Hardkill

What are good examples of too much regulation?

10 posts in this topic

So, I just recently rewatched the vid on Stage Green and when Leo mentioned the excesses of this stage, he said that one of those excesses is overregulation of the government on the economy and businesses. Now, I know that some people on this forum have said that too much regulation causes inefficiency in businesses and the economy. However, I don't buy that. I actually think that more regulation the government implements the more efficiency businesses and the economy become because more regulation always creates greater financial stability and greater safety for everyone in the long-run. 

I could be wrong, but I'd like to know how overregulation could ever happen and what serious negative consequences could it cause?

Edited by Hardkill

Current virus situation is good example. harshly regulating daily lives of the entire world in order to prevent average life span from going down by 1 year.

I would call regulation ''too much'' when it is disproportionate to the problem it tackles.

The UK tax system for instance is highly complicated and the govt has been trying for years to simplify it, without success so far. It means you need an army of expensive accountants and tax inspectors, lawyers, auditors etc as ordinary business people can't understand it. 

Too much paperwork and licensing for small businesses for example.

Or...

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Until 2 year ago, we literally had a tax on the sun here in Spain LMFAO

sss.jpg

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

The means-testing of benefits can over-regulate, as it disincentives people getting low paid jobs when they lose benefits at the same rate. Effectively a 100% marginal tax rate. (But then I'm in favour of universal welfare, to declare my bias!). 

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Too much paperwork and licensing for small businesses for example.

Or...

8 hours ago, silene said:

The UK tax system for instance is highly complicated and the govt has been trying for years to simplify it, without success so far. It means you need an army of expensive accountants and tax inspectors, lawyers, auditors etc as ordinary business people can't understand it. 

So, with too much regulation, things would move slower than we would want them to, but when and how has overregulation ever caused a lot of people to suffer greatly let alone cause a national or global crisis?

Edited by Hardkill

Taxis

In major cities, there are a certain number of taxi licenses. They are very difficult to get, and when you can get them, they are very expensive. Like in New York, they are hundreds of thousands of dollars per car.

Too much regulation breeds innovation, so we got Uber and Lyft. Even if they have to operate in a semi-illegal state in some places.