Bernardo Carleial

A day in the life of an I.C.U Nurse (+18)

38 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Samps said:

@Bernardo Carleial But the boosters don't stop transmission a fact which even the CDC is finally having to admit:

"CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said that Covid-19 vaccines are no longer effective at preventing transmission of the virus.

The director for the CDC publicly acknowledged in a CNN interview that the COVID-19 vaccine is not effective at preventing transmission of the virus."

You're right, and I take back my argument on that.

However, it's undeniable the effect these vaccines are having on providing us with enough antibodies to prevent the lethality of this virus, and, on a collective level, helping us to achieve herd immunity in the long run.

As Anthony Fauci said:

"Omicron, with its extraordinary, unprecedented degree of efficiency of transmissibility, will ultimately find just about everybody, those who have been vaccinated and boosted would get exposed. Some, maybe a lot of them, will get infected but will very likely, with some exceptions, do reasonably well in the sense of not having hospitalization and death. In contrast, those who are not vaccinated are going to get the brunt of the severe aspect of this"

Here is the article:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/11/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

26 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Are you another one of those who doesn't understand the concept of probabilistic preventative measures? Things like seatbelts, government safety inspections, condoms?

Seat belts, government safety inspections and condoms have been proven throughout their long histories to be safe and effective. So I am totally in favour of these measures. Not so convinced about the safety and efficacy of the vaccines though. Why is it for instance that the most vaccinated countries on earth ie Israel, Gibraltar have the biggest spikes in hospitalizations? The covid narrative is collapsing as we are getting more data. 

if we look at the countries that are not vaccinated, like Nigeria, we see something remarkable. Nigeria has just 14 deaths per million people, while the United States has 2366 deaths. 
According to "Our World in Data," Nigeria has less than 1.3 percent of its population fully vaccinated, and they are doing 100 times better than we are. With 99 percent of its population fully vaccinated, Gibraltar has 2900 deaths per million. Few areas on Earth are doing worse.
India has only 315 deaths per million, and they are doing 10 times better than the US or Gibraltar, yet India is only 33% fully vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Bernardo Carleial said:

You're right, and I take back my argument on that.

However, it's undeniable the effect these vaccines are having on providing us with enough antibodies to prevent the lethality of this virus, and, on a collective level, helping us to achieve herd immunity in the long run.

As Anthony Fauci said:

"Omicron, with its extraordinary, unprecedented degree of efficiency of transmissibility, will ultimately find just about everybody, those who have been vaccinated and boosted would get exposed. Some, maybe a lot of them, will get infected but will very likely, with some exceptions, do reasonably well in the sense of not having hospitalization and death. In contrast, those who are not vaccinated are going to get the brunt of the severe aspect of this"

Here is the article:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/11/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

Sorry Bernardo but this is not undeniable.  Two doses of Pfizer’s COVID vaccine — initially referred to as a full regimen — “offers very limited protection, if any” against the Omicron variant, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said during an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”

That’s a far cry from Bourla’s previous claim that the two-dose regimen was “100% effective.”

When a third, or booster dose, is administered the vaccine offers only “reasonable protection” against hospitalization and death from Omicron and “less protection against infection,” Bourla said.

"So many of my liberal and progressive friends are with me on this and they do not want to say it out loud because they're scared to be called anti-vaxx, science denier or be smeared as a Trumper".

2 hours ago, Samps said:

Why is it for instance that the most vaccinated countries on earth ie Israel, Gibraltar have the biggest spikes in hospitalizations?

14 percent of Israelis over 20 are unvaccinated, yet they account for 50 percent of serious cases

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/serious-covid-cases-spike-as-omicron-wave-engulfs-israel-1.10524711

The vaccines work. 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

17 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Not with Omicron. As of Jan. 1, Omicron represented more than 95% of U.S. COVID cases, according to estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Because some of Omicron’s 50 mutations are known to evade antibody protection, because more than 30 of those mutations are to the spike protein used as an immunogen by the existing vaccines, and because there have been mass Omicron outbreaks in heavily vaccinated populations, scientists are highly uncertain the existing vaccines can stop it from spreading or from preventing hospitalisation. 

As far back as 16 October, the Economist published an article claiming that most Covid-19 patients in British and European hospitals are unvaccinated.

Why is the virus raging again in Israel, the second most vaccinated and boosted country on the planet? Why is there no statistical difference between virus infection rates in highly vaccinated versus lower uptake areas in the U.S.? Why do the unvaccinated have the lowest infection rate according to disturbing newly revealed data from Scotland? I could go on and on. 

5 hours ago, Bernardo Carleial said:

Can someone explain to me what "Comfort Care" means?

Typically, "comfort care" is a term used when the patient and family want only to control symptoms and pain at the end of life, such as when someone signs up for hospice care 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Bernardo Carleial

6 hours ago, Bernardo Carleial said:

I got OMICRON, and it wasn't that bad for me, but I also took into account that I already took two shots of AstraZeneca, I'm relatively young and I'm not part of the risk group...

They gave you AstraZeneca, instead of Pfizer? 

4 hours ago, Samps said:

if we look at the countries that are not vaccinated, like Nigeria, we see something remarkable. Nigeria has just 14 deaths per million people, while the United States has 2366 deaths. 
According to "Our World in Data," Nigeria has less than 1.3 percent of its population fully vaccinated, and they are doing 100 times better than we are. With 99 percent of its population fully vaccinated, Gibraltar has 2900 deaths per million. Few areas on Earth are doing worse.
India has only 315 deaths per million, and they are doing 10 times better than the US or Gibraltar, yet India is only 33% fully vaccinated.

That's because of undercounting my friend.

India doesn't have a very robust infrastructure to keep track of the number deaths, specially after the collapse of the health and burial system, after they got out from their nation-wide lockdown, and went through their next wave, I don't remember if it was the second or third.

In the case of Nigeria, which struggles a lot with corruption, the authorities will have no problem in keeping deaths unrecorded:

"...in Africa it is only Egypt, South Africa, Tunisia, Algeria, Cape Verde, São Tomé and Príncipe, Seychelles and Mauritius that have what are called functioning, compulsory and universal civil registration systems - known as CRVS systems - which record deaths."

BBC News

https://www.dw.com/en/india-coronavirus-death-toll/a-57338733

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-55674139

Brazil almost went down that path with Bolsonaro(our current president), he was trying to meddle in the way the Ministry of Health reports COVID deaths, but our institutions were too conscious to allow for "that kind" of corruption to happen, so the supreme court decided that the Covid death rates should be reported by the local governments, and being compiled later and released to the public. Which explains why India has a lot more number of cases than Brazil, and yet we surpass them in number of deaths(we are second only to the U.S. ?).

"Our World in Data" is a very good a trustworthy source of information,  however, they get their source from the countries official records and then file into a huge database, if the governments decided to count differently,  they'll have a lot of difficulty to fact-check...

Edited by Bernardo Carleial

34 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Bernardo Carleial

They gave you AstraZeneca, instead of Pfizer? 

@Danioover9000 Yes. Brazil decided to go for AstraZeneca, they represent the majority of our vaccines here, Pfizer came only later,  and it is more for booster shots

Edited by Bernardo Carleial

10 minutes ago, Ananta said:

Typically, "comfort care" is a term used when the patient and family want only to control symptoms and pain at the end of life, such as when someone signs up for hospice care 

Oh, now I get it... thanks @Ananta

1 minute ago, Bernardo Carleial said:

Oh, now I get it... thanks @Ananta

No problem ? 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just want to say it's absolutely refreshing to have a debate on this extremely sensitive topic without getting into ad hominin attacks and name calling. Thanks to the moderators and Bernardo with whom I had an interesting discussion. On most forums I would have been deleted at some point. 

I'm not saying I know everything and there were some interesting counter points raised. I'm just trying to make sense of a very fluid and fast moving situation which is affecting everyone. 

20 minutes ago, Samps said:

I'm not saying I know everything and there were some interesting counter points raised. I'm just trying to make sense of a very fluid and fast moving situation which is affecting everyone. 

Yeah, I don't know everything either. I actually have a husband that is extremely against the vaccine, but I'm fully vaxxed with booster, lol. 

It's funny because I never talk about it at home. Yet, he talks about it (Covid, vaccines, etc) every chance he gets and I'm the nurse. ?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

This is truly one of the saddest situations I’ve seen in my life.

All of the ICU nurses are true medical soldiers. They all must have such incredible mental fortitude to go through this kind of horror every single day for years. I really don’t think that I could do it. All of these nurses out there throughout the whole world deserve a massive raise and a massive amount of extra employee benefits and awards for everything that they have done.

With omicron, vaxed or not we’re reaching heard immunity and mandates are coming down.

1 hour ago, Mannyb said:

With omicron, vaxed or not we’re reaching heard immunity and mandates are coming down.

well maybe some lab now creates an even worse pandemic?