Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craigxt22

Carbs/ oatmeal

28 posts in this topic

Hi,

I notice Leo is very anti carbs, grains, bread, wheat. Does that mean eating oatmeal is bad?  

Leo says he has gut problems and is only able to digest certain foods. 
All the major health organisation say that carbs are good.

No, provided that you can digest them well and do not react thi things such as high FODMAP carbohydrates, neither grains not legumes nor any of that stuff is bad for you. Obviously, some carbs are better than other but I would not demonise the whole group and throw them in the "evil" bucket. Leo has said many times that he cannot tolerate them due to ongoing gastrointestinal issues, that' a different story. 

Wholegrains and legumes are inversely associated with chronic disease outcomes and everybody needs to eat more of them. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Ok thanks,

Looks like gluten is what he is saying to avoid which is mostly in bread.

I eat oats for breakfast, and sometimes before bed as they help me sleep, any idea why?

@Craigxt22

1 hour ago, Craigxt22 said:

Ok thanks,

Looks like gluten is what he is saying to avoid which is mostly in bread.

I eat oats for breakfast, and sometimes before bed as they help me sleep, any idea why?

I don't know exactly what makes oatmeal more sleep inducing when eating at night, but I've mostly ate them either as breakfast or lunch and they give me quite enough energy for several hours..

I highly recommend Quacker brand oatmeals, the porridges are more softer than the whole wheat oatmeals and steel cut ones.

Relatively high Tryptophan content in oat is a possible explanation for that sleepiness

Regarding gluten, for non-coeliacs and people with a healthy digestive system, gluten is not an issue and there is no reason to eliminate it. Just don't go crazy with flour products, if you're gonna consume gluten eat in from high fibre whole grains like spelt or barley or whole grain products like whole-wheat pasta with supreme fibre content instead. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

17 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Relatively high Tryptophan content in oat is a possible explanation for that sleepiness

2 hours ago, Craigxt22 said:

Interesting. I heard from so many people that they get sleepy from oats and it’s also the case in my personal experience. 

@Jannes

1 hour ago, Jannes said:

Interesting. I heard from so many people that they get sleepy from oats and it’s also the case in my personal experience. 

It' might be because that particular type of carbohydrate, the body senses it needs to further breakdown, which means it would send more blood to the digestion system, which invariably makes you more tired. It also could likely be what your mixing with the oats, like milk and honey or cherries that effect sleep.

Oatmeal has got to be one of my all time favorite foods.

Edited by cupofwater

@cupofwater

7 hours ago, cupofwater said:

Oatmeal has got to be one of my all time favorite foods.

Yes, also because you can make flap jacks too:D

Okay, thanks all.

I am trying to get my diet perfect, within reason. Just looked back on Leo's video on shopping for healthy foods, it seems he is anti gluten. Is gluten mostly in bread?

Rice, pasta is okay to eat aswell yes?

Pro carb

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

4 hours ago, Craigxt22 said:

Okay, thanks all.

I am trying to get my diet perfect, within reason. Just looked back on Leo's video on shopping for healthy foods, it seems he is anti gluten. Is gluten mostly in bread?

Gluten is okay if you are healthy. @Michael569 can probably tell you more about it. 
Gluten is in grain. It is a little different in each. Spelt gluten is a bit different from wheat gluten for example. Most people who say gluten is bad say that wheat gluten is the worst. So if you want to limit gluten then you might want to switch to grain products other then wheat. 

Most pasta is wheatflower pasta. -> gluten. You can buy corn pasta for example but some whole grain pasta is more healthy imo because it has more nutrients. 

Some other alternatives: Quinoa, Buckwheat, Rice, all types of Legumes… just google it ?

But whole grain products are cheap, nutritious and easy to integrate so I think it makes sense to integrate them in your diet. But I am also not an expert on gluten. 

Just listen to your body, see how you feel after eating certain foods, we are all different. 

Just be aware that grains tend to have low nutritional density Vs plants & meat so use them for filler calories once you've reached your nutritional requirements. 

Personally I eat oatmeal in the morning and a small carb portion with my dinner, and that's it for the day. I don't eat gluten because it causes bloating and flatulence for me, as does spinach weirdly. 

3 hours ago, Stovo said:

Just listen to your body, see how you feel after eating certain foods, we are all different. 

Just be aware that grains tend to have low nutritional density Vs plants & meat so use them for filler calories once you've reached your nutritional requirements. 

Personally I eat oatmeal in the morning and a small carb portion with my dinner, and that's it for the day. I don't eat gluten because it causes bloating and flatulence for me, as does spinach weirdly. 

I wouldn’t say that. Whole grains have quite a bit of vitamins and minerals in them especially B-vitamins. Of course veggies for example have far more nutrients per calorie but whole grains are more then just a calorie “filler“. 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:44 AM, Danioover9000 said:

@cupofwater

Yes, also because you can make flap jacks too:D

Yes!!! xD

@Craigxt22

On 7/12/2022 at 6:13 PM, Craigxt22 said:

Okay, thanks all.

Yes, Rice and pasta contains a bit less glutton, but with rice there's the other problem of heavy metals like arsenic, depending on brand and where that rice product came from, and with pasta it's should be okay.

The other problem with wheat, and with increasing your fiber intake, is if the fiber intake is too high for you, you'll poop harder stools, increasing your likelihood of  other digestion problems of too high fiber. This is why I don't like whole meal or steel cut oats, or brown rice/pasta. Test yourself if you can mix vinegar, like malt vinegar or balsamic vinegar. Apple cyder vinegar with honey is great. Also check out fermented foods like sour krauts and similar fermented foods like that. 

4 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

The other problem with wheat, and with increasing your fiber intake, is if the fiber intake is too high for you, you'll poop harder stools, increasing your likelihood of  other digestion problems of too high fiber. 

Is it really about the fiber though ? There are just some foods that make your poop hard like whole grain bread, banana, stuff like that. Most vegetables don’t make it harder they actually make it less hard. Also enough fat intake and hydration is important for smooth poop. 

14 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

The other problem with wheat, and with increasing your fiber intake, is if the fiber intake is too high for you, you'll poop harder stools

I don't think that's how it works. If anything, fibre softens your stool because it also attracts water through osmosis in the colon. Hard stools are caused by dehydration due to fibre deficiency generally. I'd be curious to see any prospective cohort study linking excess fibre to digestive issues (also, what digestive issues? IBS? IBD?) If we were to go to the extreme, we would say "colorectal cancer" right? The most extreme form of "digestive issues" is definitely either autoimmunity or malignancy because those can actually kill you. At least in the world of chronic issues. There is also a large amount  of infectious diseases but for the purpose of this conversation, we will exclude infectious diseases of GIT. 

Colorectal cancer is inversely associated with the consumption of grains, legumes, fruits and veggies..the more you eat them, the lower the risk. Compared to beef intake for example which is linearly associated - the more beef you eat the higher your colorectal cancer risk exponentially. 

SO no, even at the highest intakes of fibre, fibre is beneficial unless the person's gut is already messed up (e.g. severe SIBO or flared-up IBD) - where that's the case, those things need to be fixed. But fibre is not the cause of any digestive issues. 

Nearly all common chronic digestive issues actually get better on high fibre diet - haemorrhoids, constipation, diarrhoea, ulcerative colitis (if not flared up), diverticulitis & diverticular disease, permeability issues, dysbiosis etc. 

It's just that even in people who eat like 80-90grams a day, which would be considered being in top 1% of fibre consumers, there are still no associated harms other than pooping 3 times a day which is actually something you want. 

Also, with gluten. I'm not convinced anyone other than coeliacs actually needs to remove gluten. It's not what's causing the issue, it's that we consume it from products that are just shit foods like pastries, cakes, white pasta and all sort of processed garbage. If you eat wholegrain wheat like this , it is very unlikely that you'll have negative side effects...again, unless you are coeliac or undiagnosed coaliac or have a genetic mutation on HLADQ5 or HLADQ8 or both, which may predispose you to developing coeliac disease. If gluten is an issue, it is worth getting a genetic test along with IgA tissue transglutaminase (can be tested by doctor). 

Otherwise there is no need to remove Gluten 

@Michael569

15 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

genetic mutation on HLADQ5 or HLADQ8

Isn't it HLADQ2 or HLADQ8?

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003