Inception

You’re Imaging Yourself

65 posts in this topic

I’m currently imaging myself to be a human that was born and is living on Earth, in the Solar System, within the Milky Way. Now, in this reality I’m imagining this forum, and you currently reading this post.

But see, I have to create a whole backstory about you, as a human who was also born, went to school, and so on up until the point you’re reading this. I have to imagine your life down to the most trivial and minuscule details, like that time you stubbed your toe.

And so it goes for all other people. Even those I just walk by, those who appear at the corner of my eye, even for those I’ve just heard about. Not only do I have to imagine the people themselves, but also their parents, and their parent’s parents, etc. I have to do all this just to have a sense of reality.

Now this is where it gets really twisted: In order for me (you) to imagine you reading this post right now, you first have to imagine me (yourself) writing it, and so that’s what I’m (you’re) doing.

A mirror mirroing itself. Indra's net. Don’t you get it?

You’re imagining yourself…

"The magic you're looking for is in the work you're avoiding"

Excellent post, you really explained it well. I know that I'm just talking to myself right now but I guess that has to be done in order to escape from eternal aloneness.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Can a human really know the whole truth about God and the universe? I think it's arrogant to think you know these things. According to many great teachers, we can know the manifested (Shakti) but not the unmanifested (Shiva).

2 hours ago, Inception said:

True. Yet that imagined self still leaves an indelible trace upon time and space. 

Want to share this video I found, she explains what it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSv2v2xYDU

The latest psychedelics experience I go through, the more I get to the notion that its only me here and everything else was created by me to make my experience rich. The past was created for me, the entire history, my family, friends, even actualized.org as well as Leo was created by me to teach me and for me to realize that there is only me.

Before I always look either down or ironically at Solipsism, but as time goes on I come to realization that this is the absolute truth. It scares me though, but the question is, how do we know others exist, my guess is as good as your guess. 

Edited by Gennadiy1981

All one can know for certain is what is in their subjective experience at the precise moment being sensed. All conclusions made from what is being directly sensed are a foundation of shifting sand. The final claim at the end of your post also relies on there being anything you could ever accurately call a “you.” 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

3 hours ago, Inception said:

I’m currently imaging myself to be a human that was born and is living on Earth, in the Solar System, within the Milky Way. Now, in this reality I’m imagining this forum, and you currently reading this post.

But see, I have to create a whole backstory about you, as a human who was also born, went to school, and so on up until the point you’re reading this. I have to imagine your life down to the most trivial and minuscule details, like that time you stubbed your toe.

And so it goes for all other people. Even those I just walk by, those who appear at the corner of my eye, even for those I’ve just heard about. Not only do I have to imagine the people themselves, but also their parents, and their parent’s parents, etc. I have to do all this just to have a sense of reality.

Now this is where it gets really twisted: In order for me (you) to imagine you reading this post right now, you first have to imagine me (yourself) writing it, and so that’s what I’m (you’re) doing.

A mirror mirroing itself. Indra's net. Don’t you get it?

It's you imagining me imagining you.  It's you looking into your own mirror.  Now replace you with me and you have the cancelation of all separation.  Now - all of  this is conceptual.  Become it.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Tyler Durden

Merci Beaucoup! This was actually initially written as a reply to your post about media. Boy did I have to twist my mind for this one ?

@Seraphim

I’m not claiming this to be true, or that I know it. I’m not even claiming to be human. Sounds like you’re the one doing the claiming ?

Edited by Inception

@Gennadiy1981

Have you ever experienced something outside your own experience?

No, because if you did experience something outside of your own experience (whatever that means), it would be part of your experience.

Something outside of your experience can only exist as concept/fiction/fantasy in your experience.

Edited by Inception

8 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

All one can know for certain is what is in their subjective experience at the precise moment being sensed. All conclusions made from what is being directly sensed are a foundation of shifting sand.

So concluding that you’re an actual human who wrote that and is having an experience outside/separate of my own would be one such fallacy?

8 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

The final claim at the end of your post also relies on there being anything you could ever accurately call a “you.” 

I’m referring to the ones reading my post. Are they not actual? And if so, what are they? Figments of my imagination, I would be inclined to say.

1 hour ago, Inception said:

@Seraphim

I’m not claiming this to be true, or that I know it. I’m not even claiming to be human. Sounds like you’re the one doing the claiming ?

Some non-duality teachers say that after the final awakening we become a normal human again, but with a high level of consciousness and without the limiting beliefs and concepts. A human who believes that he is a human, few people would consider that belief delusional.

It's a strange loop.. Imagination Imagining Itself imagining itself imagining itself imagining itself..... 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

1 hour ago, Inception said:

So concluding that you’re an actual human who wrote that and is having an experience outside/separate of my own would be one such fallacy?

I’m referring to the ones reading my post. Are they not actual? And if so, what are they? Figments of my imagination, I would be inclined to say.

We are no more figments of imagination than the “you” is. This imagination is not self imagination. It’s Self imagination. The idea that you’re imagining something is a pretty intermediate stage in the understanding of this. It’s here immediately. There’s no imagination process you can verify, even for yourself, without completely relying on the flickering and ever-moving subjective present moment experience. As soon as it’s verified, it’s in the past. It’s gone and just beliefs. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

@Seraphim

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not claiming not to be human either. I’m not claiming anything at all. But let me ask you:

What is a human?

Are you human?

How did you become human?

What were you before you became human, and what will you be after?

@BipolarGrowth

I am. That’s what’s in my present experience. Yet you’re telling me I’m not. Am I supposed to take your word for it? Wouldn’t that just be more belief?

@Inception Hehe yes I get it :) But what you wrote about imagining each other also feels like one of those concepts or thoughts that fail to explain what this is.

"You are Imagining Yourself" is a relatively deceptive string of language.

For one, "you" implies a separate "me".   Who is it that you are addressing this statement to? The me who you are imagining?  Or is it me who is confused.. was the statement written by a you who I'm imagining?

"Reality is Imagining Itself" is perhaps a clearer pointer. A 'better map', if you will. 

For two, (maybe I get that I'm actually me talking to myself when I read "You are Imagining Yourself".. I didn't fall for my own deception this time.. yet, there's still the problem with the word 'imagining') the word 'imagining' has a couple of deceptive implications as well. "Imagining" sounds like something I am actively doing, intentionally or unintentionally. But can I stop doing it? How? More imagining? Also, if I'm Imaginary, if everything is Imaginary, then Imaginary means the same thing as Real.  

"Being" seems to be a word that doesn't carry these two implications as heavily.  You are Being Yourself. Reality is Being Itself.  I am [being myself].

"I am.  Ohhhh... I AM!!" - Leo Gura

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

19 hours ago, Inception said:

What about memory? By this logic I'm just making them up as I go along and believing that they relate to past events. But it doesn't feel like I'm actively creating them, rather I'm accessing thoughts, feelings, images etc which are already there in my mind - in a subconscious level until called up and become temporarily conscious.

Imagine if, in future, we can do a brain scan and actually find the neural pathways which correspond to our memories and make a connection between external events creating physical impressions in the brain, which 'are' my awareness of the past. Does that still mean I'm imagining it all, or is it all already in existence, with "I'm imagining this" as the ego's story to claim ownership?  

I dunno, just thinking out loud. 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

Guys, I think I might be getting what’s going on…

Don’t you see?

I’m imaging that I wrote this post. That’s what I’m trying to tell myself.

This is how I construct reality.