Hardkill

Leo, couldn't a 4 day work week actually make a company more competitive?

26 posts in this topic

I know you said that in your vid, "When the Left goes too far: Part 1," that you are concerned with the idea of a company having a 4 day work week because you say that that could cost that company many valuable hours of productivity, which would cause that business to be less competitive than other businesses who have all of their workers do the usual 5 day work week. 

However, I think that a 4 day work week would really help every worker in the business get the sufficient amount of emotional and mental recovery they need to be fully refreshed and feel even more motivated to work even harder and better the following week. Furthermore, I really believe that it will help reduce or eliminate workplace burnout. It sounds counterintuitive, but couldn't that actually make a company be even more competitive by working smarter and not longer?

Edited by Hardkill

If that was true companies would have already adopted it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

If that was true companies would have already adopted it.

Actually, it looks like a growing number of companies in the US are trying this out and seeing how it will really work in the long run.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/04/business/four-day-work-week-risk-takers/index.html

But what instead of having a 4 day work week should companies be doing to solve the issues of workplace burnout, quiet quitting, life dissatisfaction, mental and physical health problems from overworking, death from overwork, diminishing work performance, etc. all of which have becoming growing widespread issues in countries such as the US and Japan?

Edited by Hardkill

9 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

But what instead of having a 4 day work week should companies be doing to solve the issues of workplace burnout, quiet quitting, life dissatisfaction, mental and physical health problems from overworking, death from overwork, diminishing work performance, etc. all of which have becoming growing widespread issues in countries such as the US and Japan?

Realistically, at this stage of business evolution, companies should not care about worker burn out because they can just replace workers. Most employees can begrudgingly handle 40 hours per week. It makes for a shitty life, but most workers are complacent enough to tolerate it. And frankly, many of those workers would waste that time anyway on watching TV and scrolling through Instagram. At least this way they do something productive.

We are not at a point where companies can be globally competitive with a 4 day work week. US has to compete with China, India, and the like. For a 4 day work week to work, everyone in the world has to adopt it. It's similar to a disarmament treaty. And 3rd world countries cannot afford that because they are still too poor.

Edited by Leo Gura

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Realistically, at this stage of business evolution, companies should not care about worker burn out because they can just replace workers.

what? having rapid turnover in your company and having to constantly replace skilled employees has an incredibly high associated cost to it.

https://www.gallup.com/workplace/247391/fixable-problem-costs-businesses-trillion.aspx

1 minute ago, thepixelmonk said:

what? having rapid turnover in your company and having to constantly replace skilled employees has an incredibly high associated cost to it.

Not as high as cost as a 4 day work week will be.

Also, a 5 day work week does not cause rapid turn over.

Humans used to work 12-14 hours days, 6 days a week.

Edited by Leo Gura

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Realistically, at this stage of business evolution, companies should not care about worker burn out because they can just replace workers. Most employees can begrudgingly handle 40 hours per week. It makes for a shitty life, but most workers are complacent enough to tolerate it. And frankly, many of those workers would waste that time anyway on watching TV and scrolling through Instagram. At least this way they do something productive.

Okay, I see your point there.

But what about the idea how most successful people are not happy at all because of the excessive amount of work they constantly put in order to achieve the success they made? 

Furthermore, how does and ambitious, hard working individual supposed to know when to slow down or cut down the amount of hours he/she works before they suffer the consequences of the excesses and toxicity of stage Orange?

Edited by Hardkill

1 minute ago, Hardkill said:

Okay, I see your point there.

But what about the idea how most successful people are not happy at all because of the excessive amount of work they constantly put in order to achieve the success they made? 

Furthermore, how does ambitious hard working individual supposed to know when to slow down or cut down the amount of hours he/she works before they have toxic and excesses of stage Orange?

Happiness just isn't a factor for most humans.

It takes a lot of develop to actually start to care about true happiness.

Most people are barely paying their rent.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

Happiness just isn't a factor for most humans.

It takes a lot of develop to actually start to care about true happiness.

Most people are barely paying their rent.

So, then Elon Musk was right all along about needing to work 80+ hours per week every week every year for the rest of your life in order to become truly successful?

If that's so, then that makes me wonder what the point of living is?

3 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

So, then Elon Musk was right all along about needing to work 80+ hours per week every week every year for the rest of your life in order to become truly successful?

Success requires serious work. Of course. Why do you think most people aren't successful? They are too lazy.

But you don't have to work that much your whole life. Usually that much work is only required when you are starting a business. Once the business is stable you can work a lot less. Although if you want to be constantly innovative and creative, you must work hard. There is a big different between being successful/wealthy vs being innovative/creative. It's much easier to just be wealthy. Creativity is endless work.

Edited by Leo Gura

Success requires serious work. Of course. Why do you think most people aren't successful? They are too lazy.

But you don't have to work that much your whole life. Usually that much work is only required when you are starting a business. Once the business is stable you can work a lot less. Although if you want to be constantly innovative and creative, you must work hard. There is a big different between being successful/wealthy vs being innovative/creative. It's much easier to just be wealthy. Creativity is endless work.

Yeah, but can most people mentally and physically handle even a few years of an extreme amount of hours and days per week every week? I mean if everyone in the world then wouldn't the amount of people who end up with workplace burnout, diminished work performance, death from overwork, diminishing work performance, too much competition, etc. skyrocket all over the world like crazy?

Also, don't you need to have above average natural talent in something in order to become truly successful at anything. I could be wrong, but I don't think that most people in the world have any natural talents for anything. Therefore, I still don't see how most people can become successful in life through hard work alone, even if they worked as hard as hell for many years.

So, you no longer believe that you are most creative and connected to life on your off days?

On 11/30/2018 at 11:20 AM, Leo Gura said:

I find that if I work too much I start to feel like a robot and I lose my creativity and passion for life.

The times I am most creative and connected to life is on my days off.

Or is it more nuanced than that and depends on each individual?

We are not at a point where companies can be globally competitive with a 4 day work week. US has to compete with China, India, and the like. For a 4 day work week to work, everyone in the world has to adopt it. It's similar to a disarmament treaty. And 3rd world countries cannot afford that because they are still too poor.

Yes, China will have the largest economy in the world by around 2030, and yes other countries India, Russia, and Brazil have become very competitive, but America is by far the most powerful, most successful country, and the richest country in the world. It's still ruled by an authoritarian dictator, who lately has been coming off even more like a totalitarian ruler like Kim Jong-Un in North Korea. That's why the political elites in China cannot and will not even receive the constructive criticism from high quality independent journalism and public opinion that would provide such crucial honest feedback on what things the government needs to do in order to greatly improve their country. Xi Jinping and the other political elites probably only has yes men telling him what he wants to hear instead of telling him what he needs to hear because everyone else in China is probably afraid of getting severely punished or killed if they either speak out against them or point any mistakes they are making or tell them any bad news they don't want hear about. Also, their medical technology is still inferior to western nations. Plus, to my knowledge, the country doesn't have any where the amount of highly creative and highly innovative individuals that the US has. Moreover, their overall quality of infrastructure is not anywhere near as good as America's infrastructure.

You even said that even big powerful countries such as Russia, Brazil, China, and India are still so underdeveloped that it will take them at least 50 to 100 years to maybe catch up to America.

Russia has lately proven to not nearly as tough or as threatening as we thought before given how much they've already been struggling to even take over Ukraine, which quite frankly is turning out to be such a historic embarrassment of epic proportions. Also, because there's no real democracy there, political elites of Russia, particularly Putin, also only have yes men telling them what they want to hear.  In fact, everyone in Russia has recently become terrified of telling Putin the mistakes he's been making. Additionally, this war is taking such a profound toll on the entire economy of Russia that top economists around the world have been saying that not only is Russia in a severe recession, but it will more than likely enter into a real economic depression. Btw, the country has already been having a significant brain drain in recent months. Furthermore, they have a worse overall quality of infrastructure than China does.

https://fortune.com/2022/08/20/russia-brain-drain-young-russians-leaving-after-ukraine-war-putin/

India, does have some amount of real democracy, but I don't think that their democracy is nearly as high in quality as the US. Also, while the country's economy has undoubtedly become increasingly richer and larger at a very significant rate v the country is still much poorer than China and Russia. Not to mention that their level of infrastructure is actually much worse than either China's or Russia's level of infrastructure. 

Brazil has about the level of real democracy as India, but the country overall is still no better off than either China, Russia, or India, in any way at all.

So, doesn't that mean that the US already so far ahead of every other country in the world in power, wealth, and overall success that there is absolutely no way that any other country will be able to take over America's spot as the number one superpower nation in the world for several decades? Even if America no longer became number one in the world overall, so what?

Edited by Hardkill

India has a 6-day work-week. The lucky ones get a half-day on Saturday. This includes school-students. And banks are closed on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month, so they get those Saturdays as holidays. Nobody complains about it, cuz everybody fundamentally understands that life is more of a grind here. 

When I was living in the US, I loved the 5-day work-week. As far as I'm concerned, you guys live in paradise relative to this issue. 

Now, I do understand the point about mental-health that you're making. This would make sense in a society that prioritizes happiness over survival. However, the problem is that the foundation of this society has been built by those who prioritize survival. The prioritization of survival is conditioned into us, it's unnatural and it's unconscious. But, just getting a 4-day work-week is not going to change that about you. 

3 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Yeah, but can most people mentally and physically handle even a few years of an extreme amount of hours and days per week every week?

Most people used to work 12-14 hours days, 6 days a week.

Is it healthy? No.

3 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Also, don't you need to have above average natural talent in something in order to become truly successful at anything. I could be wrong, but I don't think that most people in the world have any natural talents for anything. Therefore, I still don't see how most people can become successful in life through hard work alone, even if they worked as hard as hell for many years.

Depends on your definition of success.

Even average people can become fairly successful simply through hard work and saving your money.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This point doesn't make sense. Where are Scandinavian countries competing like that? But they are the happiest countries. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Most people used to work 12-14 hours days, 6 days a week.

Is it healthy? No.

When? During the 19th century, when people such as factory workers and children were forced to work that much? That indeed was a very unhealthy and very unjust situation for all of those people?

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Depends on your definition of success.

Even average people can become fairly successful simply through hard work and saving your money.

What about being to make a least a million dollars through legitimate means? Or getting a high status job of any kind or becoming a famous celebrity (which I know is like 1 in a million chance of ever happening)? Or creating something inventive or innovative for your society or for the whole world?

Edited by Hardkill

Working 40 a week is a waste of time and money. Time for workers and money for companies.

There is a limitation to how productive people can be in a day. Researches show that the average worker can't perform productivity more than 5-6 hours a day. That's why many workers scroll the internet or use their phones during the work days.

4 work days a week give some life-work balance. Workers who work 4 days a week are happier and more productive. It's good both for the companies and workers. It's a win win situation.

There are companies who understand it. Those who don't understand it lose workers constantly because people don't want to waste their time for making someone else richer anymore, so they constantly need to recruit new employees which costs a lot of money because the old workers are those who need to train the new workers at the expense of working time and company's productivity.

Bussiness have to adapt in order to survive, otherwise they would fail.

Let Love In

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I think the globalist market and its consequences ( compete vs china) is gonna slow down with the new environmentalism set by the elites in the 2030 agenda.

Importing things from China is not sustainable and planet friendly anymore. The trend now, at least in my country, is to consume local, and big supermarkets are contracting national producers, since politics will tend to punish imports via fuel taxes.

people should be working 120 hour weeks and never get any rest.