Tim R

Solidifying strengths or improving weaknesses?

8 posts in this topic

Which of both should one focus on? Or both? How to know which one to focus on? 

Solidifying strength of course

Balance is a lie and everyone has a weakness.you are your main strength

In general, I'd say nurturing your strengths and finding ways to use them most effectively is the key to fulfilling life (considering that being the goal). Although, there might be some aspects you need to improve with yourself to be able to express those strengths effectively to get the positive output you desire. Sometimes those aspects tend to be your weaknesses.

And also, there are aspects which are linked with functional and healthy life, aspects that are around areas such as health, relationships, money, psychology, etc.. If you find aspects in yourself that you notice having a negative affect on your life, then it's probably a weakness of yours that requires some improvement.

Even though I see one's integration of strengths as a key to fulfilling life, I also see personal improvement and growth (in some level) to be mandatory, and those things usually require working on some essential weaknesses.

That's a good topic to contemplate in my opinion, because it takes us to the question of what we want out of life and how to get there.

Both..solidifying strengths tends to give more immediate returns.

Improving weaknesses can be painful, and takes way more time. However, the return on it more life-changing.

It's both. 

Unless you are very lucky and can just focus on your strengths. For eg, if you are a programmer and your job is to keep improving the system. Someone else will do the communication for you. You might get lucky and eventually sell the company for millions and millions of dollars.

For the majority however, we have to fend for ourselves. You are only as good as your weakest link. We have to get good at both the hard and soft skills. Little point dreaming about working in a top company when you can't even pass an interview or a technical test.

Both of course. On weaknesses first if it's something really harmful like past trauma or addictions for example. You do know what the single most important thing to do is atm if you ask yourself. 

Weaknesses keep you down. When they are out of the way it is easier to work on developing your strengths. 

Edited by BlackMaze

14 hours ago, Tim R said:

Which of both should one focus on? Or both?

Integrating the whole :P 

14 hours ago, Tim R said:

How to know which one to focus on? 

Intuition.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Improving your weaknesses will make you more balanced, while the opposite is true for solidifying your strengths.

I don't think one way is better than the other. But as long as I'm feeling above average, I always go for the latter. Otherwise, I go back to the basics.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)