omar30

Why does God require faith ?

30 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

The notion of faith is deeper than this, I would say.

Faith is a tool for grounding, what you decide to put your faith in is up to you. It could be money, fame, sex, religion, science and many other aspects of reality...etc, etc.

Ultimately, one needs to have faith in the highest aspect of reality .. which is Truth itself.

I'm talking about the religious concept of faith based on St. Augustine. It explicitly places doctrine over experience (dogmatism over mysticism):

Modern understandings of faith depend heavily on Augustine of Hippo, who defines it (De trin. 13.2.5) as fides quae and fides qua, belief in the body of Christian doctrine and the faith which takes place in the heart and mind of the believer.

https://www.classics.ox.ac.uk/invention-faith-pistis-and-fides-early-churches-and-later-roman-empire

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

16 hours ago, Tim R said:

Faith means "leting go". 

To have faith in God doesn't mean that you should believe in God, it means the exact opposite.

It means to let God go, let your images and beliefs about God go. "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image."

Faith is also the attitude of Love. And to love is to let go. 

Oh my gosh I love this! Thanks for sharing :) 

On 12/28/2021 at 5:31 AM, Tim R said:

Faith means "leting go". 

To have faith in God doesn't mean that you should believe in God, it means the exact opposite.

It means to let God go, let your images and beliefs about God go. "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image."

Faith is also the attitude of Love. And to love is to let go. 

spot on

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

Faith- "I don't know what the F is going on, but I know it's gonna be Good." Peace that passes understanding, what you might call dumb luck, God works in mysterious ways, all that. 

23 hours ago, Nahm said:

Three cups rockin, peanut long been lost.

??

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

On 28.12.2021 at 11:26 AM, omar30 said:

can meditation work without faith? 

if you still sit down meditating without faith, it probably works without faith in the beginning.

can faith work without meditation?

faith is the realization that existence wants you to make it, the deck has always been stacked in your favor, don't know this then you won't make it

25 minutes ago, mememe said:

can faith work without meditation?

I have a new meaning for it which is DEVOTION if you love something bad enough you will devote your time to it.

Love ➜ Faith ➜ Devotion

the ego has no faith. He believes that everything depends on him, that without his constant attention and work, the worst will happen, death. fight, be attentive, anxious. having faith is the opposite. Everything is as it should be, let it go, stop fighting

4 hours ago, omar30 said:

Love ➜ Faith ➜ Devotion

i like this very much.

i‘m a bad meditator though xD still have faith in it, is that weird? i‘m an undevoted meditator, devotion would be a logical consequence.