Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrTouchdown

Who makes the thoughts I cognize?

13 posts in this topic

I (the controller of my body) am writing this post. There is no doubt in my mind about this. I am also cognizing/experiencing something that I call thoughts. However I can’t prove to myself that I am making these thoughts. I consider the possibility that someone else is making the thoughts that I am cognizing. I call this “the devil”. Perhaps an all powerful being is speaking to me in the form of thoughts. Or perhaps I am making the thoughts all by myself just like I write this post all by myself. Is there anyway to know whether or not I am making the thoughts that I am aware of? 

Thoughts come from nowhere and from everywhere! I think both contain an element of truth. Subjectively, our thoughts come from nowhere: they just pop into our heads, or emerge in the form of words leaving our mouths. Objectively, we can say that thoughts emerge from neural processes, and that neural processes come from everywhere. What I mean by this is that the forms and dynamics of thought are influenced by everything that has a causal connection with you, your society, and your species

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

10 minutes of meditation and you can see for yourself that they're arising from nowhere and outside of your control.

Go for the simplest answer that you can actually observe. Don't invent demonic mental rube goldberg machines where none exist.

Edited by Yarco

8 minutes ago, Yarco said:

10 minutes of meditation and you can see for yourself that they're arising from nowhere and outside of your control.

What causes thoughts to arise in your view?

Edited by MrTouchdown

thought is energy that you haven't put to bed namely unfinished business, if you put it to bed it won't arise any longer

thought is the past you are trying to map onto the present ... not a good approach

thought is the story that you are the person in the mirror ... fact is you have no say in that person's life

it's coming from nowhere just like existence right here right now

even the thoughts that feel like you

There is no separate controller of the body, no separate thinker of thoughts.

This is just a false sense of self.

You are the body and the thoughts, there is nothing behind it.

I am Physically Immortal

I am also more than God :)

5 hours ago, MrTouchdown said:

This:

50 minutes ago, Swarnim said:

it's coming from nowhere just like existence right here right now

Go back and watch Leo's original videos on spiritual enlightenment, it's all been covered already. Pretty 101 stuff, even Sam Harris agrees this far I think.

@Yarco So in your view there is no source of thoughts?

Edited by MrTouchdown

6 hours ago, MrTouchdown said:

In what appears to be a physical world, it can be said that thoughts arise as a result of neurons reaching a charge sufficient to meet their threshold potential. This opens voltage-gated sodium channels in the cell membrane which cause a sudden depolarisation (a spike, called an action potential). This in turn transmits charge across the length of the neuronal axon and causes neurotransmitters to pass through the synaptic bouton and across the synaptic cleft to the dendrites of another neuron.

Each such synaptic firing event can be said to be a little bit like binary data: it either fires or does not fire. En masse the trillions of neurons that comprise the cortical columns of different brain regions build up a complex picture from this binary data, and scientific materialists would suggest that this is more or less what thoughts are made of.

Regardless of whether the materialists are right, it is worth pondering at exactly which juncture in this process you are involved. Do you control or decide any of the above neurochemical processes?

... and this rabbit hole can eventually lead to the realisation that there is no you at all.

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

since you were born they have been talking to you. you have built your vision of the world, of yourself, of reality, basically according to the things that you have been told. either talking to you, in books, in movies. Your whole world is made of words. you are absolutely addicted to words. if there is no one talking to you, you talk to yourself. words structure your mind, parcel it out, give it shape. you cannot live without that form, just as the drug addict cannot live without the drug. you need to hold on to a handhold, so you create it yourself, constantly. You can't shut up for a second. if you did, you would see that there are no limits, no shapes

It is what I refer to as Spirit - the heart of matter, or, what matters, essentially.

Thoughts are merely reflections of feelings, in the mind. Their source is the subconscious that is Spirit