hello1234

DSM-5 Definition of Psychopath

22 posts in this topic

Someone wrote this comment, and I agree with it fully:

“Of course Putin has his survival agenda like every other human. But if we stick to this POV then nobody is a psychopath or mentally disturbed because everybody serves their interests. But the collective defines some survival agendas as psychopathetic when showing little to zero empathy for other's lives. In that frame yes he is a psychopath like every other serial killer.”

Here is a DSM-5 clinical definition of antisocial personality disorder. Psychopathy is a term used by some professionals to refer to a form of antisocial personality disorder.

”APD (Antisocial Personality Disorder) is a DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition), diagnosis assigned to individuals who habitually and pervasively disregard or violate the rights and considerations of others without remorse. People with Antisocial Personality Disorder may be habitual criminals, or engage in behavior which would be grounds for criminal arrest and prosecution, or they may engage in behaviors which skirt the edges of the law, or manipulate and hurt others in non-criminal ways which are widely regarded as unethical, immoral, irresponsible, or in violation of social norms and expectations. Those with APD often possess an impaired moral conscience and make decisions driven purely by their own desires without considering the needs or negative effects of their actions on others.  Impulsive and criminal behavior is common.  The terms psychopathy or sociopathy are also used, in some contexts synonymously, in others, sociopath is differentiated from a psychopath, in that a sociopathy is rooted in environmental causes, while psychopathy is genetically based. 

The term antisocial may be confusing to the lay public, as the more common definition outside of clinical usage is an individual who is a loner or socially isolated. The literal meaning of the word antisocial can be more descriptive to both the lay public and professionals.  To be anti-social is to be against society: against rules, norms, laws and acceptable behavior. Individuals with Antisocial Personality Disorder tend to be charismatic, attractive, and very good at obtaining sympathy from others; for example, describing themselves as the victim of injustice. Some studies suggest that the average intelligence of antisocials is higher than the normAntisocials possess a superficial charm, they can be thoughtful and cunning, and have an intuitive ability to rapidly observe and analyze others, determine their needs and preferences, and present it in a manner to facilitate manipulation and exploitation. They are able to harm and use other people in this manner, without remorse, guilt, shame or regret.  It is widely stated that antisocials are without empathy, however this can be disputed, as sadistic antisocials will use empathy to experience their victim's suffering, and derive a fuller pleasure from it (Turvey, 1995). This is depicted in the classic work A Cask of Amontillado by Poe, as the main character entombs another man alive “...then I heard the furious vibrations of the chain. The noise lasted for several minutes, during which, that I might hearken to it with the more satisfaction, I ceased my labours and sat down upon the bones.” (Poe, 1846 ). Some research also suggests that sociopaths and psychopaths do have degrees of empathy, but with an innate ability to switch it off at will. (Meffer, Gazzola, den Boer, Bartells, 2013). This connection to empathy may give hope to future successful treatment as it suggests individuals with APD may be trained.”

I would like to discuss this clinical definition in terms of Putin, because to me, he meets the definition a 100%.

A small note on psychological disorders. Personality disorders are diagnosable by psychologists or psychiatrists and are grouped into clusters A, B or C, based on similar characteristics and symptoms. Many people with one personality disorder also have signs and symptoms of at least one additional personality disorder. Many personality disorders can be treated, but cannot be cured.

8D456D81-7472-45E2-9DF5-B59E5E5DFCCA.jpeg

Edited by hello1234

Dr Grande’s psychological assessment of Putin below:

You don't go meta enough. These definitions are belong to a particular worldview (American Psychiatric Association)  there has to be set of conditions for these ideas come up in first place. For example ; ''Not until 1987 did homosexuality completely fall out of the DSM.'' 
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201509/when-homosexuality-stopped-being-mental-disorder

''In 1973, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) asked all members attending its convention to vote on whether they believed homosexuality to be a mental disorder. 5,854 psychiatrists voted to remove homosexuality from the DSM, and 3,810 to retain it.''

It is just gross, look how they ask the question ''whether they (((believed))) homosexuality to be a mental disorder''

Now let's give an answer; we fucking (know) they are not mental disordered.

What can I learn from him&her? They didn't  bother to ask this question.

@Sucuk Ekmek lol, in russia the government still thinks it’s a “mental disorder”

This answer is a bunch of nothing.

16 hours ago, hello1234 said:

oh noes, i have some of those traits :/ 

Edited by PurpleTree

1 hour ago, PurpleTree said:

oh noes, i have some of those traits :/ 

If you don't have any of these traits, you're not human. It's about degrees.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

If you don't have any of these traits, you're not human. It's about degrees.

ok good i have around 36.7 degrees celsius

1 hour ago, hello1234 said:

@Sucuk Ekmek lol, in russia the government still thinks it’s a “mental disorder”

This answer is a bunch of nothing.

There is no way a government thinks it is a ''mental disorder.'' That information is for general public for several reasons... Don't 

underestimate a government like Russia, they are not a completely mafia state they also have philosophers among themselves. There should be many gays in russian government. Homosexuality among the elites was something noble in ancient greek for example.

7 minutes ago, A_v_E said:

How do you know when something is too much ? 

when it causes problems for you or others

@A_v_E there’s certain conditions that need to be met, e.g., exhibits a minimum of 5 out of 6 criteria over t duration of time 

6 hours ago, Sucuk Ekmek said:

You don't go meta enough. These definitions are belong to a particular worldview (American Psychiatric Association)  there has to be set of conditions for these ideas come up in first place. For example ; ''Not until 1987 did homosexuality completely fall out of the DSM.'' 
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201509/when-homosexuality-stopped-being-mental-disorder

''In 1973, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) asked all members attending its convention to vote on whether they believed homosexuality to be a mental disorder. 5,854 psychiatrists voted to remove homosexuality from the DSM, and 3,810 to retain it.''

It is just gross, look how they ask the question ''whether they (((believed))) homosexuality to be a mental disorder''

Now let's give an answer; we fucking (know) they are not mental disordered.

What can I learn from him&her? They didn't  bother to ask this question.

Psychiatry is limited, culture related and there are many things that are in question mark in this field.

But we can't ignore the fact that there are some people who born with antisocial traits in various levels, as much as some people born with high sensitivity, male of female, gay or straight.

13 hours ago, Random witch said:

Psychiatry is limited, culture related and there are many things that are in question mark in this field.

But we can't ignore the fact that there are some people who born with antisocial traits in various levels, as much as some people born with high sensitivity, male of female, gay or straight.

I agree. Psychology/psychiatry are evolving fields that made a massive progress over the past few decades. Behavioural/social sciences are not ever going to be an exact science like math or physics, and it’s foolish to dismiss them, just because they are not 100% exact.

18 hours ago, A_v_E said:

How do you know when something is too much ? 

When the police are after you.

just because u are from Ukraine does not  make Putin a psychopath. this is outright biased. Putin is  just doing his part for his country and as we all know, Russia is his concern. He is not willing to look at it from the other side just like u ukrainians are nationalistic. existence of a so called  independent western puppet of Ukraine is a threat to Russia. both sides has their own share of stains on their dresses. no side is clean.Putin is not the only one who wants this. he got the consent from the parliament.  There are Russians who love this war in the name of USSR and there are folks who resent it. so looking at one group will always leave us only with blind spots. 

C'mon girl!      Anyone can just post the clinical definition of  NPD and call Leo an high quality arrogant Narcissist and diagnose him with a personality disorder. It's that easy. 

my mini-blog!

https://wp.me/PcmO4b-T 

1 hour ago, happyhappy said:

just because u are from Ukraine does not  make Putin a psychopath. this is outright biased. Putin is  just doing his part for his country and as we all know, Russia is his concern. He is not willing to look at it from the other side just like u ukrainians are nationalistic. existence of a so called  independent western puppet of Ukraine is a threat to Russia. both sides has their own share of stains on their dresses. no side is clean.Putin is not the only one who wants this. he got the consent from the parliament.  There are Russians who love this war in the name of USSR and there are folks who resent it. so looking at one group will always leave us only with blind spots. 

C'mon girl!      Anyone can just post the clinical definition of  NPD and call Leo an high quality arrogant Narcissist and diagnose him with a personality disorder. It's that easy. 

I am not calling Putin a psychopath “just because I am from Ukraine”.

WTF is this? Because I am Ukrainian everything I say is inherently wrong? 

I would examine your bias towards Ukrainians because this comment is full of hate speech and generalizations. I would also learn more about Ukraine and its history before calling it a “western puppet” because you sound really ignorant.

Ukrainian nationalism is a result of painful history of invasions, wars, and Ukrainian genocide by russia over the past 300 years. Calling Ukrainians out on their “nationalism” is just as stupid as calling out a black person out for being proud of being black given the history they endured.  

Edited by hello1234

4 hours ago, hello1234 said:

WTF is this? Because I am Ukrainian everything I say is inherently wrong? 

i didn't say that. u may have made that point about urself xD i just said ur analysis is somewhat biased per se.

4 hours ago, hello1234 said:

Ukrainian nationalism is a result of painful history of invasions, wars, and Ukrainian genocide by russia over the past 300 years. Calling Ukrainians out on their “nationalism” is just as stupid as calling out a black person out for being proud of being black given the history they endured.  

i respect Ukraine as much I respect every nation. Noting special here.

"I would examine your bias towards Ukrainians because this comment is full of hate speech and generalizations. I would also learn more about Ukraine and its history before calling it a “western puppet” because you sound really ignorant."

i don't have any bias against Ukrainians lol. I only wanna make it clear that both sides are responsible to this. I could easily go ahead and blame the russian elites, putin, parliament and all of russians for this. but honey, it will not solve much and will leave out the other side of the picture.  I'm calling Ukraine a western puppet since its membership in NATO and EU will definitely sorta make it so. Its claim of membership will threaten Russian security. also do not forget the nazi camps issues in Ukraine.

As I said, both sides have stains on them. nobody is clean. Ukrainians too have their  share to come to the middle ground. 

as we all know, all sorts of nationalism are pure fantasies and BS we humans create. haahahaa... stage blue.  but we go for wars to protect them and obviously  war will not bring anything but misery. all that that's just how we survive. 

I hope u stay safe girl. good day<3

Edited by happyhappy

my mini-blog!

https://wp.me/PcmO4b-T 

18 hours ago, Random witch said:

Yes it is limited like anything, there is also power and economic relations. I take the question marks as a good sign.

Yes! There are people who fall into extreme ends of some traits. As far as I know from history they been tolareted and they weren't subject to politics as much as today. I think Michel Foucault did some good work on these subjects.

5 hours ago, happyhappy said:

i respect Ukraine as much I respect every nation. Noting special here. As I said, both sides have stains on them. nobody is clean. Ukrainians too have their  share to come to the middle ground. 

as we all know, all sorts of nationalism are pure fantasies and BS we humans create. haahahaa... stage blue.  but we go for wars to protect them and obviously  war will not bring anything but misery. all that that's just how we survive. 

What exactly is the “stain” on Ukrainian side? Living in their country and being a sovereign nation making its own decisions? 

You’re demonizing stage blue now. You can’t compare Ukrainian “nationalists” to right wing American nationalists, because like I explained, Ukrainian history is very complicated, the “nationalism” is basically just wanting to be free of occupation and have its own culture.

Also hahahaha, easy to say when you sit on a chair and no one attacks you with bombs. I don’t see what you find funny about that..

Edited by hello1234

On 06/03/2022 at 10:35 PM, hello1234 said:

Someone wrote this comment, and I agree with it fully:

“Of course Putin has his survival agenda like every other human. But if we stick to this POV then nobody is a psychopath or mentally disturbed because everybody serves their interests. But the collective defines some survival agendas as psychopathetic when showing little to zero empathy for other's lives. In that frame yes he is a psychopath like every other serial killer.”

Here is a DSM-5 clinical definition of antisocial personality disorder. Psychopathy is a term used by some professionals to refer to a form of antisocial personality disorder.

”APD (Antisocial Personality Disorder) is a DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition), diagnosis assigned to individuals who habitually and pervasively disregard or violate the rights and considerations of others without remorse. People with Antisocial Personality Disorder may be habitual criminals, or engage in behavior which would be grounds for criminal arrest and prosecution, or they may engage in behaviors which skirt the edges of the law, or manipulate and hurt others in non-criminal ways which are widely regarded as unethical, immoral, irresponsible, or in violation of social norms and expectations. Those with APD often possess an impaired moral conscience and make decisions driven purely by their own desires without considering the needs or negative effects of their actions on others.  Impulsive and criminal behavior is common.  The terms psychopathy or sociopathy are also used, in some contexts synonymously, in others, sociopath is differentiated from a psychopath, in that a sociopathy is rooted in environmental causes, while psychopathy is genetically based. 

The term antisocial may be confusing to the lay public, as the more common definition outside of clinical usage is an individual who is a loner or socially isolated. The literal meaning of the word antisocial can be more descriptive to both the lay public and professionals.  To be anti-social is to be against society: against rules, norms, laws and acceptable behavior. Individuals with Antisocial Personality Disorder tend to be charismatic, attractive, and very good at obtaining sympathy from others; for example, describing themselves as the victim of injustice. Some studies suggest that the average intelligence of antisocials is higher than the normAntisocials possess a superficial charm, they can be thoughtful and cunning, and have an intuitive ability to rapidly observe and analyze others, determine their needs and preferences, and present it in a manner to facilitate manipulation and exploitation. They are able to harm and use other people in this manner, without remorse, guilt, shame or regret.  It is widely stated that antisocials are without empathy, however this can be disputed, as sadistic antisocials will use empathy to experience their victim's suffering, and derive a fuller pleasure from it (Turvey, 1995). This is depicted in the classic work A Cask of Amontillado by Poe, as the main character entombs another man alive “...then I heard the furious vibrations of the chain. The noise lasted for several minutes, during which, that I might hearken to it with the more satisfaction, I ceased my labours and sat down upon the bones.” (Poe, 1846 ). Some research also suggests that sociopaths and psychopaths do have degrees of empathy, but with an innate ability to switch it off at will. (Meffer, Gazzola, den Boer, Bartells, 2013). This connection to empathy may give hope to future successful treatment as it suggests individuals with APD may be trained.”

I would like to discuss this clinical definition in terms of Putin, because to me, he meets the definition a 100%.

A small note on psychological disorders. Personality disorders are diagnosable by psychologists or psychiatrists and are grouped into clusters A, B or C, based on similar characteristics and symptoms. Many people with one personality disorder also have signs and symptoms of at least one additional personality disorder. Many personality disorders can be treated, but cannot be cured.

Great, so by definition a 1st world democracy is full of psychopaths in the perspective of an authoritarian regime, and the authoritarian regime along with it's dictator full of psychopaths to democracy. We have gone nowhere, and have successfully maintain our survival agendas of demonising the other, at both the individual level of ego, to the collective ego.