Tim R

Metaverse: Future Dystopia?

31 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2021 at 6:35 AM, Preety_India said:

I don't see any damage from Twitter or Facebook. 

In fact Facebook has helped reunite missing people. 

I'm all for supporting mainstream social media 

They are doing a great job. 

They also helped Trump become president the first time and purposefully did experiments on teens to make them depressed to see how they can manipulate young people's emotions.  They have done many great things but also bad things.  

I love the metaverse idea. It just depends what uses one gives it, just like a knife. And even then its not the problem, Its people irresponsability for not controlling themselves and then blaming technology as fckng them up. 

Crypto, metaverse, nft, defi and virtual real state is the future. Dont get fooled around here. This advanced technology has massive benefits short, but specially long term. I dont usually come to the forum because of how bias it is in here. Its toxic. Still with all the dark evil forces, the future is looking golden!

Edited by Kalki Avatar

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. - Jeremiah 33:3

https://open.spotify.com/track/4V0rRwRqhFPxSJb40XmKA1?si=lNN5hNRPTxi6zNzzi9gFqw&utm_source=copy-link

4 hours ago, Kalki Avatar said:

I love the metaverse idea. It just depends what uses one gives it, just like a knife. And even then its not the problem, Its people irresponsability for not controlling themselves and then blaming technology as fckng them up. 

Crypto, metaverse, nft, defi and virtual real state is the future. Dont get fooled around here. This advanced technology has massive benefits short, but specially long term. I dont usually come to the forum because of how bias it is in here. Its toxic. Still with all the dark evil forces, the future is looking golden!

Here's a guy who can't wait to get fully plugged into the Matrix and leave the problematic place called "reality" behind. Good luck with that dude.

Agreed its how we use the tools that makes them bad, but that takes consciousness. We are surrounded by many distractions and lower activities that take more than they give, yet the majority succumb to them because we aren't conscious enough to not be controlled by our primal brains and instincts. 

As our tools evolve and have more power, they also have more power to destroy us. We are already doing a bad job at handling the internet and social media, look at how much division, tribalism its caused and the sky rocketing depression / anxiety the youth are facing. If our consciousness hasn't handled this what about the meta verse? 

From a meta level its ultimately good because maybe we have to go through all this pain and suffering that our technological evolution causes to come to the point we have to evolve our consciousness / ability to have control over ourselves rather than the tools / environment tugging at our primal instincts that destroy us. More and more people are getting into mental health, meditation but is it enough and fast enough..

Metaverse is ego's idea of a perfect world, as far away from reality as possible.

On 11/12/2021 at 4:50 AM, Wilhelm44 said:

Everything has it's positives and negatives, but I must say I'm struggling to find the positives in this one. Wearing a VR headset the whole day, not getting actual face time with people, seems like less and less connection. At some stage people are going to wake up and realize that this kind of technology really isn't making there lives any better. Steve Jobs said it's the best storytellers that have the power, like Walt Disney for example, but Jobs said he was tired of that bullshit and wanted to create a new narrative. Surely planet earth is capable of creating something a little bit more life affirming than the metaverse.

Is this true though? 

Isn't it a fundamental part of reality that everything has both positives and negatives?

5 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

Is this true though? 

Isn't it a fundamental part of reality that everything has both positives and negatives?

Yes, you are right. Guess I'm just a bit too old school for the metaverse :) 

9 minutes ago, Wilhelm44 said:

Yes, you are right. Guess I'm just a bit too old school for the metaverse :) 

I could hear dr demartini in my conscious, I was like i gotta ask 

Just now, Raptorsin7 said:

I could hear dr demartini in my conscious, I was like i gotta ask 

Spot on.

The biggest problem with the metaverse is that it is a fundamentally disembodied existence. I would have thought that spiritual forums, like the ones here at actualized.org, would be more attuned to this issue, given the amount of importance paid to issues of embodiment in spiritual practices like yoga, meditation, mindfulness, Buddhism, etc.

I also think we would be better off working out why we find our current reality to be so unhappy that we are eager to build some sort of "alternative" reality like the metaverse to which we can escape. Of course escape is only an illusion, as we will inevitable recreate in the metaverse the same problems we have left unaddressed here in the physical universe.

Edited by Boethius