Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WiseOldOwl

Could a Stage Yellow Political Think Tank Change the World?

12 posts in this topic

As I'm sure anyone who has studied spiral dynamics would agree, our society is largely stuck in tier 1 - mostly blue, orange, and green.  And the mutual loathing that has arisen between the factions is having a very negative impact on society.  If tier 2 people had control of the world, the COVID pandemic would already be over.  If tier 2 people had control of the world, global warming would still probably be an issue, but much less of one.  If tier 2 people had control of the world, the education system would be teaching kids how to think for themselves, how to question everything (i.e. see the world objectively), and preparing them for success in the real world instead of manufacturing wage slaves via rote memorization and a hive mind mentality.

I believe that if a stage yellow political think tank could be orchestrated, it would have the potential to change the world.  (I say stage yellow even though turquoise is also tier 2 because once a person reaches turquoise, they probably have less than no interest in such things as politics).  But back to the point, similar to the way that Don Beck and his students tried and succeeded to some degree to improve relations between Israel and Palestine (until financial issues and geopolitical complexities derailed their efforts), I believe a similar holistic approach could be taken to solve much of the world's problems (regarding healthcare, the economy, education, climate change, etc.) and to create a better world.

The million dollar question is how would one even begin to put together such a think tank and sustain it long enough for it to positively impact society?  What form would this think tank take?  A new political party?  A non-profit organization?  Is such a solution untenable due to the never-ending roadblocks and opposition it would face from tier 1 stages?  Anyone with thoughts or comments feel free to chime in.

Edited by WiseOldOwl
added some basic clarification text

@WiseOldOwl flush this idea out! 

Clearly the leadership in the world, it is to the point that can we even call them "leaders"?

It's time for radical change and yet we need new modals and so I like your train of thought.

I'd love to see on this forum, us coming together to focus on ideas we agree on. Essentially, pick a point that you resonate on and build off of that, and in turn, an interesting collectively dialogue and construction could occur. This could be a game changer.

I'll reflect on what you have said and I'll say more in time. 

Edited by Johnny Galt

Thanks @Johnny Galt - I look foward to any additional insights you may have.

I will say that I stand corrected on one thing: I think the think tank may also need a few stage green thinkers (or people with elements of green and yellow - after all, most people aren't solidly only one color).  In the @Leo Gura video/podcast "Spiral Dynamics: Stage Yellow" (highly recommended to all who haven't watched it by the way), he mentions that one of the limitations of yellow is that people in stage yellow can sometimes come across as a bit cold and distant where their head is constantly in models and theory and problem solving.  Having stage green thinkers might help add some much-needed emotion and heart and empathy to the equation to create a more sustainable balance.  After all, it's not enough to just come up with solutions.  Those solutions have to be sold to a stage one dominated society.  And to do that, yellow has to be able to masterfully speak the language of stage 1 (which it's capable of doing when it steps away from the systems thinking for a moment and is reminded of its need to do so).

Edited by WiseOldOwl

If you have people that can present information in a way others can accept, get the resources together to do it and the political will or other supporting organizations on board. If you are basing this off Leo's model, then use the model as a map to reach the groups on it. Treat them all as important but more importantly how they relate to each other.

It is the relationships between these stages that can most easily be altered or tweaked, rather than the nature or the weight of many individual organizations and people in them. Finally it's not enough to have the solutions, even the resources for the solutions, you have to be able to take those ideas and disseminate them across the population in ways that meet them where they live, while reaching a large audience and building up enough trust that what you say isn't dismissed out of hand or ignored. For instance using speakers, personalities and charisma.

Alternatively rather than tweaking broad solutions for the relationships between systems or organizations depicted on the spiral dynamics model, you can focus assisting the part of society suffering the most, because even helping those people a bit raises the quality of life present in the country or the planet. Which is where much of charity work is focused for example, making small hard won gains. This would lean into more green thinking but its still very valuable.

I'd suggest you run it as a charity or foundation for tax breaks or donations and start there. 

*Or you can contribute toward things like the environment and addressing over population exclusively, the two biggest threats to our extinction, it depends on your goal.

Edited by BlueOak

@BlueOak Excellent insights.  Finding solutions is the easy part.  The hard part is cutting through a polarized two-party bureaucracy.  The hard part is selling solutions that will be generally accepted by a population that's far too easily influenced by the opinions of others.  The hard part is getting a think tank off the ground in the first place.  Logic alone won't do it.  Most beings are emotional first and logical second.  People do illogical things all the time because their emotions contradict what's logical.  That's where (as you pointed out) the need for charismatic speakers who understand how to speak to people in a way that resonates with their emotions comes into play.

If I did it as a non-profit, I'd have to decide on 501(c)3 or 501(c)4.  The gotcha with c3 is that it can't involve itself in political activism.  The gotcha with c4 is that contributors can't write off their donations.  I agree that such an organization could focus specifically on one or two critical issues (the ones you named are certainly fairly pressing).  But ideally I'm envisioning something more ambitious.  After all, there are already niche organizations that focus on those specific problems.  I'll continue to study on available options.  Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

@WiseOldOwl

It would not change the world. At stage yellow, you understand that people have to work their way through the spiral. Which a think tank cannot do for people. It would be largely denounced by tier 1 people

Of course it could still be valuable. If you’re passionate about it, I’d say go for it. But be careful of falling into the meta-trap of assuming you have all the answers and that you can change people because you are tier 2. That would not be very stage yellow.

Edited by aurum

@aurum Thanks, all excellent points.  The purpose of the think tank wouldn't primarily be to try to change people (at least not directly in the sense of trying to accelerate folks through the spiral)  As you said, a person who's at stage blue (for example) can't instantly jump from blue to turquoise.  They must progress naturally through orange, green, and yellow.

One of its objectives would be to change conditions that would collectively benefit society and hopefully create an environment that promotes progression through the spiral through education and gaining more of a foothold as policy makers.  If I remember correctly, stage yellow people only account for 1% of the adult population (and only have a 5% influence over the world).  I believe that needs to change if our society is to reach its fullest potential and transcend the petty infighting we see in today's world.  We need more tier 2 politicians.  We need more tier 2 companies.  We need more tier 2 general influence.  (But of course, not at the cost of drowining out the other stages, as everyone has something useful to bring to the table.)

Another objective would be to help the different tiers find common ground.  When someone who's stage orange can find common ground with someone who's stage green and stops demonizing them as a "free-spirited hippie who's all about peace and love" and realizes that green's perspective is just as legitimate as theirs, then this helps them to see things from a fresh perspective.  This also helps them to come face to face with the transformational dilemma that separates them from moving up the spiral and helps them to slowly open up to embracing the next stage.

You're also right that such an undertaking could easily face much opposition from those in tier 1.  Planning ahead and figuring out how to present the think tank in a way that's non-threatening and where the anticipated objections from each stage of the spiral could be addressed in a way that speaks to that stage's fears, concerns, and limiting beliefs would be critical.  As far as me having all the answers, that's not a problem.  I don't have any of the answers. :D  But I do have a passionate desire in the limited time I have on planet Earth to leave it in better shape than I found it.

Edited by WiseOldOwl

9 hours ago, aurum said:

@WiseOldOwl

It would not change the world. At stage yellow, you understand that people have to work their way through the spiral. Which a think tank cannot do for people. It would be largely denounced by tier 1 people

Of course it could still be valuable. If you’re passionate about it, I’d say go for it. But be careful of falling into the meta-trap of assuming you have all the answers and that you can change people because you are tier 2. That would not be very stage yellow.

I've seen many stage yellow teachers expanding perception when they do speak or act. Especially with how people relate to the different organizations, individual and structures that exist in life. Spiral Dynamics is an example. I've also found the most personal development when I do this within myself, and the most glaring personal shadows when I resist and don't. 

I completely agree though I don't know better than you how to live your life, and that's why changing people is an uphill battle that I am not qualified to fight, and every time I think I can or do I rightly get burned. Its only how people relate or percieve the world that we can have any hope of influencing in others, like you are doing right here.

All the best.

@aurum

Edited by BlueOak

On 2/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, aurum said:

But be careful of falling into the meta-trap of assuming you have all the answers and that you can change people because you are tier 2. That would not be very stage yellow.

nice 

On 2/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, itachi uchiha said:

world is controlled by rothschild banking family. unless we kick them out , no one is going to change the world even if they are yellow or turqoise. biden/ obama is the puppet of rothschild. when obama speaks it is rothschild speaking

@Leo Gura @Nahm @Roy