SamC

I am taking antibiotics right now, how do I grow back my microbiome?

13 posts in this topic

I want to start taking my health more seriously and a part of it is educating myself on a lot of health relating topics. This is one of them. Any videos or tips/ thoughts? Also if you feel called to share some other health related videos or recorces, I'll gladly accept that aswell.

Edited by SamC

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

One thing I did a couple of years back when I treated an ear infection with antibiotics was to take probiotics during and a couple of weeks after the treatment. Didn't notice any side effects from the antibiotics whatsoever. 

Othet than that, prebiotic foods like vegetables and other fiber rich foods and whole foods in general is good to support gut health.

Edited by Asayake

@SamC  Last summer, got pink eye as a camp counselor, they prescribed a round of antibiotics to fix that problem, and it left a lasting impact on my ability to digest food, pass stool, bloating etc.. It wasn't until earlier this year that it got so bad that I had a fecal impaction, had hydrotherapy, and started taking a probiotic and it has helped Immensely.

I currently take three different ones, daily,

Been on this regimen for about 2.5 months now, has helped a ton!

Much love, Stay true :)

Welcome, to the authenticity evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A

Try to get through your ailment/illness taking as minimal anti-biotics as you can. They are bad for your long term health as your body builds a resistance to them, and it can come back to haunt you when you get old and have to take them again.

As for getting your microbiome back that will happen naturally. Eat healthy, sleep well.

hrhrhtewgfegege

Your microbiome can restore on its own, you don't really need to do anything as long as this is a single course. Just keep eating high-fibre diet with some prObiotic food and you'll get it all back. 

For education, you could get the book by Justin & Erica Sonnenburg - The Good Gut.  These two are one of the leading microbiome researchers in the world and Justin has recently been hosted on Hubberman Lab Podcast as well although that one wasn't as interesting as the lecture Erica delivered here:  

* moving to health subforum, 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I started oral antibiotics yesterday as I've had a bacterial infection in my scalp that worsened while being in a warmer country. I could certainly feel it impacting my energy levels the first day taking them. It's such a shame, because I've recently become more aware of the importance of the microbiome for things like cognition and well-being, and I'm probably giving myself a really bad case of nocebo ?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

4 hours ago, Asayake said:

One thing I did a couple of years back when I treated an ear infection with antibiotics was to take probiotics during and a couple of weeks after the treatment. Didn't notice any side effects from the antibiotics whatsoever. 

Othet than that, prebiotic foods like vegetables and other fiber rich foods and whole foods in general is good to support gut health.

Thanks man!@Asayake

4 hours ago, Realms of Wonder said:

@SamC  Last summer, got pink eye as a camp counselor, they prescribed a round of antibiotics to fix that problem, and it left a lasting impact on my ability to digest food, pass stool, bloating etc.. It wasn't until earlier this year that it got so bad that I had a fecal impaction, had hydrotherapy, and started taking a probiotic and it has helped Immensely.

I currently take three different ones, daily,

Been on this regimen for about 2.5 months now, has helped a ton!

Much love, Stay true :)

@Realms of Wonder

Thanks a ton man! Will check it out?

3 hours ago, Roy said:

Try to get through your ailment/illness taking as minimal anti-biotics as you can. They are bad for your long term health as your body builds a resistance to them, and it can come back to haunt you when you get old and have to take them again.

As for getting your microbiome back that will happen naturally. Eat healthy, sleep well.

Okey, will have to take antibiotics now but I always try to avoid it but will keep this in mind. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Your microbiome can restore on its own, you don't really need to do anything as long as this is a single course. Just keep eating high-fibre diet with some prObiotic food and you'll get it all back. 

For education, you could get the book by Justin & Erica Sonnenburg - The Good Gut.  These two are one of the leading microbiome researchers in the world and Justin has recently been hosted on Hubberman Lab Podcast as well although that one wasn't as interesting as the lecture Erica delivered here:  

* moving to health subforum, 

Awsome, Love it. Thanks man.

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

I started oral antibiotics yesterday as I've had a bacterial infection in my scalp that worsened while being in a warmer country. I could certainly feel it impacting my energy levels the first day taking them. It's such a shame, because I've recently become more aware of the importance of the microbiome on things like cognition and well-being, and I'm probably giving myself a really bad case of nocebo ?

Sucks bro. What happend happens though, can't do anything about it. One just must accept it

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

It should grow back on its own just from the food you eat.

Or try probiotics, although they can cause more problems.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Or try probiotics, although they can cause more problems.

Can you please elaborate?

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

If you take a huge bunch of just one type of bacteria, they'll sometimes outcompete other types of beneficial bacteria. It's a bit like introducing an invasive species to an ecosystem.

12 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

If you take a huge bunch of just one type of bacteria, they'll team up and try to outcompete other types of beneficial bacteria. It's a bit like introducing an invasive species to an ecosystem.

But bottles usually come up with diverse types, at least more or less expensive ones, am I wrong?

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

But bottles usually come up with diverse types, at least more or less expensive ones, am I wrong?

That depends.

The microbial composition of the gut microbiota varies across regions of the digestive tract. The colon contains the highest microbial density recorded in any habitat on Earth, representing between 300 and 1000 different species.[6] However, 99% of gut bacteria come from about 30 or 40 species.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_microbiota

5 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

5 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

Our therapeutic understanding surrounding the gut-microbiome is still in its infancy.
Studies about supplementation show mixed results.
Our best data actually comes from stool transplants, which can be extremely effective in some patients.

There are multiple case reports & anecdotes about certain individuals fucking up their micriobiome through supplementation. This can cause all sorts of issues down the road. I personally advice my patients to build up their biome through mostly food-focused resources (fermented vegetables, sourcrout, berries) and use supplemebtive solutions only in exceptional cases.

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke