Julian gabriel

Does art control it's artists? Do ideas have people?

25 posts in this topic

Whenever I make art I feel like I am just receiving it from somewhere/someone else. 

I can edit the art later of course, but the editing doesn't have the same magic as the initial creation. 

Because of this lack of control and understanding over/of the process of creation of the best art I have created, I don't feel like I can master the process of creation since it feels like it isn't even me who is creating it, I have no idea how it happens. 

How do I master my art and ideas if I feel like its just a gift from somewhere else? and I'm just along for the ride. 

Edited by Julian gabriel

For me, the most important part of being an artist, is improving on what the artist is capable of and can control, and that's mostly the editing process. The more I apply whatever art skills I have, mediums, I improve over time. This is mostly 80% of processing art is. The beginning 20% is intuition from the external world, ie other art works and other sources of inspiration, it's received by GOD, source, universe whatever you want to call it. 

Dude, I totally get it.  I live for the inspirational moment, too, when creativity is at it's highest and it feels like the art is just creating itself and all you are is a vessel for some divine process, where you spill your guts out in some way and how it reflects back to you, and what it means and just totally!  You're a true artist!  That's the process.

39 minutes ago, Loba said:

Dude, I totally get it.  I live for the inspirational moment, too, when creativity is at it's highest and it feels like the art is just creating itself and all you are is a vessel for some divine process, where you spill your guts out in some way and how it reflects back to you, and what it means and just totally!  You're a true artist!  That's the process.

@Loba

Have you noticed any similarities between the different moments of creation? 

For me it seems to happen mostly when I'm alone at night or slightly scared when in the dark. 

I think the fear of being outside of my comfort zone forces me to be more attentive to my own mind and in turn more creative maybe. 

1 hour ago, Julian gabriel said:

How do I master my art and ideas if I feel like its just a gift from somewhere else?

@Julian gabriel You are in co creative dance with yourself. 

@Julian gabriel Yes, actually, I have noticed that I am at my most creative when I feel there is no other choice but to learn a new way out of the situation and it happens on the fly, like I just observe it create itself and I would also like for it to have some new moves.

I know what you mean. I think getting out of your own way and making space for new ideas and creativity helps. This usually can be achieved a number of ways. Self reflection, and usually putting a bit of skin into something helps me. For instance buying something nice like some expensive paints and art supplies. I'll appreciate it more and use it more if I had to work for it and thus I find myself being more creative. 

There is nothing but art .. otherwise Creation.

You can't escape it .. it's infinite .. never ending.

I opened my carl jung book on a random page today and found this 

download.png

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao

15 hours ago, lmfao said:

I opened my carl jung book on a random page today and found this 

download.png

Wait, creativity = insanity? Or does it mean something else?

it means: give up the will to control!

at least to a certain degree, you can’t control anything really you need to accept that an artist is always co-creating in tune or off-tune with the chi. if you play music it’s mostly not you but your instrument, if you paint it’s the canvas which is patient and the flow of your brush the texture of paint. art sometimes is not more than scribbled along, not more than a fingertip on a momentum screen noticing the beauty of the moment or it’s uglyness.

if it’s art or not sometimes is only decided long after its gone.

Edited by mememe

@mememe

9 hours ago, mememe said:

at least to a certain degree, you can’t control anything really you need to accept that an artist is always co-creating in tune or off-tune with the chi. if you play music it’s mostly not you but your instrument, if you paint it’s the canvas which is patient and the flow of your brush the texture of paint. art sometimes is not more than scribbled along, not more than a fingertip on a momentum screen noticing the beauty of the moment or it’s uglyness.

Does editing count as art as well?

Art is consciousness comming through. It needs a body to manifest itself in various forms (dancing, painting...). Artists are vehicles channeling certain frequencies. Enjoy the process. :)

@mememe

19 hours ago, mememe said:

But you still need to control what you're doing while making art.

@Julian gabriel

8 hours ago, Julian gabriel said:

@Danioover9000 I don't agree, why do you say that?

The main issue, is at some point in an artist's earlier timeline, they sucked at whatever field of art they are involved in. It's one thing viewing a painting or comic book, but another thing when it comes to making the pieces. For example, if an artist has never drawn with intention before or have drawn very few times, it's hard getting the sketch right, the perspective right, the proportions and divisions right, the lighting and shading right, the values, the gradations, the colours, the figure down right. Sometimes, you can have a very visual mind and can remember every detail of that object, but you can lack the skills to get that detail down to paper. It takes hard work, training, and intentionally placing your focus down to every little action you take, in executing the lines down onto paper. There are hundreds of books about drawing, which have exercises in them, and sometimes it's not enough to do them daily, at an easy pace, but I sometimes have to modify those exercises to suit a specific skills I want, and challenge my hand eye coordination, like getting better at hatching, cross hatching, contour, cross contours, shading, gradation, dotting, circling and so on at unusual directions.

Another example is music. It's one thing listening to music, but another playing the instruments. At one point in the timeline, a person had to play each part of that instrument with placed attention to every detail of the action, until eventually your mind builds up sufficient representations of that instrument and sounds it makes that it can relax a bit and play, and enter the flow state. But until you do, your mind/body has to integrate that instrument down enough that the technical skills can sustain flow.

This is what I mean with controlling the editing process, the technical aspects of art. That's controllable, and beneficial.

On 01/02/2022 at 7:02 PM, Danioover9000 said:

@lmfao

Wait, creativity = insanity? Or does it mean something else?

It's a distinction between neurosis and psychosis, I would have to check context of it. Both are in ""the unconscious"" in some way. Maybe the quote is saying that deep enough into the unconscious, there exists things which can't be "integrated" without injury or struggle with the ego. Or maybe it's even suggesting that it's impossible to integrate them into the ego, and that the struggle will be perpetual 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao

37 minutes ago, lmfao said:

It's a distinction between neurosis and psychosis, I would have to check context of it. Both are in ""the unconscious"" in some way. Maybe the quote is saying that deep enough into the unconscious, there exists things which can't be "integrated" without injury or struggle with the ego. Or maybe it's even suggesting that it's impossible to integrate them into the ego, and that the struggle will be perpetual 

Yes, the unconscious serves the function of storing vast amounts of information that is acquired through life experiences, direct experiences of doing stuff at every domain of life you have to some degree. Because information is so vast and gigantic, the mind has to distort and generalize to filter out relevant to irrelevant information, in order to maintain a sense of self to some degree. This is also where we find lower levels of intuition, aka the specialization type of intuition that forwards other pieces of information to the conscious mind undertaking the relevant process to an outcome.

I also forgot to mention, that art really is relative and largely depends on the person's stage of development and value systems they have, their cognitive and moral development, their personality typing, states of consciousness and again life experiences so far in each of their domains of life. More loosely relevant is the hero's journey the person is at in each domain of life they are journeying through. All of this does shape art and creates hierarchies that scale technically and broadly with varying degree of value per creator and per consumer of whatever specific art field they are viewing and participating in.