make (it didn't actually happen):

"I broke my leg when I was seven years old. I had been playing piggy back and fell on concrete. The pain was horrible and my friends ran away, because they didn't know what to do. I felt abandoned by my friends. Even when my Mum came to help me, all she could do was shout at me for being stupid. I was in the hospital for what seemed like eternity and I couldn't play and see my friends, I felt so lonely. Even after when I was on crutches I had to stay mostly indoors because I couldn't move very much. But all my friends came round and wrote their names on my plaster cast. Sleeping was painful and uncomfortable, and nobody seemed to ask me how I was feeling or care about my pain. Even after I got better, some of my old friends had moved on, and I felt betrayed by them." and so on, feel into it.

That's my thoughts!

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

Regarding effective journaling, below is what worked for me that lead to unpacking my past,

1. Reflection -- Reflect on what happened today, the day before or in the past. There are no rules here. By reflecting on a conversation or a situation you can begin to unpack what happened, what went right/wrong, what was the lesson, how can I have done it differently. Once you unpack events, you'll begin to uncover areas in your life that explains why you are the way you are, your behaviors and habits. 

2. Gratitude -- This will train the mind to look for what is going right, which leads to being grateful. No matter what is happening around you or what life is throwing at you, it's all about perspectives. Your brain has its own algorithm. Focusing on the good trains it to look at things differently. From a growth standpoint, you will start to see opportunities in situations, people and life.

3. Goals -- Allow yourself to dream with the lid off. Your goals may start out very big but then evolve to narrow realistic goals. Don't force it, it will happen naturally. This will lead to practical actionable steps to achieve a version of those goals.

My order changed from when I first started. Journaling was transformative in my journey to self discovery leading to self improvement. Unpacking your past will explain a lot of who you are and your behavioral habits.

There is an exercise I recently heard from Erick Godsey (pod https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/cultivating-your-life-force/id1455569633?i=1000588300770  @53:50), but haven't tried it yet. Not sure it's what you're looking for, I'll just leave it here:

Basically, it's about writing down stories in your past in which you felt shame. Write a bullet list of stories, then choose one to go deep into and write that story out. At the end, apologize to those involved for what you've done, apologize to your younger self for what you've done to yourself, and make sure you accept your own apology. You want to feel the energy that was stuck with that shame free up. 

@Ulax There are books out there that guide you through powerful journaling to process past events 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art Any particular recommendations?

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

@Ulax

Start with an entrance meditation.

Date every entry.

Keep (and re-read) what you write.

Write quickly.

Start writing; keep writing.

Tell yourself the truth.

Write naturally.

@Ulax I recommend spending an hour or two on Amazon, searching around. 

What are you reflecting on? Many of the self help books have journaling practices in it. If I knew a bit about the context even if just the surface maybe I can recommend something. I’ve scoured around. 

You can either go a guided approach, or a free flowing approach or a combo of the two. 

◭"89"

@Ulax

Write from the heart.  Don't be afraid to mess up, be cringy or odd.  Sometimes the gold is tossed up from the muck and dirt of the psyche.  Continue steadfast, in the raw expression of yourself and your past.  Even if you want to burn it all to the ground.  There is much gold to be found in the muck and you'll thank yourself later for the clarity you've found and the ground you've made.  

Edited by Kore

I gots a whole video on it. :ph34r:

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Ulax

I just pick a topic and then write my stream of thought down unedited for as long as I can. Set a timer. Just write and occasionally read back over and ask yourself questions. Imagine if you were a reader and wanted to understand what’s being talked about more, what questions would you ask to get a true understanding of the topic. It takes a lot of work but that’s my method when I can be bothered with it.

Loving What Is - Byron Katie might be good. I just started iso I can’t say much. 

I really encourage you to simply go on Amazon and type key words and find books and resources. Your journaling sort of has to be personal to you. 

Asking powerful questions, allowing thoughts and feelings to flow, working for the truth, etc

I am more focused on Qigong right now but have many notes around powerful journaling. But, I have to sit down and work that stuff out again  and review it. 

◭"89"