ConsciousOwl10

Is Sam Harris Really Anti-Spiritual?

106 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Windappreciator said:

are we

It's the entire premise behind the scientific method.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

5 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

also the "intellectual dark web" broke up because of the pandemic, they won't even go on a same podcast now

So the pandemic was worthwhile after all :P

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

It's the entire premise behind the scientific method.

not originally though, right?

On 1/24/2022 at 3:46 AM, softlyblossoming said:

@Carl-Richard & @The0Self Thanks for your answers to my last query, guys :x

@Tanz I feel like my ego is in a constant battle with itself to construct a reason to stay damaged and a to do list to heal up. However, when I allow myself to feel healed (positive emotions like peace and joy) now, without "earning them" in any sort of conventional (materialistic) way, I feel like some kind of crazed spiritual vigilante*, sometimes downright evil, and sometimes find myself in an altered state akin to what I imagine "communing with the devil" might feel like.

Because it is so difficult to maintain my self-image as a 'good, honest, virtuous and morally righteous person' when I let myself feel good for no reason at all, I wonder if what I'm experiencing is a form of cognitive dissonance due to this action (choosing to feel good/healed/happy anywayclashing with my core belief (I have to act 'good, honest, virtuous and morally righteous' to deserve to feel good/healed/happy). The questions I have for you, as you appear to be familiar with this sort of thing, are:

• Am I using my self-image to fill an unfillable void? Is that why mirroring my self-image in my actions is leading me on an unending hamster wheel of impermanent psychological healing? Am I even really healing any of these wounds if the healing never lasts?
  • Is the ultimate form of healing from one's psychological wounds healing now, for no reason at all, and with no actions needed to heal further or remain healed? If not, what is it, and could you describe a little as to how you managed it?
  • If I don't try to fill my inner void with anything anymore, will it lead to long lasting psychological healing, or further damage?
  • Is the end result of 'feeling good without any reason to' spiritual enlightenment (no self image)?
  • Do you have any ideas with regard to what could be going on with me, that you'd like to share?

*Vigilante — noun — a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.

Thank you for any input,

~Robert

• Am I using my self-image to fill an unfillable void? Is that why mirroring my self-image in my actions is leading me on an unending hamster wheel of impermanent psychological healing? Am I even really healing any of these wounds if the healing never lasts?
    We work so hard to construct our reality that the thought of letting go of the self its scarier than accepting things. 
  • Is the ultimate form of healing from one's psychological wounds healing now, for no reason at all, and with no actions needed to heal further or remain healed? If not, what is it, and could you describe a little as to how you managed it?
    Its cliche but deep self love is the answer for all the questions. Things exist together perfectly as they are, wrapping your head around deep acceptance that the present state of the world that exist around you was created for you to find LOVE.  

• If I don't try to fill my inner void with anything anymore, will it lead to long lasting psychological healing, or further damage?
    There was never a void to begin with, the ego created it for you to feel what lacking feels like

• Is the end result of 'feeling good without any reason to' spiritual enlightenment (no self image)?
    The end result is to destroy the self then reconstruct it in every way your imagination seems fit on all spectrums

• Do you have any ideas with regard to what could be going on with me, that you'd like to share?
    I don't think anyone can answer that question other than yourself. Generally I ask people to start with the wounds their parents imprinted on them because their egos didn't know what to do with it.  The Godhead created another version of itself through you.  

On 1/23/2022 at 11:21 AM, Whatever said:

Telepathically communicated doesnt ring true, then again I dont know what you mean by it. First years I was just desperate to get into that state of nothingness since I viewes thing thru non dual lense (read Tolle and stuff back then). I kinda forgot about love part, let alone becoming human part and loving others, tought that was just unfortunate mistake that I came back to be me and was obsessed with non duality and tried to tune my experience toward that direction.

Then after some years was more on a bliss trip as I had intense kundalini energy going for few years and tought I need to purge all impurities out of me, became very sensitive to everything and everyone. Got obsessed with getting back to that stage of love.

Then some years of doing nothing and "purging" went by and I found myself quite burnt out and jaded on suffering. For years now I couldnt have fooled myself with Tolle's kind of views regarding suffering. God was not great nor was everything His will. He was actually very easily stomped on and forgotten, ridiciloud and crusified in suffering others. Scapegoated and killed in order to remain cathartic peace. A lot like in here peoples problems are seen as "so called problems" and their suffering is ridiculed and selfhood scapegoated rather than being a midstop for love to be shared.

Growing to see these victim producing, scapegoat reguiring dynamics in world and in myself is whats been pulling me out of self centeredness.

Started to see Jesus's story differently too. Dont think he was promoting solely some states of non dual awareness. 

He obiviously didnt come to be sacrificed to change God's attitude toward human but human attitude toward God. He allowed himself to be scapegoated and crucified to reveal to us that God (love) is complitelly non violent and reguires no sacrifices, revenge or blood. Bringing responsibility of violence projected to will of God back to us. Showing that its God who suffers as human, with human abd among human. And everything we do to for other we so to him. 

So to say rape is love and everything happening in world is will of God is obivious perversion of love to me. This can only been perverted in this way by stopping to be in relationship with God and claiming Godhood to oneself, assuming that ones own will is God's will. This is envy in essence "I want to become you even if it costs my selfhood". Envy I think is perversion of "I want to follow you and become like you".

Anyway, with these things seen im challenged to become the endstop to reactivity and competitive, envious desire that leads to scapegoating, sacrified violence and sacrifice. Dynamics present in myself, forgiven and now challenged to do the same myself to others 

This was truly a profound post ?

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

"..and they were alleging mostly that I was a Materialist, and that I'm somehow dogmatically opposed to the idea that mind might play some role in defining reality, or parts of it.. but that's just not true..." - Sam Harris

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

On 1/22/2022 at 6:35 PM, Leo Gura said:

But the truth is you ain't woke unless you realize all of reality is just your dream -- especially stuff like science and even Buddhism. All of Buddhism is your dream. This is the thing Sam Harris fundamentally doesn't get. Mediation and no-self isn't God-realization.

Sam Harris is just your dream... but tell me more about what he (your dream) fundamentally doesn't get.  

27 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

"..and they were alleging mostly that I was a Materialist, and that I'm somehow dogmatically opposed to the idea that mind might play some role in defining reality, or parts of it.. but that's just not true..." - Sam Harris

He isn't a naive realist. All neuroscientists have to concede to some level of constructivism (it's in their models). Still, constructivism is compatible with materialism, and from the way he talks about the brain (at least most of the time), he sounds like a materialist.

4 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

He isn't a naive realist. All neuroscientists have to defer to some level of constructivism. Still, constructivism is compatible with materialism, and from the way he talks about the brain (at least most of the time), he sounds like a materialist.

Any time anyone talks about the material world as if it's not 'just a dream' they sound like a materialist.  You and I sound like materialists right now, because we are talking in a way that implies there is a material 'me' and a material 'you'.. and a material 'Sam Harris' who talks about brains. 

3 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

Any time anyone talks about the material world as if it's not 'just a dream' they sound like a materialist.  You and I sound like materialists right now, because we are talking in a way that implies there is a material 'me' and a material 'you'.. and a material 'Sam Harris' who talks about brains. 

Well let's say both of us started confronting Rupert Spira by saying "surely you must agree that 1st-person experience/introspection can't tell you anything about the nature of the universe" (which Sam did), that would surely be a bit more indicative of a materialistic bias than merely talking about it.

@Carl-Richard if you think there is a 'both of us who can start confronting Rupert Spira', then you share the same materialistic bias.  Do you see?  To think there is a material person named Sam Harris who is a 'materialist'.. this in itself is indicative of the very same 'materialist' bias. 

It's like saying.. "In my dream, the dream character Sam Harris didn't fully understand that he was just my dream.. what a fool."

Just now, Mason Riggle said:

@Carl-Richard if you think there is a 'both of us who can start confronting Rupert Spira', then you share the same materialistic bias.  Do you see?  To think there is a material person named Sam Harris who is a 'materialist'.. this in itself is indicative of the very same 'materialist' bias. 

It's like saying.. "In my dream, the dream character Sam Harris didn't fully understand that he was just my dream.. what a fool."

Do you see that speaking is different than confronting?

@Carl-Richard

2 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Do you see that speaking is different than confronting?

no.  How did Harris confront Spira?? Didn't he speak to him? Wasn't the 'speaking' the 'confrontation'? 

1 minute ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Carl-Richard

no.  How did Harris confront Spira?? Didn't he speak to him? Wasn't the 'speaking' the 'confrontation'? 

Oh stop it. He was selling materialism, and Spira didn't buy it. Am I selling materialism to you now?

@Carl-Richard do you think Sam Harris and Rupert Spira exist, materially.. or are they just your dream? 

Just now, Carl-Richard said:

Oh stop it. He was selling materialism, and Spira didn't buy it. Am I selling materialism to you now?

You're not selling it to me.. but you are admitting to it.  

Just saying 'Spira didn't buy it', is an admission that Harris' sale of materialism is valid... it's an admission that you think there is a 'material Ruper Spira' who buys things.    

@Carl-Richard do you think Sam Harris and Rupert Spira exist, materially.. or are they just your dream? 

I believe that all experiential phenomena, whether it be conceptions or perceptions of Sam Harrises or Rupert Spirases, is all mind, yes.

Just saying 'Spira didn't buy it', is an admission that Harris' sale of materialism is valid... it's an admission that you think there is a 'material Ruper Spira' who buys things.    

No. I think it's a Spira made out of mind that buys things. Spira is a formed being (he is not formless), but form is not matter.