Someone here

How to deal with intense emotions?

11 posts in this topic

Especially negative emotions. To suppress or express them? 

For example.. If one is feeling like crying .. Should he let himself feel it to the fullest or suck it up? 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@acidgoofy thanks for the recommend. Will look it up. 

-Osho

Definitely do not suppress them. Be unconditionally present with your emotions in the way you would appreciate someone else's unconditional presence. Feel them as much as you can. Welcome them. Do nothing but be present with them. Accept them. Watch out for stories, narratives, beliefs that pull you away from feeling your emotions entirely. If you get distracted by thoughts, pull yourself back and regain your unconditional presence. 

I've come to think, based on my observation of my own emotions, that the core issue often isn't so much the emotions themselves as the resistance we bulld up against them - it's this which keeps them frozen in place. I know in my own experience that I had to make this inner resistance conscious first and then allow it to fall away, and the energy of the underlying emotion could then start to move and release.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

On 7.6.2021 at 9:16 AM, Someone here said:

To suppress or express them?  

Neither. Experience them and show to the outside environment your regular self, so no one knows what is happening inside of you. That is a spiritual training of the most high effectiveness. When you gain a certain degree of mastery, you'll know how to express them in a healthy way rather than in a destructive one - a thing which would happen if you express it with no training.

Greg

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

@Eternal Unity Well put!

On 6/7/2021 at 1:16 AM, Someone here said:

Especially negative emotions. To suppress or express them? 

For example.. If one is feeling like crying .. Should he let himself feel it to the fullest or suck it up? 

I see a distinction between crying and giving voice to a negative emotion.
I wouldn’t suppress crying but that just my opinion.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

On 6/7/2021 at 0:45 PM, Someone here said:

@acidgoofy thanks for the recommend. Will look it up. 

Definitely look it up - this is the solution. You will find out that letting go is neither suppressing, repressing or expressing. It's simply allowing them to unfold without resistance. You are like a pressure cooker, you simply remove the lid and allow the pressure to be released. It's a good book.

9 hours ago, Windappreciator said:

One should definitely not take abilify and ssri to numb them down.

How do you know that i take abilify? :D

Edited by Someone here

-Osho