LowPlanetary

"attatchment Is The Cause Of All Suffering"

28 posts in this topic

So if attachment = suffering. Does detachment = bliss? Which means satisfaction with the present moment?

Also how do i detach myself from everything? Is that just the process of enlightenment? Is that meditation? Not too sure.

39 minutes ago, LowPlanetary said:

Does detachment = bliss?

It sure sounds like it, even reading it was blissful LOL 

Detachement simply means that you enjoy things as they arise, for what they are, without expectation.

When you don't have any expectation, there is no suffering in the sense that you don't cling to anything, you don't need anything for you to be happy ("negative" emotions will still occur though)

In my experience, I already can be pretty detached from a lot of things, I guess the only reason I'm still attached to some things is because I didn't adress the psychological root cause, not because I'm not enlightened (even though I don't have any exemple in mind, there probably is).

Now to be detached to the extreme (your own death, torture, rape etc), yes, enlightenement is necessary, you most surely can't be detached from those kind of things if you still think that you are the body/mind.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Ah i see so for someone to have 0 attachments they also can't be attached to the idea of happiness and suffering. They have to be comfortable abstaining from happiness and from suffering, therefore meaning that they don't actually gain happiness thus meaning they don't go into a blissful state, more like a peace of mind. Not excited by things, they just let it be. 

So really what i should be aiming for is a peace of mind, not happiness. Since happiness is both out of my control and consistent happiness is not possible. They key is to just be satisfied without any of it. 

I know this is a classic question but what is there after that? You become detached from things and then doesn't that mean you just float in space? There is literally no reason to do anything from that standpoint. There is nothing to gain and nothing to protect, so why act? The promise of gain and the potential of loss the core of all motivation, right? 

46 minutes ago, LowPlanetary said:

I know this is a classic question but what is there after that? You become detached from things and then doesn't that mean you just float in space? There is literally no reason to do anything from that standpoint. There is nothing to gain and nothing to protect, so why act? The promise of gain and the potential of loss the core of all motivation, right? 

When you play a game and you take it too seriously, it sucks right ?

Now imagine playing the game with cool people you choose to play with, just for fun.

Imagine that you play that game, not just randomly, but with a career that has a deep meaning for you, which litterally gives you goosebumps just by thinking about it, and imagine that everyone that is close to you, understand perfectly why and how it feels to do what you do.

In the game, you are totally conscious of every flaws your character has, and how you can better it to experience all facets of what the game has to offer, because you know that the game has such a variety of activities, that it feels infinite, which it is.

Also imagine that you can litterally see yourself in every part of the game, that everywhere you look, you see your reflection, playing an another part of the game, and whatever this part is doing, you're cool with it.

Wouldn't be fun ?

Wouldn't be PROFOUND ?

Wouldn't be MAGICAL ?

#CopyrightisdeadyoumadleoKappa

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

25 minutes ago, LowPlanetary said:

therefore meaning that they don't actually gain happiness thus meaning they don't go into a blissful state

Where to people get this idea of 'bliss' from?

Happiness is not bliss, or excitement, or stimulation or any elevated positive mood. Happiness = peace of mind. It's not a mood, or an emotion.

Therefore, yes, happiness is gained from detachment,

28 minutes ago, LowPlanetary said:

So really what i should be aiming for is a peace of mind, not happiness.

Yes, precisely. They are the same thing.

There really needs to be some clarification of what we are trying to acheive through personal development. The term 'happiness' is too often misused and misunderstood, and confused for 'bliss'. I see this time and again.

Only an ego needs to look for 'bliss'.

Bliss = a happy ego.

Peace of mind = ego is irrelevent.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

1 minute ago, FindingPeace said:

Where to people get this idea of 'bliss' from?

Happiness is not bliss, or excitement, or stimulation or any elevated positive mood. Happiness = peace of mind. It's not a mood, or an emotion.

Therefore, yes, happiness is gained from detachment,

Yes, precisely. They are the same thing.

There really needs to be some clarification of what we are trying to acheive through personal development. The term 'happiness' is too often misused and misunderstood, and confused for 'bliss'. I see this time and again.

Only an ego needs to look for 'bliss'.

Bliss = a happy ego.

Peace of mind = ego is irrelevent.

But you can't deny that you often laugh for nothing and have fun with basically nothing.

Yes it is not constant excitement like getting to know your new girlfriend/boyfriend, or when you take some lsd, but it's pretty fucking fun :)

God is love

And God in them

4 minutes ago, Shin said:

When you play a game and you take it too seriously, it sucks right ?

Now imagine playing the game with cool people you choose to play with, just for fun.

Ah ok, now i think i understand. So when i play a game too seriously, i lose things and feel bad, and when i gain things i feel good but want more. When i play a game for fun and i lose things i laugh and when i gain things i laugh and feel good. I think i see now.

Sorry if i'm asking too many questions but i feel this is an important topic i need to understand but, what happens when the game isn't fun and you feel like you're forced to stay inside the game. When a game isn't fun you stop playing it and play another game that will be enjoyable. In life there is only one game to play which is life. So how does this work? 

6 minutes ago, LowPlanetary said:

Ah ok, now i think i understand. So when i play a game too seriously, i lose things and feel bad, and when i gain things i feel good but want more. When i play a game for fun and i lose things i laugh and when i gain things i laugh and feel good. I think i see now.

Sorry if i'm asking too many questions but i feel this is an important topic i need to understand but, what happens when the game isn't fun and you feel like you're forced to stay inside the game. When a game isn't fun you stop playing it and play another game that will be enjoyable. In life there is only one game to play which is life. So how does this work? 

The trick is to stop assuming there is certain part of the game that aren't enjoyable.

Actually, stop assuming anything.

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

@LowPlanetary I think in a few words, what @Nahm said nailed it.... as long as it's about connection...and it isn't parasitic, co-dependant, vampiric, etc... attached to a "pain-self's" *need* for "attachment".... now, that said, I still believe in a positive type of love attachment, which is a total bonding, like I have with my daughter...that would never be as simple as a connection....

12 hours ago, LowPlanetary said:

So if attachment = suffering. Does detachment = bliss? Which means satisfaction with the present moment?

Also how do i detach myself from everything? Is that just the process of enlightenment? Is that meditation? Not too sure.

For any thought to lead to a emotional response in a sence attachement is required. 

Pain/suffering from negative thought therefor is equal to joy/pleasure from positive thought. The duration of this attachment or even the attachment itself is completly under your control.

PD gives you tools to modify and remove attachments and enlightenment transends the complete system where all becomes optiomal in a sense.

12 hours ago, LowPlanetary said:

So if attachment = suffering. Does detachment = bliss?

Yes, but in the first place try to understand the meaning of the word detachment. It is unfortunately one of the most misunderstood words. detachment is generally taken to mean aversion, but it is not aversion. Aversion is a kind of attachment - the opposite of attachment.

Someone is attached to sex and someone else is attached to its opposite -  celibacy. Someone is attached to wealth; he is running after wealth, and someone else is attached to renunciation of wealth; he is running away from wealth. One person is obsessed with the idea of looking handsome; another person is obsessed with the idea of looking ugly. But those who are averse to sex, money or good looks appear to be non-attached because their attachments are negative.

Attachment has two faces, positive and negative. You can fancy a thing so much that you madly run after it, you cling to it - this is positive attachment. And you can be so much repelled by a thing that you want to escape it, to run away from it; then it is negative attachment. Negative attachment is as much attachment as positive attachment.

Detachment is altogether different; it is freedom from both the positive and the negative kinds of attachment. Non-attachment means one is neither attached to something nor averse to it. Detachment is transcendence of both attachment and aversion.

One place to start is noticing how you "like" or "don't like" things. That's common nomenclature for attachment and aversion, respectively. 

nothing is anything

20 hours ago, LowPlanetary said:

Also how do i detach myself from everything?

@LowPlanetary

I use to think of how short life is and that I (and all human beings that is alive now) will stop to exist very soon. That thought also make me feel more reverence towards all things.

7 hours ago, eskwire said:

One place to start is noticing how you "like" or "don't like" things. That's common nomenclature for attachment and aversion, respectively. 

Not true. 

I had a Taylor 914ce guitar. I absolutely loved it. LOVED IT. 

With the biggest smile on my face - I smashed it against the wall. It blew the fuck up. It was awesome.

Because it was just a guitar.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

23 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

Yes, but in the first place try to understand the meaning of the word detachment. It is unfortunately one of the most misunderstood words. detachment is generally taken to mean aversion, but it is not aversion. Aversion is a kind of attachment - the opposite of attachment.

Someone is attached to sex and someone else is attached to its opposite -  celibacy. Someone is attached to wealth; he is running after wealth, and someone else is attached to renunciation of wealth; he is running away from wealth. One person is obsessed with the idea of looking handsome; another person is obsessed with the idea of looking ugly. But those who are averse to sex, money or good looks appear to be non-attached because their attachments are negative.

Attachment has two faces, positive and negative. You can fancy a thing so much that you madly run after it, you cling to it - this is positive attachment. And you can be so much repelled by a thing that you want to escape it, to run away from it; then it is negative attachment. Negative attachment is as much attachment as positive attachment.

Detachment is altogether different; it is freedom from both the positive and the negative kinds of attachment. Non-attachment means one is neither attached to something nor averse to it. Detachment is transcendence of both attachment and aversion.

This one seems to be pretty hard to nail. How does one learn detachment after first being positively attached and then swung the pendulum too far and becoming negatively attached to certain things ?. Any good books or other material on the subject besides some of Leos videos ?. This is the single largest obstacle in my life right now so i would really like to know where to start.

@Tuomas emotion is a good attachment indicator. When you have a emotional response to a thought investigate it.