ThePoint

Nothing seems to help my paranoia. I think I need professional help.

44 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ThePoint said:

@Ulax Thank you! Have you tried them? 

Yep, I've done them a decent amount. You're welcome

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

On 07/08/2022 at 3:59 AM, Michael569 said:

Treatment of paranoia is not something I have direct experience with however I am sure it is not that different from just general anxiety about negative experiences. In a way, you could say paranoia is a fear of past negative experiences being repeated.

Our brains are really good at hardwiring negative experinces from our past and then always scanning the environment for the repetition of that experience. I would bet that this is one of the major causes of general anxieties and panic attacks. 

Rather than fighting it, you could see it as a protective mechanism that you have subconsciously developed (probably in childhood) to protect yourself from being harmed so now your brain is ultra-vigilant at the smallest sign of danger and eager to trigger an anxiety response 

So the next logical step would be to identify the part of you triggering it and "inviting" that part out to share its fears. There is probably a 5 or 6 years old YOU that still thinks you are 7 and that does not trust you to take over control (because you were not able to in the past) and so it took control for you. 

I know you mentioned you have been doing self-therapy but if you are not experienced or trained properly, there is limit to what you may achieve and there is no shame in getting a private therapy. 

IFS has been mentioned here several times and this is also something I'd suggest you try. Richard Schwartz'd content seems great. I've recently been reading his book "no bad parts" and found it very helpful for this pursuit. Maybe try that for a start. It is quite exercise heavy tho so don't expect this to be just another theoretical book. This is actually a really practical step by step manual. 

Although I don't think we have IFS therapist on the forum, @flowboy seems to work alongside those lines with his clients so you guys could have a chat. If you would prefer a female guide, then reach out to @flume via her website. (i worked with her and can testify!) although not sure if she is currently taking on new clients. 

Whatever you choose, expect this to be a long term process. Behavioral modification is impossible to do quickly so be patient and keep exploring. 

Other than that, you wanna make sure your lifestyle is under control as well. Sleep, stress levels, activity, diet all have impact on neuroplasticity and major deficiencies in nutrition could have negative knock-ion effect on your cognitive performance. 

Good luck!

Dude @Michael569 you’re a legend. Thank you for your detailed reply man. 

The things I’m paranoid about have never happened actually happened to me, so I’m not sure why I’m so irrationally paranoid. My paranoia only started a year ago, out of nowhere. Maybe it has something to do with my gut problems.

What are your thoughts on addiction? I’ve been addicted to food and masturbation to escape this constant negative feeling. 

I’ve been trying to beat my food and masturbation addiction for so long but I keep relapsing. For my food addiction I overeat healthy foods too, it’s like I’m never satiated. I still get cravings for masturbation even though I don’t actually enjoy it anymore. Haven’t enjoyed it for a year.

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

On 07/08/2022 at 5:46 AM, Ulax said:

Yep, I've done them a decent amount. You're welcome

@Ulax How long did it take for you to start seeing results?

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

9 hours ago, ThePoint said:

@Ulax How long did it take for you to start seeing results?

I saw results after my first session. 

In terms of long term results, I haven't seen many

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback