Barbara

Optimizing meditation

15 posts in this topic

Hi there! 
I was hoping you could give me some advice and tips on how to optimize meditation practice.

I'm on a two-year meditation streak. I meditate twice a day, in the morning and in the night, and it really depends on the phase, sometimes I meditate 40 minutes in each session, sometimes (lately) I meditate 5. I feel great about this streak because I used to struggle with showing up every day, but at the same time, I'm not putting that much effort into meditation right now, and I do it almost robotically because it's so meshed in my routines, that is like brushing my teeth. It has become a structural pattern that I'm not so proud of.
I also spot some patterns that arise in consequence of a procrastination snowball effect. When I'm in a procrastination wave, I also tend to procrastinate regarding meditation. But that's an insight aside. 

So what works for you, in keeping a long-term quality meditation practice? (Of course, with the natural swing of any practice, just to manage expectations)

Thank you for your time :x

@Barbara I would say find a teacher, or better yet, go to something like Isha Kriya (Sadhguru's program) where they teach you a specific practice in person.

I spent years doing robotic meditation where I wasn't sure if I was getting results, but in hindsight I should have just bit the bullet and gone to a reputable teacher in person.

A guru's grace is incredibly important, and not often discussed. If you look at the history of popular teachers like Mooji and Rupert Spira, both received grace on their path and you can see it as a turning point in their spiritual journey's. 

@Raptorsin7 I meditate using Vipassana method. I learned it in a vipassana retreat and I had a monk teaching there. It was really nice to have great guidance tbh and I do understand what you mean regarding guru's grace. My teacher certainly had that. I miss it. :)

But you say to have a teacher who guides permanently or just to teach once?

I'll definitely check Isha Kriya. Thanks!

Just now, Barbara said:

@Raptorsin7 I meditate using Vipassana method. I learned it in a vipassana retreat and I had a monk teaching there. It was really nice to have great guidance tbh and I do understand what you mean regarding guru's grace. My teacher certainly had that. I miss it. :)

But you say to have a teacher who guides permanently or just to teach once?

I'll definitely check Isha Kriya. Thanks!

I think that counts, so maybe you can ignore what I said. 

I would say maybe you could find another technique, or maybe go back to the same or similar vipassana teacher and ask about your blocks and see if they can provide guidance.

I know one person here @Salvijus was doing intense self inquiry for a few years I think before learning kriya yoga from one of Sadhgurus isha kriya centers and he dropped self inquiry for sometime because of how profound and effective Kriya yoga was for him.

I don't think you need a teacher permanently, but for the initial practice I think having a teacher is essential. 

@Barbara

My strenght in spirituality and life is that I found happiness from action and I don't need anything else, but just to do that which I am doing at the very moment. Based on what I said I suggest just basic mindfulness around the day and trying to close the gap between meditation and outside of meditation (mindfulness). What is the point of doing anything if that which you do does not increase your overall happiness (acceptance).

Who told you that "others" are real?

@Raptorsin7 I’m kinda resistant to the idea of changing my method. But I’ll look into it,  and the benefits it could bring. Definitely would like to hear @Salvijus take.

16 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

but for the initial practice I think having a teacher is essential. 

I think too. At least for me it was really valuable.

1 hour ago, Barbara said:

how to optimize meditation practice

What do you mean by this? What's your goal?

1 hour ago, Barbara said:

long-term quality meditation practice

This I find a contradiction in terms. Quality meditation is not long-term, it is always just in the moment. Being mindful in the moment. Letting go of expectations, attachments, ideas of what "quality meditation" is in the moment. No past, no future, only the moment.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

meditation is yoga, y-ou o-ptimising g-od a-wareness

there is a dial in consciousness you can turn up in order to look around and see, all this is god

this is called god awareness

just sit there

1. Treat it like a physical training. Do some warm up exercises beforehand (stretching, yoga, qigong, foam roller, etc). If yo do that, you'll have to actually prepare for your practise, not just randomly sitting down whenever you feel like it. Plus these warm up exercises make your body loose and relaxed. It can make your meditation so much better.

2. The satisfaction/enjoyment factor is huge. See Leo's episode about satisfaction meditation. Do you enjoy your practise? Do you find joy every single time you sit down? How do you feel afterwards?

3. Think of meditation as the most important part of your day and treat it as such (I know it's easier said than done, but still). 

4. Get some books and study them. Leo has some nices ones on his booklist, but you can also check out Culadasa's The Mind Illuminated. It's a dense book, but still easy to read and it has every single important (and less important) detail that you'll ever need to know about meditation.

Have a dedicated space just for meditation. If you can be so fortune to dedicate a whole room to the practice that is even more ideal. Make it comfortable, inviting, get some plants, a nice cushion and blanket. You can also add any beings who inspire you to the area. Eg. Buddha. 

Don't meditate on your sofa or your bed. Try to have a space that's ONLY for meditation. It will make the practice more attractive and will automatically put your mind in the right mode, which I find also helps you stay more mindful throughout the day.

and to second @nistake prepare your body before hand. A core part of yoga is meditation. Asana and pranayama are designed to prepare the body and mind for deeper meditation states. Release the tension and stress from the body so the mind can relax. It is  a lot more satisfying that way. Do concious breathing before you do your meditation technique, like pranayama in yoga or simply conciously connecting to the breath. Again, this stills the mind and allows for more effective and enjoyable meditation. 

If you just sit down robotically without treating the practice with some respect, it's easy to become dissatisfied with it.

Edited by Spence94

It seems like you’re still operating in the paradigm that meditation means sitting practice. There is far more to be done outside of your daily sits. Bhikkhu Candana does a good job of discussing this. 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

@Gili Trawangan I meant quality practice! Meditation is as it flows, any attachment to a previous or imagination is detrimental. 

@nistake Thank you so much for your answer! 

On 05/03/2022 at 6:20 PM, nistake said:

1. Treat it like a physical training. Do some warm up exercises beforehand (stretching, yoga, qigong, foam roller, etc). If yo do that, you'll have to actually prepare for your practise, not just randomly sitting down whenever you feel like it. Plus these warm up exercises make your body loose and relaxed. It can make your meditation so much better.

That's really great advice. I started implementing it already and I see so much difference. It used to take me 5-10 minutes at the beginning of a session just to relax the body entirely, and only then I would have unlocked the ability to concentrate and bend the mind as I aim to, and this shortens that immensely. I don't know if that's odd for others but I function that way :D

On 05/03/2022 at 6:20 PM, nistake said:

3. Think of meditation as the most important part of your day and treat it as such (I know it's easier said than done, but still). 

Hm I see. I meditate twice a day, but maybe I should try to make that one time only just to kinda reset and see how it works. Btw when do you meditate?

@Barbara Glad I could help! It's natural that your mind is more relaxed and focused if your body is also relaxed. They're not two, separate "things".

About timing, well, you'll have to experiment. Personally, I meditate twice a day, one session in the morning, one in the afternoon.