Jannes

Building VR worlds as a newbie

24 posts in this topic

I thought about building VR worlds as a technology to enhance psychedelic trips. Maybe in form of a 1 hour walk with many visualizations to indicate a certain facet of awakening. Or maybe in form of a Jedi temple. I am not sure yet but there are so many options. The problem is that I have very little technical skills. Does anyone know if there are softwares to build VR worlds for people with almost no technical skills? There is pretty good software to build 3d models for newbies for example so I thought that something similar could also exist in VR.

5279214B-20F6-4B9F-9A48-1C9C64784B0A.jpeg

Horizon Worlds is what you're after. It might still only be available in US + Canada right now though, so you might need a VPN to get around it.

You can make your own public or private world and visit thousands of other people's worlds. There are first person shooters, working bowling alleys, and all kinds of stuff that people have made.

No coding experience required, you just take various 3D shapes like cubes, cylinders, cones, etc and re-size/color them all to make your world out of.

------------------------------------------------------

If you can't get into Horizon Worlds, or if you're making complex objects that you want to import into the world, like custom trees and stuff, make them in Gravity Sketch first. It's free and seems like the best. I've tried several paid options like Tilt Brush by Google and others, and they're more 3D art apps than for actually building objects and worlds.

There's a tutorial on Youtube that will literally walk you through every brush/tool in Gravity Sketch in about an hour. Then just start messing around with it, come back to the video if you get stuck.

You can learn pretty fast. Here's the difference between what I created with 0 hours of experience and then re-doing it with 1-2 hours of experience lol:

comparison.png

While technically you could start building VR Worlds on desktop, I would extremely encourage you to start living and natively building within VR, for VR. You really need to be inside of the experience yourself to get the complete feel for how people will experience your creations.

Technically you can make and share your worlds from within Gravity Sketch, and it's cool to explore other people's creations.... you can literally jump into 3D paintings and stuff... but it's not specifically designed for that, and also lacking the multiplayer/community functionality of Horizon Worlds.

Also while I get not wanting to get knee-deep into the technical stuff, I think there's some technical things you should learn from the start. Particularly strategies around creating low-polygon models. The Quest 2 is still pretty limited, so if you want to make a really large world with lots of stuff in it, you've got to be efficient with how you use your resources. Learn to minimize the poly counts on stuff you make is just good practice in general, whether you're building for yourself, or maybe eventually it leads to some kind of career later on, you never know with emerging technologies.

I also took a course on Blender to try making 3D assets on desktop and it's like 10x more difficult and 100x less intuitive than Gravity Sketch or a similar VR alternative. Instead of learning dozens of keyboard shortcuts you literally just wave your hands and it's like magic.

Edited by Yarco

On 25.9.2022 at 2:22 AM, Yarco said:

Horizon Worlds is what you're after. It might still only be available in US + Canada right now though, so you might need a VPN to get around it.

You can make your own public or private world and visit thousands of other people's worlds. There are first person shooters, working bowling alleys, and all kinds of stuff that people have made.

No coding experience required, you just take various 3D shapes like cubes, cylinders, cones, etc and re-size/color them all to make your world out of.

-----------------------------------------------------

Alright thanks. That looks like a good place to start. 

If you can't get into Horizon Worlds, or if you're making complex objects that you want to import into the world, like custom trees and stuff, make them in Gravity Sketch first. It's free and seems like the best. I've tried several paid options like Tilt Brush by Google and others, and they're more 3D art apps than for actually building objects and worlds.

There's a tutorial on Youtube that will literally walk you through every brush/tool in Gravity Sketch in about an hour. Then just start messing around with it, come back to the video if you get stuck.

I checked out some videos of gravity sketch on YouTube. That looks incredible! 

You can learn pretty fast. Here's the difference between what I created with 0 hours of experience and then re-doing it with 1-2 hours of experience lol:

comparison.png

I don’t know what that is, but it looks pretty cool/cute.

While technically you could start building VR Worlds on desktop, I would extremely encourage you to start living and natively building within VR, for VR. You really need to be inside of the experience yourself to get the complete feel for how people will experience your creations.

Technically you can make and share your worlds from within Gravity Sketch, and it's cool to explore other people's creations.... you can literally jump into 3D paintings and stuff... but it's not specifically designed for that, and also lacking the multiplayer/community functionality of Horizon Worlds.

My worlds would be single player only. But you would say that Horizon Worlds would be better because it’s easier to share my creations that way? 

Also while I get not wanting to get knee-deep into the technical stuff, I think there's some technical things you should learn from the start. Particularly strategies around creating low-polygon models. The Quest 2 is still pretty limited, so if you want to make a really large world with lots of stuff in it, you've got to be efficient with how you use your resources. Learn to minimize the poly counts on stuff you make is just good practice in general, whether you're building for yourself, or maybe eventually it leads to some kind of career later on, you never know with emerging technologies.

Okay I will look into that.
Yeah I have ideas on how to start small but of course the better the graphics are the more hooked people will be. Well if it’s successful I could see myself making VR worlds as my main job.

I also took a course on Blender to try making 3D assets on desktop and it's like 10x more difficult and 100x less intuitive than Gravity Sketch or a similar VR alternative. Instead of learning dozens of keyboard shortcuts you literally just wave your hands and it's like magic.

That’s what I was looking for ?

Thanks for the tips! Now I just have to get myself a 1TB Internet connection and a VR headset. Regarding the VR headset, what do you think are the minimum standards for working in Horizon Worlds, Gravity Sketch?

Universe picture:

Add friendly looking ghostly alien creature: „Let’s explore infinity!“ Followed by countless examples that show that the universe is infinite, starting with earth.

Fire picture: 
Add some friendly looking forest spirit: „Have you ever wondered what Love really is? To explain what Love is we can take fire as an analogy, as it shows the aspects of love that we often overlook because we have a hard time accepting them.“

Strange Loop Ant Picture:

Take ants away. The VR user walks on the Strange Loop himself while he gets an explanation of what Strange Loops are. 

Some ideas for starting so far. Need these awakenings though to be able to explain it well. 

F40F6508-E87B-4F11-8C7F-5DBA76D4C7B9.jpeg

AFCE3340-A4CB-4D8B-9F80-ACD01C2F3E78.jpeg

463F8A4B-1CCB-48AB-AC4C-DBCB7C4E3C15.gif

If you are serious about it, go learn Unity or Unreal engine. Don't expect to make it in a 3 months. If you are really into it then be ready to make a carrier as a 3d artist/Environment artist/game developer etc. Ask yourself "Will I stick to it if it will take me x3 longer than I've expected?" i guarantee it will take much longer than you expect.

Not sure about the psychedelics part, but VR worlds have huge potential which has yet to be tapped by anyone.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Not sure about the psychedelics part, but VR worlds have huge potential which has yet to be tapped by anyone.

Where do you see the potential for VR worlds? 
here are my thoughts so far:
-I could see a lot of companies wanting a unique VR place of their own and hiring people to make it for them. 
-Companies showing customers their real life place in VR (like hotel, bar, … you name it) so they can get a taste. 
-People who want to sell their house and put it in VR to make it easily accessible. 

Why do you not believe in the psychedelic part? 

VR can feel very real. And I think when you are on psychedelics VR can feel completely real because the conceptional distinction between VR and reality disappears. Just like you talked about in a recent video of yours where you completely dipped into a cartoon to the point where you became the cartoon and the cartoon characters. I feel like with VR that’s even more easy. And I think the teachings that would be delivered in the VR trip could be a lot more potent because your awareness is super sharpened because you feel like you really are in the VR world and with a mix of words and images you could really keep the attention on the topic. Just imagine you could fill somebody with contemplation for an hour and you know he would stay hyper conscious the whole time. You often repeat yourself in your videos because you know how easy it is for the mind to avoid the topic. But with VR support it might be a lot easier to stay on track. It could make mystical experiences more easily accessible on weaker psychedelics like shrooms or lsd, aka the mainstream which imo would be the best gift you could give to humanity right now. 

Edited by Jannes

18 hours ago, EugeneTheSage said:

If you are serious about it, go learn Unity or Unreal engine. Don't expect to make it in a 3 months. If you are really into it then be ready to make a carrier as a 3d artist/Environment artist/game developer etc. Ask yourself "Will I stick to it if it will take me x3 longer than I've expected?" i guarantee it will take much longer than you expect.

I would do it more for the spiritual part then the VR part. That’s why I wanted a newbie software. I think the VR part is also interesting, it’s just that there is a bit of danger for me to go too deep because things like that can soak up all of my awareness. When I was a kid and played to long on my Nintendo I went so deep into that world that it was always a bit of a struggle to reconnect with physical reality. But I will have to test it out. If it works now for me as an adult and is also fun, I could definitely see myself making a career out of it. 

Virtual worlds are gonna be a HUGE thing in the future. Perhaps bigger than the internet is today.

Zuckerberg is right about that. Just the way he's going about it is all weird and creepy.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura he clearly is not a Gamer. And gaming is a big aspect of Meta verse

He was not creepy at the beginning of Facebook. He changed to a robot, everything he says is scripted. But Apple Chef Tim cook does this too. They try extremely to be normal and casual and always overexited as well as friendly but they are not. Maybe they share the same communication Trainer lol

Edited by OBEler

@Leo Gura  100%. 

First trillionaires will probs be made from VR worlds

Just hope it doesn't end up all Dystopian like Ready Player One haha where the real world is absolute shit 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

47 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@Leo Gura  100%. 

First trillionaires will probs be made from VR worlds

Just hope it doesn't end up all Dystopian like Ready Player One haha where the real world is absolute shit 

I am thinking of the opposite. Imagine we would use VR to replace stuff that is really bad for the environment like driving a big car or being on a luxury yacht and also just put all the ugly shit in the world like office buildings into VR and then use the free space for nice stuff like nature, parks, … probably won’t happen I know ?

While I am optimistic about other pieces of technology, I'm not sure with this VR world. It seems like a step towards further gaining realism in the digital world, further entrapping its users and admins into getting lost in the maps and mistaking the maps for the TERRITORY.

How does VR world benefit me in the following:

Do VR worlds make me more money?

Do VR worlds help me train more skills towards my VISION of my career?

Does having and being inside VR worlds help me socialize, develop relationships?

Does VR worlds make me a better fucker?

Does VR worlds make me more healthy and fit?

Does VR worlds help me relax? Can I make it more entertaining than mainstream?

Does VR world help me think in 3d and help me better manipulate the environment around me?

Does being involved in VR worlds help accelerate my development in morality and cognition?

Does VR worlds help me better do bias correction in myself?

Does VR worlds help me further develop my values system?

Does VR world have a overall positive or negative effect to my psyche? Will it make me more lor less narcissistic?

Am I just distracting myself further with VR worlds? 

Have a look at Neos VR, it's similar to Horizon worlds in that you are inside the world at the same time as you are creating it, but it is more advanced and you will need a decent pc.

I think there is an overlap between people interested in VR and psychedelics.

There are many trippy worlds to explore in VRChat, and I have even heard hearsay that discord groups do guided tours of VRChat for people tripping. :D

@Yarco

On 9/25/2022 at 1:22 AM, Yarco said:

------------------------------------------------------

comparison.png

This is the beginning of your 10-year mastery process, from whacky Pikachu modals to Pikachu universes, here we go. 

4 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Yarco

This is the beginning of your 10-year mastery process, from whacky Pikachu modals to Pikachu universes, here we go. 

It's a Sonichu. An OC created by Mrs. Christine W. Chandler Sonichu, Goddess of the Nations of Cwcville, Comma, and the Commodore Consoles, and the Creator of Sonichu and Rosechu.

First step Sonichu medallion, next step I create all of CWCville and its alternate dimension C-197 in the Metaverse in preparation for the dimensional merge.

9 hours ago, TheNovice said:

double posted

You mean this post? I had a post where I asked if people think if VR could boost psychedelic trips. The main focus of this post was how to start a VR world as a newbie but turned into a similar discussion. 

Have a look at Neos VR, it's similar to Horizon worlds in that you are inside the world at the same time as you are creating it, but it is more advanced and you will need a decent pc.

I thought it is more about the internet then anything else. Hope my PC has enough power for that.  

I think there is an overlap between people interested in VR and psychedelics.

There are many trippy worlds to explore in VRChat, and I have even heard hearsay that discord groups do guided tours of VRChat for people tripping. :D

That’s so cool, thanks for sharing. I have to find these people ?

@Jannes I double-posted my reply :)

Both VRChat and Neos recommend a GTX 970 and an i5-4590 with 4 gigs of ram as a minimum. You should upgrade tho if you easily get motion sick imo.

But you don't need a PC at all if you want to use Horizon worlds and Gravity Sketch which runs natively on the quest 2.

Even VRChat runs on quest, but you can get like 15fps in a populated world. :S