Lincisman

Regular practice is the key

17 posts in this topic

Me: But Leo, how do I get laid?

Leo: Practice!

(Conversation in my imagination)

This is just a conversation that I have with myself:

The key to living a good life and getting results is regular practice. That which you do with your mind (where you concentrate your mental resources) on a daily, weekly, monthly basis.

Consistent practice leads to an elevated level of skillfulness in that particular area which then translates into powerful action and results. (Isn’t it the case that the results are what you ultimately want?)

Imagine if you practiced playing guitar (or meditation or any other skill) for 1 – 2 hours every day from age 5.

Imagine you started programming at age 3 and kept doing it regularly for 10, 20 years.

On the other hand, every practice be it good (like reading books) or bad (like watching TV) will lose its effect on your life without doing it consistently.

Hard work- regular practice of worthwhile skills with no immediate results (otherwise it would be fun, therefore - easy)

It is also important that you dedicate a distinct chunk of time to practice to give it the full focus (this is where the Time block planning technique comes into play [the idea of  Cal Newport] )

My life only sucks in those areas where I have not practiced enough. It is bad only to the degree in which I failed to practice that which I need to practice to develop the skill which in turn gives me the power of solving the problem.

Therefore, an essential skill of life and self-actualization is DEVELOPING REGULAR PRACTICE, without it, nothing will change, I will stay the same for the rest of my life

Do you want to become more confident? Develop a regular practice for that- build it into your life.

Do you want to improve your skill of sleeping? Practice! because almost everything that you do is a skill. Hence you can get better at it.  

LET’S BE REAL, YOU CAN NOT DEVELOP YOURSELF WITHOUT REGULAR PRACTICE, MAN.

Leo has been telling you this all along and you only starting to understand the significance of this once you started to think about it on your own.

This is the most complete idea that I have ever come across.

By now my inner monologue has ended. 

My regular practice is meditation and visualization.

What is your regular practice? What do you practice for your career?

Just want to get more full of the scope of how much there is to practice and skill that I do not even consider exist.

Edited by Lincisman

1 hour ago, Lincisman said:

Consistent practice leads to an elevated level of skillfulness in that particular area which then translates into powerful action and results.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Lincisman said:

What is your regular practice? What do you practice for your career?

A the moment I study translation in college with the intent to work in this field in the near future. I spend about 3 hours a day reading, translating and writing in order to improve the languages I'm working with. I translate academic articles, legal documents, newspapers pieces and literature.

With regards to spirituality, I practice Tai Chi, Yoga & Meditation. The time I invest in these practices varies but I hope to do them at least daily.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

I have stop my practice now & I'm so anxious. 

Edited by Twenty

u just realize a key puzzle in this life , friend.

love the practice, love the plateau, understand mastery by george leonard

Great Post. Hit the nail in the head.

Although I am not able to now, I had a consistent 90 minute instrument practice for a long time (atleast 1 month straight).

Twice a day 35 minutes of meditation practice.

Consistent mental practice of maintaining high degree of confidence. (This is just something I keep in mind consistently.)

I am starting to develop my practice in playing drums.

You don't come with the perfect practice right away, that doesn't exist. But you can work on the basics and develop a custom practice from there.

Well, my goal is to play awesome grooves in the drums, and being able to compose different grooves for different parts in a song. So what should i practice? reading drums in music sheets, writing drum patterns  in music sheets, composing drums in music sheets, and, of course, playing. Some mechanical training of technique is also important.

My best practice so far: taking a complex groove that i like and can't play yet. Next breaking it down into simple-practicable patterns. Mastering those simple patterns. Then coming back to the original piece and playing it effortless. That simple procedure requires actually looot of skill.

While you do that practice, composing grooves for your music should be increasingly effortless.

@Human Mint I also played the drums for a while. Definitely picking that back up when I get the chance. Never learned to read sheet music though, but that practice sounds effective as fuck.

I'd say also film yourself playing extremely simple patterns and try to really get in the pocket. Thats more of a feeling exercise, but the simplest patterns can sound amazing when your timing is on point. 

9 hours ago, MarkusR said:

I'd say also film yourself playing extremely simple patterns and try to really get in the pocket. Thats more of a feeling exercise, but the simplest patterns can sound amazing when your timing is on point. 

@MarkusR That's right, or just recording the groove in a daw. I am not doing that yet but i'll need to if i want to sound real clean

@MarkusR There is another popular practice which is just improvising and then finding those weak spots and working them out isolated

Keeping the last theme of the drumming world, the domain of practice i've choosed, here is a video of practice and how to develop mastery from a drummer pov. I think this talk will benefit anyone who watch it, the principles can be applied to any discipline.

min. 4:54 "You never really lose motivation, you only lose sight of what you want."

Edited by Human Mint

On 2/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, Lincisman said:

My life only sucks in those areas where I have not practiced enough.

Thank you so much for this post.

Good luck on your journey!

"It's all practice." -Devin Kelly

"Practice; a process and a study for acquiring insight." -Devin Kelley.

I think this is too simple.

Mindset matters a lot. 

If in my core I don't believe I can improve, I won't improve.

@Chrisd You need both. Mindset and Practice. One without the other won't take you very far.

Don't revolve practice around your life.

Revolve your life around practice.