Terell Kirby

Job opportunity in Austin, TX (tech)

21 posts in this topic

For a popular SCV tech company.

Can anyone tell me about Austin?

• Cost of Living,
  • Culture
  • Food
  • Dating Scene (i'm a heterosexual male)
  • Activities

Austin is awesome.

Dating = awesome

Food = awesome

Activities = awesome

Culture = awesome

Cost of living = high but worth it

Worst part of Austin is the horrible traffic.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

How competitive is the job market in Austin right now (specifically for an entry level developer)? 

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Cost of living = high but worth it

Worst part of Austin is the horrible traffic.

Lines up with what I read. Ok! Hopefully I can visit before making a decision on the offer ..

2 hours ago, kray said:

How competitive is the job market in Austin right now (specifically for an entry level developer)? 

It's pretty good in tech .. definitely do some searching online for openings.

Edited by Terell Kirby

I love how you guys didn't even given him any answers you guys just added in adjectives. That's hilarious:D

Edited by BuddhistLover

"Reality is a Love Simulator"-Leo Gura

I've been to Austin when I was super young, but from what I remember it's nice weather, like all year round. Contrary to what most people would think of Texas, Austin is extremely diverse, with people from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds. If you love diverse food options and some of the country's best bbq, then Austin is the place.  

9 hours ago, Twentyfirst said:

year round weather? too dry maybe?

Austin is not dry. It rains there a decent amount. It's pretty green there.

One of the biggest downsides is that it's the middle of Texas. You're in the middle of cowboy redneck country.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

One of the biggest downsides is that it's the middle of Texas. You're in the middle of cowboy redneck country.

Have you ever been to Portland Oregon? I read Austin Texas is a bit similar to there. I was thinking it maybe had a bit of a green vibe there. I like Portland for that. I have been looking into Austin a bit. 

@Terell Kirby Just spent a month in the boonies but I’m headed back to Austin for dating. Working remote tech sales. Rent is pretty high so I’ll have to get a co-signer.

I think Austin is one of the best dating cities, esp. if you’re not psycho enough to live in Vegas.

Edited by Bob Seeker

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

It sort of matters what part of town the job is in. The domain is like its own little city north of DT. Take into account distance from venues or parks or DT or whatever you want to be near.

57 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Not really, Austin is blue. Most Californians and NYers priced out usually move there. They say Texas is going to go blue in a few years actually. 

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Definitely. Hopefully Austin is liberal enough s that its fairly unnoticeable. Not a huge fan of rednecks.

5 hours ago, Bob Seeker said:

I think Austin is one of the best dating cities, esp. if you’re not psycho enough to live in Vegas.

Good to know. What kind of women have you run into in Austin?

4 hours ago, kray said:

They say Texas is going to go blue in a few years actually. 

Texas has been blue already for years lol. Austin is a green city located in a blue state. Quite an odd setup. But it’s similar set up to where I live now (Charlotte, NC).

I meant green in terms of trees and vegetation.

Although the culture of Austin is very stage Green.

13 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:
18 hours ago, Bob Seeker said:

Lots of young girls, like all the yuppies work out and have good bods.

A lot of girls have boyfriends in this city I find, but plenty of singles, or course, especially at the bars.

They aren’t total hippie girls like in Boulder CO, I think they’re more orange than that. They want to have fun dating.

lots of Latinas, which I like, personally.

Good amount of LGBTQ culture 

tons of girls have dogs, which I don’t care for.

Edited by Bob Seeker

2 hours ago, Bob Seeker said:

tons of girls have dogs

Lol, that's everywhere.

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I meant green in terms of trees and vegetation.

Although the culture of Austin is very stage Green.

Given that the state's demographics have been shifting more towards liberalism for almost two decades now and that the last US general election was the closest the state ever got to becoming purple since the 1996 general election, I really hope that Texas will turn into a Green-leaning Orange state in about a decade from now.

20 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:

Definitely. Hopefully Austin is liberal enough s that its fairly unnoticeable. Not a huge fan of rednecks.

Texas has been blue already for years lol. Austin is a green city located in a blue state. Quite an odd setup. But it’s similar set up to where I live now (Charlotte, NC).

I meant blue politically lol xD

Also I might or might not accept a job offer in Charlotte NC. What's it like living there @Terell Kirby? What are some cool things to do as a 23/24 year old living by himself in Charlotte?

18 hours ago, Bob Seeker said:

How’s the dating scene and night life in Charlotte? 

Decent - not the best nightlife for cold approach (at least at high volume) but lots of stuff for social circle and day game. Most women here are working corporate jobs, recent grads from college. Yes, they all have dogs lol.

11 hours ago, kray said:

What are some cool things to do as a 23/24 year old living by himself in Charlotte?

Depends on what you are into. We have a good metropolitan district .. lots of craft breweries, coffee shops and food. Our parks are decent as well .. you get all four season in NC (winter, spring, summer, fall). 

We're also not too far of a drive from the mountains and coastal beaches. Everyone loves the White Water Center in the summer.

Edited by Terell Kirby